My Shelby Has Been Ordered!

SVTKen

Established Member
Sorry, but this is a bit long...

First here's a little history of my experience with this dealer. I test drove a Roush RS3 at the dealership this past summer. I also had sent an e-mail to the salesman a few days before my test drive detailing the options I wanted in the Shelby GT500. I explained that I wanted to test the closest thing they had to Shelby before making my decision (and had already tested a 2012 GT500 at another dealership). The salesman was a really nice guy. After the test drive, I told him I wasn't interested in the Roush, but would consider ordering a Shelby if the price was acceptable. We sat down and talked about what I wanted and the sales director entered the information into the computer and printed out a preliminary order with all the options. Unfortunately, the sales director dropped the ADM bomb ($10K). I told him I wasn't interested at that price point and walked away from the deal. I didn't even try to negotiate and they didn't seem interested in trying to get me to come back and make a deal.

Flash forward to late last week when I sent an e-mail to the salesman I met with this summer. I explained in the e-mail that I was not a tire kicker and was serious about purchasing the Shelby. I also reminded him that I was the one that took the Roush for a test drive. I told him if they had an allocation at MSRP, I wanted it. He said he would check with his sales director because he handles all the orders, and would let me know if he could do the deal at MSRP.

I got a call and e-mail from the salesman on Wednesday, and he said they had an extra allocation Ford just gave them and that the sales director had agreed on MSRP. He also explained that they needed my order information ASAP because they only had until the end of the day to place the order. The salesman even sent me what he recalled I wanted in the car, and asked for confirmation by 5 PM. I was unable to respond back by 5 because I was at work, but I responded back ASAP and said I wanted the allocation. The salesman either has an excellent memory or is well organized and kept good notes on what I wanted (I didn't even list what I wanted in my most recent e-mail to him). When I called him the next day he explained that the order had been placed and it was mine if I wanted it. Remarkably, it was exactly what I wanted.

Here's the most amazing thing about the whole situation. I told him this summer that I wanted a stripe delete car. I had since changed my mind about that, and wanted the matte black stripes on it. They ordered the car with the matte black tape stripes, exactly the way I wanted it, and that was just a sheer stroke of good luck. They could have just as easily put white stripes on it, which would have been a deal breaker for me. Another crazy thing is that the salesman didn't remember that I wanted the Recaro seats, but fortunately the sales director added them! That was really the only thing the salesman had incorrect, and the sales director must have been reading my mind, or just decided to load it with them even if I may not want them.

There was a slight scare when I got to the dealership though. When I arrived, the sales director told me the order has been pulled and I couldn't change anything. The internet sales guy didn't seem to think the order had the Recaros, but he was wrong. The sales director printed the vehicle order confirmation and it was perfect:

Deep Impact Blue Shelby Coupe
Matte Black over the top Stripes and GT500 side accents
Recaro Seats
Electronics Package with Navigation
SVT Performance Package
SVT Track Package
Shaker Pro Audio

The order had been placed before I even put down my deposit because they wanted it if I didn't! I trust this dealer and believe they have the allocation. There would have to be a huge conspiracy between the salesman, internet sales manager, and sales director. I should have probably just gone straight to the sales director when I got there because he was the one that had the order information and he was the one who placed the order.

The internet sales guy says the order has been pulled and that the car is already in production. Is it unusual for this to have happened so quickly and for orders to be "locked down" right away? They received a redistribution (I think that's what he called it). He explained that Ford gives extra allocations to dealers that sell the most Mustangs, and I know as a fact that this dealer sells lots of them. At any given time they typically have 40 Mustangs on their lot including 3-4 Roush Mustangs, a Boss 302, and loads of 5.0s and V6 Mustangs. He also explained that they have a limited amount of time to respond and accept the
"surprise" (my words) allocation. I've never heard about anything like this here on the forum. Does this make sense?

For months, I was checking their inventory on a regular basis and there was only one time that I ever saw a Shelby, and the next day I checked it was gone! The sales director says every 2013 Shelby has sold before it hit the showroom. I parked my car near a black Shelby with white stripes that was sold to a man who purchased it for his 17 year old son!

I'm very excited about this car! As a matter of fact, I don't think I've ever been more excited about any car!

Last edited:

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Unfortunately, I will be surprised if you get a 2013 model. Hopefully you don't care if it's a '13 or '14. Congrats on your order though! :beer:

bebonham

Established Member
yeah I'm in the exact same situation. I think it even happened on the same day for me... Halloween. I called some dealer in Scottsdale and it just happened to be perfect timing. they took my deposit over the phone and that was it. I have the dealer order confirmation, but that's it. So we'll see. If it works out for me I am very lucky cause I made 2 phone calls before that. So it took me about a day to find my car.

the dealer said the next thing I'd hear would be from Ford...

Snoopy49

Established Member

Make sure you call SVT (800-367-3788 option 1) and make sure your car has been ordered. You will need your order number and dealer code. Your cars status should be unscheduled-clean if it has an allocation, the next step is getting the VIN and Build week. Once you they tell you that a VIN has been assigned, you can contact your dealer for the VIN or contact Deysha (FordCustomerService) @ Mustang Source, in the 2013 Ordered/Built/Delivered Thread and she can hook you up with your VIN.
Good luck with the car.

Planeswalker

Established Member
I have been amazingly lucky with my order. Talked my dealer on a Wednesday and they said I had until end of day to decide on options, I thought they were BSing me until I got my VIN on that Friday! Also my car got loaded on the train the day after the build date, and will be here in the next 3 days. I'm probably the shortest wait time for a special order.

SVTKen

Established Member
yeah I'm in the exact same situation. I think it even happened on the same day for me... Halloween. I called some dealer in Scottsdale and it just happened to be perfect timing. they took my deposit over the phone and that was it. I have the dealer order confirmation, but that's it. So we'll see. If it works out for me I am very lucky cause I made 2 phone calls before that. So it took me about a day to find my car.

Yes, happy Halloween!!! Your situation is making me trust the deal even more. It seemed too good to be true at the time, and there was definitely some luck involved with mine. They could have screwed up the order, but miraculosly got it right for every option and even the stripe color.

Make sure you call SVT (800-367-3788 option 1) and make sure your car has been ordered. You will need your order number and dealer code. Your cars status should be unscheduled-clean if it has an allocation, the next step is getting the VIN and Build week. Once you they tell you that a VIN has been assigned, you can contact your dealer for the VIN or contact Deysha (FordCustomerService) @ Mustang Source, in the 2013 Ordered/Built/Delivered Thread and she can hook you up with your VIN.

Good luck with the car.

Will do. I will try today, but I don't know if they are open on weekends.

I have been amazingly lucky with my order. Talked my dealer on a Wednesday and they said I had until end of day to decide on options, I thought they were BSing me until I got my VIN on that Friday! Also my car got loaded on the train the day after the build date, and will be here in the next 3 days. I'm probably the shortest wait time for a special order.

That is EXACTLY what my dealer told me! He had my order exactly the way I wanted it even though I hadn't provided it in my most recent message to him. I responded too late to change anything, but he had good notes and must have kept all my e-mail messages from the summer. Apparently, my car is already in production and I should have a VIN soon too. Fingers crossed :)

I have all the information including the Vehicle Order Confirmation with the Order Number and Dealer ID at the top.

Last edited:

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Yes- there are currently redistributed allocations that are pretty much "speak now or forever hold your peace"

And that will be it for any remaining allocations- once these are gone. They're gone til '14

SVTKen

Established Member
Yes- there are currently redistributed allocations that are pretty much "speak now or forever hold your peace"

And that will be it for any remaining allocations- once these are gone. They're gone til '14

Wow! Sounds like I got extremely lucky and my timing could not have been better sending the message to the salesman last week. If I hadn't sent him the notice that I was still interested, who knows how they would have ordered it.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Wow! Sounds like I got extremely lucky and my timing could not have been better sending the message to the salesman last week. If I hadn't sent him the notice that I was still interested, who knows how they would have ordered it.

Probably loaded to the roof for stock lol

SVTKen

Established Member
Probably loaded to the roof for stock lol

Yep, it's loaded just the way I wanted it with everything except the car cover and glass roof. It's a miracle they ordered it with the black stripes, which is exactly the way I wanted it. If it had the white stripes (or any other color) on the roof and seats, I would still be searching.

The dealer claims he had two allocations and mine was given a higher priority over the other, which will go into stock if it doesn't have a buyer when it arrives. It's a black coupe with black stripes and has everything except the glass roof and car cover, equipped just like mine.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Apparently, my car is already in production and I should have a VIN soon too. Fingers crossed :)

You will get a VIN before it goes into production. I got my VIN last Thursday and it is not scheduled to be built until the week of Jan 7th. The last week of the 2013 Mustang production year. Unless Ford changed it's schedule?:eek:

SVTKen

Established Member
Ken,
Did the dealer tell you when the car was scheduled to be built?

I didn't ask because I didn't think they would know yet. I'm calling the 800 number for SVT on Monday to see if they can give me more information about it. Supposedly, the order has already been pulled and that's why nothing could be changed on the order.

You will get a VIN before it goes into production. I got my VIN last Thursday and it is not scheduled to be built until the week of Jan 7th. The last week of the 2013 Mustang production year. Unless Ford changed it's schedule?:eek:

They said I should have a VIN by the end of next week. We'll see...now the waiting begins.

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Established Member
My car went to unscheduled-clean on Oct 16th and the VIN was assigned two weeks later on Nov 1st.
Since there are only 27 productions day left in this model year and the plant will be closed until Nov 26th, I don't know how much longer the order banks will be open.
Deysha (FordCustomerService) over on the Mustang Source forum said that scheduling would still be done while the plant was closed.

SVTKen

Established Member
I got my VIN. My car will be built on December 17th. This is happening pretty quick considering it was just ordered late last week.

SVTKen

Established Member
UPDATE:

I just downloaded my window sticker. My car will be built on 12/18. Not too bad considering my order was placed on October 31st. The original date provided was just the build week. If all goes as expected, I should have my car before the end of January.

I asked SVT how long it takes to be delivered, and they indicated it would be 3-6 weeks. Does this sound about right? What were your experiences with the wait from build date to delivery date? How long did it take for yours to be delivered once it was built?

I am so excited about getting my car, but I know I'm going to have to wait even longer. Ugh!

san6279

Established Member
Can't comment on actual duration, but can your dealer now help you track actual location and ETA during the shipping process?

SVTKen

Established Member
Can't comment on actual duration, but can your dealer now help you track actual location and ETA during the shipping process?

The guy from SVT told me to call back soon after the build date, and he could give me an estimate of when to expect it. I believe some people here had their cars delivered quickly (less than two weeks) and others waited months. I think it largely depends on where your dealer is located. If your dealer is in a small, rural area with few Ford dealerships receiving cars, then it will take longer before the rail car headed your way is full. If you live in a large metro area like me, the rail car destined to your area will fill more quidkly.

I can't get the car soon enough. I just want to have it so I can stop thinking and worrying about it. I don't care if it comes when it's cold and raining/snowing (but I won't be driving it in the snow!). I just want to get it home and in my garage ASAP.

Users who are viewing this thread