My SVTF is really starting to piss me off.

sonic_4.6

Cobra Commander
Established Member
So I have an 02 SVTF with 58k miles, and it is not making Ford look too good IMO.

Lately I have noticed that the rear inner tires have been wearing oddly, then not even a week later the front suspension started making horrible clunking noises over every single bump on the road. Soon after the check engine came on for no reason, then just the other day the brake light came on for no reason. :cuss:

Now I've heard that the suspension issues are a common problem with these cars, so what usually causes these problems with the front/rear suspension? I don't feel like taking it into Ford just for them to charge me an arm just for an easy fix. Any thoughts would help. Thanks guys! :)

HalfTime

Race it how you drive it.
Established Member
The rear, cam bolts are a cheap fix. Check ebay, they're usally like 40 bucks a pair. Things get lose and broke in over time, some new camber bolts will tighten it all up. The front sounds like the top tranny mount is lose. Check under the stock batery location, that mount likes to work it's self lose over time, and cause some crazy clunking noises on bumps, starts, and stops. Hope that helps man.

Last edited:

sonic_4.6

Cobra Commander
Established Member
The rear, cam bolts are a cheap fix. Check ebay, they're usally like 40 bucks a pair. Things get lose and broke in over time, some new camber bolts will tighten it all up. The front sounds like the top tranny mount is lose. Check under the stock batery location, that mount likes to work it's self lose over time, and cause some crazy clunking noises on bumps, starts, and stops. Hope that helps man.

Thanks for the bolt suggestion. Although the tranny mount probably is lose too, I'm pretty sure she has something lose on the front suspension. I really don't know where exactly it is coming from though. It's annoying. :cryying:

elliot400

Certifiable SVT Poster
Established Member
Lower mount can fail altogether, mine did. Have the guys check it out, cheap Prothane fix. $16 mount inserts. I needed to lube up the front springs every once in a while. Good luck, and remember this is still based on a $9000 car, so we're bound to have some issues. E-

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
Rattle up front could be sway bar end links also, very annoying but simple to fix.

I doubt the brake light came on for no reason. Check the fluid level, either your pads are nearly gone or the clutch master cylinder is leaking. The clutch and brakes share a reservoir so if the clutch leaks the fluid drops and the brake light comes on.

sonic_4.6

Cobra Commander
Established Member
I really wish I would have checked this thread sooner....

Now the clutch master cylinder went bad, and leaked fluid all over the drivers side carpet. I'm not too happy with the SVTF, which I never thought I would say. :(

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
I'm glad I checked this thread....sounds like I have some "maintainence" to do.

Course add that up to new shocks, the timing belt, front brakes and rotors and I may just be trading it in. :shrug:

Ataru

Established Member
You have 58K miles on the car......things wear out over time and use. It's not too surprising to see these things creep up with that many miles on the car.

Users who are viewing this thread