My tranny has decided to throw a fit....wtf?

Socom688

Cobra > All other cars..
Established Member
So I have an '01 Lightning with a whipple @ 17psi, built shortblock and sct tune. My transmission is a remanufactored tranny from ford with about 25k miles on it. It is still under the 75k mile warranty.

Today as i'm making a U-turn, I decide to floor it from a first gear roll for fun. I lose traction immediently like normal, and the revvs shoot up real high like normal. Just as i'm about to let off the throttle, the revvs start to bog around redline and all of a sudden the transmission violently bucks and kicks into second gear. Now, whenever I accelerate from first gear, the truck will not shift out of first gear until I reach 3k-4.5k rpm, and will shift at a random RPM in between there depending on how much gas I am giving the throttle. After it shifts into second, it immediently and harshly shifts into third. When cruising in my apt complex in first gear, my car randomly bucked while in first gear. All 4 gears still work, including reverse.

What do you guys think happened? The transmission is stock, no valvebody or other modifications. The tuner turned up the shift pressure some, but not drastically, that was the only modification. I want to know what happened and be carefull about who I take it to so they don't try to void my warranty, pending something mechanical has been damaged.

Thanks..

Last edited:

04SB_SVT

Richard Cranium
Established Member
Try a battery reset. Unhook the negative lead, turn on the headlights for a few minutes. Turn off the the headlights, hook the negative lead back up. Drive it and see how it shifts.

Socom688

Cobra > All other cars..
Established Member
Try a battery reset. Unhook the negative lead, turn on the headlights for a few minutes. Turn off the the headlights, hook the negative lead back up. Drive it and see how it shifts.

interesting, I was thinking about restarting the ECU....why do you suggest to turn the headlights on and off?

s|ck

Established Member
Is your Overdrive Lightning Flashing On and Off? Any Codes? Do you have longtubes?

Socom688

Cobra > All other cars..
Established Member
Is your Overdrive Lightning Flashing On and Off? Any Codes? Do you have longtubes?

No to all three. Well, I haven't scanned it for codes but the CEL isn't on or anything.

It will bleed down any stored power in the electronics capacitors.

Oh, I see.

Thanks guys....i'm going to try the battery reset idea tomorrow and see if that helps. :smmon:

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
been there done that... its time for a new one. pull your dip stick and see if the fluid is a good clear red and smells like pancakes. if its not clear red or smells burnt. open up the check book. if it is clear and smells ok, pull the trans pan and inspect the valve body, when mine first started acting up my valve body had a broken spring. replaced the valve body and was fine for another year till the trans shit the bed

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
Have you done any exhaust work, you may have a pinched and shorted out a wire going to one of your 02 sensors. That would through the trans in limp mode. check all your wires and also check the wire harness that goes to the trans. a short anywhere will tell the pcm to put the trans in limp mode.

BriteRed20s

Established Member
Let us know how you make out with the tranny warranty from Ford. I'm guessing the engine mods might give you some problems.
Good luck!

Socom688

Cobra > All other cars..
Established Member

Ok so I did this and also checked the fluid. The fluid is still glossy red and appears to have a metallic smell....not a strong burnt smell, but still smells like metal.

The reset didn't fix the problem, but driving it more I have figured out that whenever the truck shifts into second, it immediently bucks out and shifts back into first, then third. Or, if I bring the RPMs high enough, it will shift directly into third. I am guessing I blew second gear :bored::bored::bored:

Socom688

Cobra > All other cars..
Established Member
Ok guys....so randomly as I was driving my transmission all of a sudden started to shift like normal again, through all the gears. So from a 4th gear roll I decided to give it a little bit of gas to get it to downshift and see how it would react when given some throttle/power...well it downshifted, bucked and immediently shifted back into third then 4th again. Now it's having shifting problems again even while grannying the throttle.

pull the VB and check the springs...

Messed up valve springs seem like a logical problem. All the gears work, but the tranny will randomly act ok one minute and throw a fit the next, and second gear seems to be the culprit.....i'm waiting on my guy to run my VIN through ford for the warranty info and go from there. I don't wanna risk my dumbass messing something up.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread