My truck boobooed?

Kurt Busch

#1 CRYSTAL PALACE FAN
Established Member
Longitude: 122° 18' 50" W / Latitude: 47° 49' 16"
Here is the thing, I'm crusing around 60mph /2k when I need to speed up, I roll into the gas and about 3 seconds later my truck downshifts, revs up to 4k. this is happening without smashing the gas or anything, it just seems too eager to downshift and I don't like it becasue the spike is probably not good for the engine. What can I do? Is it me or the truck? It's stock minus the catback.

Also, sometimes when I turn either left or right and brake the same time I hear a popping noise coming from the front. The same thing happens without turning but braking hard, but it doesn't happen all the time. What could that be? Is this the washer thing I heard people talking about? :shrug:
Help me peoples

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
I haven't heard of a L being too "eager" to downshift. I dunno. I don't think it's too bad as long as you're not flooring it. Does it eat into the boost when it does that? That pop you're hearing is your clunk washer. Common problem. It is a common problem and can be solved by replacing the washer with one that fits correctly. Some people replace theirs and still hear the pop anyways. I was going to do it, but it's just a pop and it's really not that hard on the truck.

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
The clunk is a 50 dollar fix. Talk to Mark at lfp.

The downshift thing: Your pcm learns how you drive over time and adjusts to your style of driving. A downshift is no big deal, especially on a stock L. If you want to disconnect the battery and reset the pcm which will return the system to default. You will not hurt your L no matter how hard you drive it at stock boost and power levels, trust me I know. Plus it's under warranty so why worry?

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
I think he may be worried about long term tranny problems, but like you said... Nothing to worry about. You can buy the washers for under $20 if I'm not mistaken and you can easily do the install yourself. There's a how-to over on talonclub.com that also tells you who sells them. You won't need to do an alignment either, unless you replace the bolt.

Kurt Busch

#1 CRYSTAL PALACE FAN
Established Member
Longitude: 122° 18' 50" W / Latitude: 47° 49' 16"
Thanks guys.
yes it does eat into the boost it whines up in nanosecond to about 6psi. The fun part is that when this happens the truck goes from 60 to 100mph in about 3 seconds, maybe not that fast but it seems like it. Maybe I didn't teach her right, bad daddy. I may try the battery disconnect and look into the washer. thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread