My thoughts on the stall issue and predator fix for it.

cobra101

Established Member
OK. When my car was completely stock I had the stall issue.

I then added a CAI and the issue was lessened. It still had symtoms of stalling (dropping to 200rpm and then bouncing back up) but it stalled less frequently.

I then added/flashed my pcm with the predator performance tune, default settings. The stall went AWAY, PERIOD. It did NOT even have a symptom of stalling (going to 200rpm and bouncing off). It was FIXED with that alone.

Has anybody else, with a stalling issue, noticed after a predator flash it got better or disappeared?

OK, next I got a custum dyno tune done. They took my stock pcm code (YDH0) and customized it. All went well. However, now it (the idle) acts like it did when the car was new/CAI only. This makes sense to me because the new custum tune was based on my original code (the one from ford with the stalling).

There MUST be something in the parameters of the predator that cure/help this stall issue.

Also, raising the idle doesn't seem to help much as it still has the symtom of dropping to 200rpm and sometimes stalling.

any thoughts?

WS6JJP

Corn juice powered
Established Member
i dont think i ever had the stalling problem to begin with but i did have a low/uneven idle which was TOTALLY fixed by the Predator

CHeRNoBYL

Established Member
I set my drive and neutral idle both at 750RPM and my car never acted like it wanted to stall. Unfortunately, the tunes included with the Predator caused a lean condition which I was not comfortable driving around with. So, while I am waiting for James RWTD to send me a custom tune, I loaded the factory backup back in and whaddayaknow crappy idle and stalls. I still want to see a fix from Ford though because this problem needs to be resolved.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Originally posted by CHeRNoBYL
I set my drive and neutral idle both at 750RPM and my car never acted like it wanted to stall. Unfortunately, the tunes included with the Predator caused a lean condition which I was not comfortable driving around with. So, while I am waiting for James RWTD to send me a custom tune, I loaded the factory backup back in and whaddayaknow crappy idle and stalls. I still want to see a fix from Ford though because this problem needs to be resolved.

I'm in the exact same boat as you. I'm awaiting a new tune from James because my A/F wasn't where I wanted it and richening the mixture via the Predator didn't seem to be helping.

I also noticed that I had MORE stalls AFTER I flashed my ECM with the Predator even though it raised my idle somewhat.

U.M.

Chonger

The Korean Connection
Established Member
Had stalling problem. Installed predator tune and cranked up the idle to 850. No more stalling, period.

I think part of the problem may be from the super low idle set from the factory. Mine idled at around 600. The car would almost die when at a traffic light and the AC popped on.

CHeRNoBYL

Established Member
Originally posted by Uncle Meat
I'm in the exact same boat as you. I'm awaiting a new tune from James because my A/F wasn't where I wanted it and richening the mixture via the Predator didn't seem to be helping.

I also noticed that I had MORE stalls AFTER I flashed my ECM with the Predator even though it raised my idle somewhat.

U.M.

Just curious ... how long have you been waiting for your custom tune from RWTD?

78mphgpr

Under Estimated
Established Member
Mine stalled about twice a month with a M.O. Diablo chip, then I got a Predator, 2 months-not 1 single stall.

cobra101

Established Member
so, it looks like the predator is a decent fix for stall. most seem to notice it helped ALLOT.

I don't think it is just having the idle higher in the predator. My idle now (tune based on stock program) and it idles at 750 most of the time. It is just that stupid dip down to 100-200 rpm when in neutral and coming to a stop. There MUST be something in the predator that fixes/helps the idling.

anyways, for now I stall on occassion and it HAS happened at bad times on the street. Not too close to an accident but if your not prepared for it, it can certainly cause an accident.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Originally posted by CHeRNoBYL
Just curious ... how long have you been waiting for your custom tune from RWTD?

James is really backed up right now due to the holidays so bare with him until he gets caught up! I got an email from him last night apologizing for the delay in sending me the updated tune. I told him to hold off, his shop is only a 3 hour drive from my house so I'm going to drive down there and have him tune my car personally. That way I don't have to send tune files back and forth via email.

U.M.

Users who are viewing this thread