My SVTP Homies!! Help Me Buy A Car Long Distance!!

Euphoric One

Uncommon Sense
Established Member
So I'm getting rid of the Crap soon and I'm looking to buy a used F150 with a very specific set of qualities with a very specific price range. Needless to say, I can't find anything local.

I found one that appears to be exactly what I'm looking for...but it's 222 miles from my house. How do I check this vehicle out and make sure it's mechanically sound before purchasing and going to pick it up?

My best idea so far was to complete the following steps:

• Do the usual Carfax thing.
  • Ask the seller to provide me with pics of the car from every angle. Hi-Res.
  • Contact a local Ford dealer and find a way to get the car there for a paid vehicle inspection.

Regarding the last point, does anyone know if that is possible? I would like to contact a local Ford dealer, have them perform a complete inspection on the car and clue me in on what I'm dealing with. I'm just not sure if the seller would be willing to take it there for me and if the dealer would be willing to deal with someone over the phone like that.

Any other bright ideas?

ff500

Established Member
What are you looking for ? I just went through all this looking for my truck, there were some nice used ones at decent prices.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
If it's only 222 away I'd get everything set up financially and take the trip. If you don't want it just drive back.

Tell the guy to take it to the dealer and you can split the cost of the inspection. If you buy it you'll pay for all of the inspection.

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
When I sold my Bronco (in Utah) I had a guy contact me from Texas. We had discussed the car at length and I provided him with > 25 pictures of just about every angle of the car (including underneath). He paid for a thorough inspection on the car, but eventually backed out.

That said, I don't think it's unreasonable for the seller to arrange for a butt-load of pictures and getting the vehicle to and from a shop within a reasonable distance. Locate a handful of shops before-hand in the area and let them know if they are inspecting it you are the one paying and they will report the results to you and only you to avoid any issues with the buyer.

Cobra Was Here

I Miss My Cobra
Established Member
I had my old 98 checked out at a Washington Ford dealer before sending my dad up to buy it. They were supposed to charge me like 85 dollars but since it was so pristine with <10k miles they said it was free. The car really ended up being perfect and mechanically sound.

90slow50

90slow5.0
Established Member
Your profile says "Midwest." I am in KC area (not sure where the car is) and I am just guessing I might be close, so if you need my help let me know via PM.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
So I'm getting rid of the Crap soon and I'm looking to buy a used F150 with a very specific set of qualities with a very specific price range. Needless to say, I can't find anything local.

I found one that appears to be exactly what I'm looking for...but it's 222 miles from my house. How do I check this vehicle out and make sure it's mechanically sound before purchasing and going to pick it up?

My best idea so far was to complete the following steps:

• Do the usual Carfax thing.
  • Ask the seller to provide me with pics of the car from every angle. Hi-Res.
  • Contact a local Ford dealer and find a way to get the car there for a paid vehicle inspection.

Regarding the last point, does anyone know if that is possible? I would like to contact a local Ford dealer, have them perform a complete inspection on the car and clue me in on what I'm dealing with. I'm just not sure if the seller would be willing to take it there for me and if the dealer would be willing to deal with someone over the phone like that.

Any other bright ideas?

222 miles is barely a three hour drive. Just take the trip there and see for yourself.

Euphoric One

Uncommon Sense
Established Member
What are you looking for ? I just went through all this looking for my truck, there were some nice used ones at decent prices.

I'm looking for a black F-150 in the 98-01 range with <150k miles with a max price of $7,000. The XLTs with flare sides are badass.

This is the one I was talking about. Pretty much exactly what I want:
12101140417.264327455.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

12101140419.264327455.IM1.03.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

Sadly, it's on eBay and it looks like it's going to sell in 30 minutes for $4700. Only has 120k mile son it.

When I sold my Bronco (in Utah) I had a guy contact me from Texas. We had discussed the car at length and I provided him with > 25 pictures of just about every angle of the car (including underneath). He paid for a thorough inspection on the car, but eventually backed out.

That said, I don't think it's unreasonable for the seller to arrange for a butt-load of pictures and getting the vehicle to and from a shop within a reasonable distance. Locate a handful of shops before-hand in the area and let them know if they are inspecting it you are the one paying and they will report the results to you and only you to avoid any issues with the buyer.

Yeah, I didn't think I was the first person to think of the certified dealer inspection when doing a long distance deal.

Your profile says "Midwest." I am in KC area (not sure where the car is) and I am just guessing I might be close, so if you need my help let me know via PM.

Thanks mang. I'm in Michigan. I'd probably be willing to do 240 miles south though.

222 miles is barely a three hour drive. Just take the trip there and see for yourself.

Eh, I would do that for a more expensive car...not a $4-7k truck though. I'm trying to find some shortcuts! :thumbsup:

hand-to-ball

That Was Just Your Life
Established Member
Note on Carfax: yes it will give you the ownership and dmv records, and even accidents where the police were involved. HOWEVER - if the police do not show up (say drivers exchange info and move on) then the accident will not show up. Carfax's biggest downfall (and I consider it significant) is that they do not have access to insurance companies files, so it is never reported. Think about how many accidents occur where the police do not show up. And surprisingly those crafty Carfax commercials don't tell you that.

I learned the hard way when I bought an M5 with a clean carfax and was even CPO from Schaeffer BMW, but turned out to have had the whole front clip repainted, with some bad body work to boot. Went like stink but the paint mismatched horribly. I will NEVER buy a used car out of state or at a distance without going to see it first. I'm into niche vehicles, so I can't just search autotrader.

I bought my Cobra in Maryland from the original owner, a very nice guy who painted a fair picture of the car. Despite that, I still spent $199 on a round trip ticket plus $30 on a rental to personally inspect it. Turned out to be clean as advertised but what piece of mind I had on that drive home. That $230 bucks was small potatoes compared to the ~$20k plus investment I had just made. Hope this helps.

edit: 222 miles is nothing - go drive there and check it out. So you spend a few bucks on gas and take a half day trip, no big deal...you'll be glad you did.

If you would like some specifics on what to look for in terms of paintwork, let me know.

Last edited:

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
I just bought a cobra from Georgia lol. Ask lots of questions and get lots of pictures. 222 miles is not even a day trip to go see it. Take the ride out there to check it out in person, drive it, and take it in for an inspection at a dealership. Good luck!

highdensity007

Best wifey EVAR!
Established Member
When I bought a Supra years ago (1400 miles away) I paid a local independent garage a diagnosis fee to check out the car. Owner was cool with taking it to the independent garage. Only cost me $80 to find out the car was in excellent condition. Fast forward a few years, I think my ex still has it, lol, it was a damn good car when I had it.

Users who are viewing this thread