My Road Atlanta experience...

Tyler72

Established Member
Well, yesterday I did a little PDX at Road Atlanta. I was running my slicks & Carbotech XP12 pads. Car did fine & I had a great time. Got signed off on level C (highest level under instructor). I was hitting 140 on the back straight. The car could have gone faster but I was afraid to pish it any harder lol. The down hill turn (11) after the bridge is a little scary but fun. My only complaint was that after a few laps I was having shifting issues. Car would not shift 3-4, 4-5 without a lot of effort. Any suggestions on fixing this? I do have the trans cooler scoop installed. I would love to swap to a T56 Magnum but its simply no it my budget. I wouldnt mind keeping the MT-82 if I could get all the bugs worked out. Seems like an impossible task though.

Tyler72

Established Member
Lol, yeah I already have the 2 post bracket and that helped a lot. I don't dislike the stock shifter 90% of the time. I feel that my issue wasn't the shifter at all though because I was hitting the gates with no issues, it just simply wouldn't go in gear. So it's either the trans (maybe fluid?) or the clutch not fully disengaging. The pedal did stick to the floor once too... With all this said, I don't recall having any issues on the down shifts though.

KonaFifty

Established Member
i would just try the mgw shifter, clutch line and whiteline trans mount and see how that works out before pulling the trigger on a new trans. Clutch can be changed down the line also.

Tyler72

Established Member
I don't see how a shifter is going to help when I'm not having trouble hitting the gates? Whatever the issue is, it seems to possibly be heat related. Which clutch line? JPC?

paulwalll

Established Member
I went to the the track this weekend at Summit Piont in West Virginia. I was using 3-4-5 gear and revving it up to 6500-7000 every shift without any issues. I have a MGW shifter and the clutch pedal assist spring removed. Try removing the assist spring and see if it helps next time.

Boss949

Established Member
Well, yesterday I did a little PDX at Road Atlanta. I was running my slicks & Carbotech XP12 pads. Car did fine & I had a great time. Got signed off on level C (highest level under instructor). I was hitting 140 on the back straight. The car could have gone faster but I was afraid to pish it any harder lol. The down hill turn (11) after the bridge is a little scary but fun. My only complaint was that after a few laps I was having shifting issues. Car would not shift 3-4, 4-5 without a lot of effort. Any suggestions on fixing this? I do have the trans cooler scoop installed. I would love to swap to a T56 Magnum but its simply no it my budget. I wouldnt mind keeping the MT-82 if I could get all the bugs worked out. Seems like an impossible task though.

View the V8 K-Member Brace with Engine Torque Limiters<br>Part # CHE7LA at http://www.cheperformance.com

Call Chuck at CHE. I installed the competition model and my 1-2 lockouts are gone. Typically, the road racers get 3-4 lockouts, etc..
He has great success with S 197's. Our problem as indicated in product description is our "remote mounted shifters". Under heavy load, the geometry gets thrown off just enough to cause "lockout". Feels like you are doing everything correct (I have an MGW and experienced 1-2 lockout) and it just will not go into the next gear).

Since I had mine installed, I haven't had any lockouts and the shifter feels completely different.

Chuck is the owner/designer and very knowledgable.

Users who are viewing this thread