My roommate ****ed up... LEO's only please

themadgnome

I don't talk stock
Established Member
**UPDATE in 6th post**

This is going to be a long post, and I will try to explain things as accurately as possible. But for those who don't want to read the whole thing, there will be cliff notes at the end.

Last night me and my roommate went to separate parties to watch the Uf and OU game; I got a ride, whereas he drove himself. Both had alcohol involved, and his night ended worse than mine. While at his party, he gave a co-worker of his the keys to his car so he could go to the gas station and get a pack of cigarettes. Somehow during this excursion, the driver was involved in an accident (not sure if he was aware or not) which left the side step of my roommates Tahoe almost completely ripped off. I am assuming it was the co-workers fault otherwise the accident would not have been reported by the other driver.

Later that night, my roommate got in his car to drive home and was pulled over by the Gainesville Police Dept. The officer emerged from his car with his gun drawn and from the loud speaker asked my roommate to step out of the vehicle. After detaining him, he informed him that the vehicle was reported in a hit and run accident earlier that night.

My roommate told the officer that it was impossible because he has been at a party (oops) all night. But suddenly he remembered that he had allowed his co-worker to borrow the car to go get cigarettes. The officer was completely understanding of that situation, but quickly turned his attention to the fact that he was leaving a party after 3 a.m. just after the game.

He preformed a FST which he passed everything but the standing on one foot exercise because of a previous motorcycle accident that broke both of his ankles (he informed the officer of the injury but was told to do the test anyways). Subsequently, the officer had him do a breathalyzer test whereby he blew a .113 pretty much sealing the deal on that part and landing him a night at county.

As of now, the hit and run charges are pending because of his statement/cooperation with the arresting officer. Unfortunately, my roommate thinks that as long as he clears things up with the owner of the other vehicle involved in the accident, the hit and run charges will be dropped. But because of the fact that he's really mad at himself for getting the D.U.I, I didn't have the heart to tell him that the hit and run charges will likely still stand unless his co-worker confesses to being the driver at the time of the accident.

So my question is whether a hit and run (without injuries) in the state of Florida is a misdemeanor or a felony?

Furthermore, just in case his co-worker is not willing to turn himself in, I began thinking about the situation. If on a worst-case-scenario basis, this goes to trial, isn't the burden of proof on the state to prove that my roommate was the one operating the vehicle at the time of the accident? If so, wouldn't an alibi or gas station security camera be enough to prove he was not the driver?

With all of that said, I want to be very clear-- he is not protesting the D.U.I in any way, he is completely willing to accept the consequences of his own actions, just not the actions of someone else. But before I break the news to him about the hit and run charges, I want to be sure that they are in fact a misdemeanor or a felony.

***CLIFF NOTES (as promised)***
-Are hit and run charges (without injuries) a felony or misdemeanor in the state of Florida?

-How does this affect the owner of the vehicle if the accident occurred while someone else (in the absence of the owner) was operating the vehicle?

-What happens if the "real" driver of the vehicle is not willing to turn himself in?

I appreciate (well actually my roommate) any advise, and normally I would tell him to seek legal counsel, but he refuses to do so as of now because he does not realize the consequences of the hit and run, he is "hoping" the charges will disappear.

Last edited:

ZChaos0026

Established Member
Hit and run w/o inj. is a misd.

The state will have to prove your roommate was driving to convict him of that. It's his car, so that is one strike against him, but if he can collect witnesses that will put him at the party during the crash, and not in the vehicle, then thatll help. He needs to get an attorney...and getting this co-worker to fess up would be great for his case. (when looking for a witness, try to find one who will state that he/she witnessed your roommate hand the keys over to co-worker at x time, who then returned at y time and returned the keys to roommate and as always, 3rd party witnesses always look better)

but ill say it again...he needs a lawyer...

themadgnome

I don't talk stock
Established Member
Alright, it's sounding a little better than I thought. I will talk to him about it today about everything and TRY to convince him to get an attorney, but chances are if its only a misdemeanor he will likely just take the charges (that's how he is). Like I said, I was not at the party he was at, so I don't know if there are any witnesses that saw him hand over the keys but hopefully there will be someone willing to cooperate.

Thanks for the help guys, and I'll try to keep this updated.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Alright, it's sounding a little better than I thought. I will talk to him about it today about everything and TRY to convince him to get an attorney, but chances are if its only a misdemeanor he will likely just take the charges (that's how he is). Like I said, I was not at the party he was at, so I don't know if there are any witnesses that saw him hand over the keys but hopefully there will be someone willing to cooperate.

Thanks for the help guys, and I'll try to keep this updated.

He should get an attorney as he really doesnt want two misdemeanors on his record. A lot of employers will consider one conviction but not multiple convictions and that doesnt even take into account any position that requires licensure or a security clearance.

themadgnome

I don't talk stock
Established Member
Well, it turns out that my roommate got his wish. He went to court, plead guilty to the DUI and it turns out the Hit and Run charge did actually disappear. Needless to say he is as happy as the situation would allow.

Just wondering how this might happen? Also, is it still possible, after going to court, that he could be tried again for the hit and run?

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Charges in Florida do not "disappear." Either there was an adjudication or the A.S.A. dropped the charge, or he got some form of pre-trial intervention.

themadgnome

I don't talk stock
Established Member
Charges in Florida do not "disappear." Either there was an adjudication or the A.S.A. dropped the charge, or he got some form of pre-trial intervention.

Oh, I know, that's why I'm a little skeptical of the situation.

When he was pulled over he immediately told the officer that a friend had driven the vehicle earlier that night, so I'm wondering if that is what lead to the charges "disappearing"? But then again, the reason he got pulled over is because the vehicle was reported in a hit and run earlier that night. I know there was no pre-trial intervention, but maybe they adjudicated the hit and run charges for the DUI ( in other words, they forfeited the "smaller" charges of hit and run for the DUI)? Not sure if this is common practice, just a thought.

I've tried asking him but he doesn't really know nor does he want to know what happened. He had a public defender that largely kept him in the dark when it came information about the proceedings. She basically told him to sit back and relax, so he really doesn't know what happened, or how the hit and run charges "disappeared".

I'm just wondering if he could be charged with hit and run even after he went to court and plead guilty for DUI (bearing in mind, both incidents occurred at the same time and were "supposedly" issued by the same officer)?

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Established Member
I'm just wondering if he could be charged with hit and run even after he went to court and plead guilty for DUI (bearing in mind, both incidents occurred at the same time and were "supposedly" issued by the same officer)?

In the civil world there is compulsory joinder or causes of action arising out of the same transaction/incident. However, in the criminal world charges may be brought at different times unless they are lesser includeds.

Users who are viewing this thread