My Tonneau has bitten the dust

Socom688

Cobra > All other cars..
Established Member
So the stock tonneau on my '01 L is officially served. It's so beaten up and eroded that it's pealing and breaking away from the seams. Looks like complete crap.

I've been researching the crap out of soft covers, and from what i've gathered Ford doesn't make the factory cover anymore, and no companies out there offer a flush fitting OEM type replacement. I've been talking to Extang on the phone, who seem to offer the closest thing, but they discontinued the Saber which was the only flush fitting tonneau they offered for the Lightning bed type.

She said the only one they currently offer for the Lightning (that isn't a button down one) is this one:

Trifecta

But it raises up like an inch, it doesn't sit flush, and it has a little logo on the side of the rear which is kind of annoying.

So after searching here and researching I really can't come up with anything. Are there truley no options left for us guys that want a flush OEM replacement? I really don't like that raised look but at this point anything looks better than my ghetto ripped stock cover.

sacer6

Established Member
Mine got slashed and I took the old cover for parts to an auto upholstery shop and they made me one for $230.00, looks like stock.

SLVRBLT

Such is Life....
Established Member
My stock is starting to look like crap too. It's cracked at the sides towards the tailgate. A Gaylord Speedsturr is in my future plans.

MixMaker

I've got a fever!!
Established Member
I'm almost certain I have my stock one somewhere...and a hard cover for sale painted red. If you absolutely can't find what you're looking for.

Socom688

Cobra > All other cars..
Established Member
Mine got slashed and I took the old cover for parts to an auto upholstery shop and they made me one for $230.00, looks like stock.

hmmmm.....so they made you an entirely new cover or did they just fix the one that got slashed? Mine looks worse than our economy, its way beyond salvageable!

mix maker i'm gonna PM ya

JoeRacer

Established Member
I put a trifecta on mine because I wanted the tri-fold style. It is a lot more convenient than the stock one. If I need to open up my bed it takes about 10 seconds, and I can have it back in place in about the same. No rolling up the vinyl, and fooling with it to get it in place. I agree that it does stick up more than the stock one, but I don't think it looks strange (like the ARE hard covers that just look bulky and ugly to me). I'm happy to trade the raise in height for convenience. In the end it is just what you want out of the top.

Socom688

Cobra > All other cars..
Established Member
I put a trifecta on mine because I wanted the tri-fold style. It is a lot more convenient than the stock one. If I need to open up my bed it takes about 10 seconds, and I can have it back in place in about the same. No rolling up the vinyl, and fooling with it to get it in place. I agree that it does stick up more than the stock one, but I don't think it looks strange (like the ARE hard covers that just look bulky and ugly to me). I'm happy to trade the raise in height for convenience. In the end it is just what you want out of the top.

Do you have any pics of it?? I would love to see what it looks like! Did you get it from Cap World over on 17-92 in Sanford?

JoeRacer

Established Member
I got it from Amazon. I have a student Prime account, so I get free shipping on all items that are eligible. I paid $386.10 (no tax, free shipping).

My only 'complaints' with it is that the side is not perfectly smooth, there is a bit of a ripple where it folds. That is to be expected given the tri-fold design with soft top. My other problem with it is that it seems to be just a tad bit long. I have it centered perfectly for the gaskets to function properly, but it still seems to stick out about 1/2" too far on the back.

Like I said, it isn't as flush as the factory one, but I like the convenience of the trifold. The convenience to me is the important part, and it is why I got it.

I just went outside and took some quick snapshots of it for you:

IMG_2256.JPG

IMG_2257.JPG

IMG_2258.JPG

IMG_2259.JPG

Socom688

Cobra > All other cars..
Established Member
thanks for the pics man, that doesnt look too shabby, and if I can't get a custom one made from an upholestry shop, looks like that'll be my only choice. For some reason though that little red logo on the back bugs me.....I wish it didnt have it!

What year are you at UCF? I graduated back in May. First time our football team has been nationally ranked this year, and we go and lose to Southern Miss :shrug::fm: Are you going to the conf. championship game? I'll be there :rockon:

JoeRacer

Established Member
I'm a Junior, mechanical engineering. I'm planning on going to the game if I'm not doing anything else that weekend, but I have a bunch of stuff to take care of up in Jacksonville. So we will see ...

Users who are viewing this thread