My Top End Run C5 vs. 03 Cobra

The Orphaner

Snake Charmer
Established Member
I was out today cruising around after coming back from a friends house. I pull into the BP off I-64 Teays Valley exit to fill up before heading home. Just so happens I see a clean Blue C5 filling up also, so I pull on the opposite side of the pumps. I tell him I like his Corsa Exhaust with the chrome tips and we begin to chat. He's from Indiana on way to Virginia. I then ask what else has he done to it and he says LS-6 Intake manifold :??: , TPIS Long Tubes, ASP Underdrive Pulleys, RM-Twinflow CAI. He said he had it dyno tuned with Vette Doctors and it pulled 381RWHP and 377 RWTQ. Dunno, but arent those #'s a little high for a non Z06 C-5 with those mods?

Anyway, I asked if he wanted to run them once we got back on the interstate. He was hesistant and asked me what I had done to my mustang (notice he didnt say Cobra). I told him Borla Stingers, CAI, and Pulley. He says, yeah his next door neighbor has underdrive pulleys, CAI, and exhaust on his mustang. I was laughing inside knowing that he didnt know this was an 03 Cobra.

So anyway he says, if you really want to run them then follow me back on. I was like OH YEAH!!:burnout: I let him get on the interstate before me and wait til it opens up to 3 lanes wide before I pull up beside him. We are going 80mph (WTF?) and I'm in 3rd, we nail it and i jump out 1/2 car before i shift to 4th and start walking and by the end of 4th I was out about 2~3 cars. I slow down and he says lets go again this time to 150mph. I was like ok. But I said this time start at 70mph. So we punch it at 70 and I get a better jump this time and pull him just the same, and before I realize it I had already shifted into 5th and the speedo was at 160+ and he was waaaaay back ~7 cars or so...its hard to judge that far back. But this time as I shift it easy into 6th and start to slow down he just keeps it floored and fly's by me and never slows down. :whine: Sore loosers, what can you say. Wonder if he tells his neighbor he got smoked by a Cobra going through WV when he gets back:cuss: I though you guys said that C5's would pull us on top end because of aerodynamics? What gives? :shrugs:

Today made my weekend. Makes me love my baby more every day !:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Sweet kill, those underdrive pulleys really help out! I wonder if he was really pushing that much hp at the rear with those mods? It is funny how so many people mistake our "mustangs" for the 14 second cars they're used to seeing. I love hearing this scenario over and over again. Never gets old!

Ryan00TJ

Established Member
With those mods a non Z06 would be at 340 max rwhp. Nice Kill!

The Orphaner, Where are you from in old WV? I'm from Fairmont and will be completing my new stage II head install here in the next week. Should have another 20-30rwhp over my current numbers. We should meet up sometime and do a HC LS1 vs Pullied 03 races!

The Orphaner

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by Ryan00TJ

The Orphaner, Where are you from in old WV? I'm from Fairmont and will be completing my new stage II head install here in the next week. Should have another 20-30rwhp over my current numbers. We should meet up sometime and do a HC LS1 vs Pullied 03 races!

Sounds good, would be a nice race. Email me sometime. I'm from Teays Valley. Email: [email protected] :thumbsup:

BayouVette

Far Beyond Driven
Established Member
he was just an exhaust with Headers C5.. It wouldn't have matter at any speed.. He had no chance..

I cant see how he would have anything more that 350rwhp and thats giving him a few.

Good kill...

RedFire2003

Established Member
good kill I ran my best friends C5 in the cobra when it was totally stock and his car was also stock and I killed him! We wenrt from 0-80 and I was afar enough ahead by the end of secong gear to pull into his lane. Then we hit the highway and took them to 160 and I must have had him by a good 7-9 cars.

ActionJack

Established Member
Nice Kill. Do you know if it was 01' or later?

I ran a 00' C5 a few weeks ago with just 2 runs from 45 to 80 and both I had 2 cars on him.

The Z06 is the one to worry about with a 03-04 Cobra. :beer:

02saleen346

Established Member
Originally posted by RedFire2003
good kill I ran my best friends C5 in the cobra when it was totally stock and his car was also stock and I killed him! We wenrt from 0-80 and I was afar enough ahead by the end of secong gear to pull into his lane. Then we hit the highway and took them to 160 and I must have had him by a good 7-9 cars.

I have an 03 cobra, stock eaton pullies and everything that bolts on, but anyways i was wondering why with a KB are you only running 11.8s? Are you spinning the tires? Im doin LOW 11.7s and thats without a ported Apten, i figured with a KB you would be LOW 11s HIGH 10s(with proper traction.)

ddd2001gt

Established Member
I beat a C5 Vette one day with the same mods done to it......wait no I didn't I drive a GT not a Cobra......**sigh**.....wish I had an 03 Cobra....

Anyways very good kill :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread