My Senior Project - Gas Turbine Engine

cobra_matt

Established Member
I'm majoring in mechanical engineering and one of my last courses was the senior design class. I, along with four other people, chose to design and build a gas turbine engine. Luckily no one died and nothing exploded haha. Here are some pictures and a video of it running: (sorry for the crappy pics, they were "snapshots" taken from video footage)

Video100m14s.jpg

Video200m00s.jpg

Video300m02s.jpg

Video600m19s.jpg

Video602m15s.jpg

Video700m26s.jpg

Video100m09s.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c__ndBoW4dg"]YouTube - Gas Turbine Engine - CSULB Engineering Senior Project[/ame]

Last edited:

cobra_matt

Established Member
pretty cool man! sounds pretty sick

Thanks! It sounds pretty sick in person too. The video muffles out the sound though; it's almost to the point where you need some ear plugs lol

put it on a go kart! :D

That was the original plan but time was the deciding factor. If it was a two semester class then we would've done it without a doubt. We were gonna keep it after we graduate and try to fab up a go kart or stick it on a dirt bike some how, but my school wants to buy it from us so we'll see.

Last edited:

INJECTEDGT

Established Member
Man At school we an allison 250 turbo shaft and i'll be damned if I didn't piss the instructor off trying to talk him him into puttin it on a go cart.My buddy made the same thing. Took a turbocharger and added a combustion chamber and let it rip....man I love turbines!!! Good job man!

Sammyboy

Established Member
Awesome project by the way.

I'm actually co-oping with BorgWarner Turbo and emission systems and we get the pick of the litter with all of the "post-tested" turbo's. Well...a couple of us decide (after seeing a few Youtube videos of the turbine engine) that we'll attempt it. To make a long story short, we ended up spinning it too fast and blowing it up. I'm glad God decided to give me an extra eye.

cobra_matt

Established Member
did you put an afterburner on it?

No, that's a pyrometer on the nozzle. That would be cool if it had an afterburner on it though.

Man At school we an allison 250 turbo shaft and i'll be damned if I didn't piss the instructor off trying to talk him him into puttin it on a go cart.My buddy made the same thing. Took a turbocharger and added a combustion chamber and let it rip....man I love turbines!!! Good job man!

Thanks! Yeah our professor was reluctant to even let us do this project. The machine shop guy didn't want us to run it at school, but we talked him into.

Awesome project by the way.

I'm actually co-oping with BorgWarner Turbo and emission systems and we get the pick of the litter with all of the "post-tested" turbo's. Well...a couple of us decide (after seeing a few Youtube videos of the turbine engine) that we'll attempt it. To make a long story short, we ended up spinning it too fast and blowing it up. I'm glad God decided to give me an extra eye.

We were afraid of spinning it too fast because the turbo we used was a cheap one that we got from some guy on craigslist. We weren't sure if the blades were gonna rip apart from the centripital force, but we kept it around 36,000-50,000 RPMs and 7-15 psi of boost pressure. It all worked out and ran fine!

Users who are viewing this thread