My puppy is instagram famous

sav03cobra

Established Member
To bad there is no breed actually called a "Pitbull". "Pitbull" is just a nick name.

Licked your face indeed! I have had about 10 in my lifetime and they were all sweethearts and great companions. If I was ever nipped or accidently bit it was due to ME playing too rough, and my Dog was always aware and knew "oh shit" I just put my jaws on my owner....always stopped right away.

Beautiful "Pitbull". :)

Silver_Coyote

Established Member
To bad there is no breed actually called a "Pitbull". "Pitbull" is just a nick name.

Licked your face indeed! I have had about 10 in my lifetime and they were all sweethearts and great companions. If I was ever nipped or accidently bit it was due to ME playing too rough, and my Dog was always aware and knew "oh shit" I just put my jaws on my owner....always stopped right away.

Yes and No... American "pitbull" terrier is the only true pitbull. But for the most part you're right its just a nickname given to short muscular dogs that are mixed with who knows what and nobody usually knows what they're talking about

YJSONLY

Established Member
Yes and No... American "pitbull" terrier is the only true pitbull. But for the most part you're right its just a nickname given to short muscular dogs that are mixed with who knows what and nobody usually knows what they're talking about

And this is the reason why I refer to my dog as a American pitbull terrier.

Rct851

Established Member
The face you wanna make when dog breed elitist get all technical when body gives a f***... Refer to picture in post #1 lol

Cute pup

Silver_Coyote

Established Member
The face you wanna make when dog breed elitist get all technical when body gives a f***... Refer to picture in post #1 lol

Cute pup

It's about being correct about the breed and not spreading false information. Imagine somebody on here calling his 01 cobra a terminator. Everybody will get all over him and correct him because he's wrong. It's no different. 95% of people couldn't pick out a real pitbull if it was right in front of them.

sav03cobra

Established Member

Maryland’s high court might have revised its ruling on pit bulls to apply only to purebreds, but experts and advocates say such a dog doesn’t exist.

“Unfortunately, they don’t realize that there is no such thing as a purebred pit bull,” said Susan Reaver, president and founder of Pits and Rotts for Life Rescue Inc. in Randallstown.

The Maryland Court of Appeals on Aug. 21 ordered that all references to mixed and cross-bred pit bulls be removed from its controversial April opinion in Tracey v. Solesky.

AdThe original decision declared the breed and mixes of the breed inherently dangerous and held landlords strictly liable for damages should a pit bull or pit bull-mix attack.

But experts say most dogs commonly referred to as a pit bull are either a mix of other breeds or are pure-bred of a breed often misidentified as a pit bull.

“People say you know a pit bull when you see one, but do you really?” asked Lisa Peterson, spokeswoman for the American Kennel Club, which tracks pedigrees of dogs back to 1884.

Rather than a specific breed, pit bull is more of a generic term to describe a group of dogs with similar characteristics — much as are “hound” and “terrier” — and encompasses both mixes and pure-bred dogs, Peterson said.

The term pit bull is sometimes used to identify the American pit bull terrier, a breed recognized by the United Kennel Club but not the American Kennel Club, said Erin Sullivan, education director for Pit Bull Rescue Central and a landlord in Maryland.But it also is often applied to pure-bred dogs, including American Staffordshire terriers, dogo argentino and Staffordshire bull terrier and even boxers, Reaver said. She described times she has been called to rescue a dog believed to be a pit bull that turned out to be something else.

AdvertisementIdentifying dogs as pit bulls is at best imprecise, Sullivan said.

Ad“It’s almost impossible to tell by visual identification what a dog is, so you are just guessing,” she said.

DNA tests can identify markers for certain breeds in mixed-breed dogs. However, Sara Chisnell-Voigt, the UKC’s legal counsel, said she does not know of any court that would accept a DNA test to prove a dog’s breed.

Cory Smith, senior director of Pets for Life of the Humane Society of the United States, said DNA testing will never be 100 percent reliable.

Clubs such as the AKC and UKC can identify a dog by its pedigree. But to be registered, a dog’s sire and bitch also must have been registered with the club, and DNA tests cannot determine if a dog is pure-bred, Peterson said.

Further complicating the situation in Maryland is a lack of definition of a pit bull in the court’s ruling, said Lesa Hoover, attorney and vice president of government affairs for Maryland for the Apartment and Office Building Association of Metropolitan Washington.

“There is not a definition of pit bull, you don’t know what the dog is because there is no such thing as a pit bull,” Hoover said. “So changing that part by taking out the ‘mixes’ didn’t change the ruling all that much.”

With no such thing as a pure-bred pit bull, and no definition in the common law, Peterson said the problem falls to whomever becomes the breed police, to determine what is a pit bull and how to describe it.

Opponents say the solution is to treat dangerous dogs alike, regardless of breed.

sav03cobra

Established Member
It's about being correct about the breed and not spreading false information. Imagine somebody on here calling his 01 cobra a terminator. Everybody will get all over him and correct him because he's wrong. It's no different. 95% of people couldn't pick out a real pitbull if it was right in front of them.

Very True! lol.

Silver_Coyote

Established Member
In response to that article, most of it is true. But to the public there's about 20 different breeds and all sorts of mixes that would be called a "pit" that's just because they are wrong. The only true pitbull is an american pitbull terrier. And it's only a "true pitbull" because it's the only dog breed with "pitbull" in it's name. The full name is american pitbull terrier, and it would be correct to call a pure bread APBT a pitbull because it's just a short way to say it. And just to add to that, an APBT is usually between 35-55lbs they are not big dogs.

The only way to find out if it's truely an APBT (or any other dog) would be by looking at the pedigree, you can not just look at a dog and say it's pure bread, it's absolutely impossible. It can look pure bread, but without a pedigree it's no more than a regular mutt because there's no papers to back it up. "Red nose" and "blue nose" are not pitbull breeds or a specific kind of dog, it's the color of the damn nose lol. But people make it sound like it's a breed or special dog.

I'll stop there, I don't want this to get any worse than it already has. Very cute dog OP! Sorry for causing the debate but there's so much wrong information out there, it's hard not to say something.

MinGrey02Stg2

Established Member
Cute pup, OP. My Boxer has been featured a few times on the "instaboxers" page. It's always fun to log in and see all the nice comments people write. Good luck with him!

ZIMxxZUM

M0NST3RZoftheM1DW4Y
Established Member

isnt it either they are American pitbull terrier or american staffordshire terrier?

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
Not a pit fan at all, but I do recognize a cute puppy. I think they are pretty dogs and 99% of the time they are great, but when they do bite. They bite bad.
I had 168 stitches in my face/head as a child because of one.

Silver_Coyote

Established Member
isnt it either they are American pitbull terrier or american staffordshire terrier?

As far as being a true pitbull? No, american pitbull terrier is the only pitbull because it's the only breed with pitbull in it's name. American staffordshier is its own breed, just like staffordshier terrier, american bully, English bulldog, dogo argentio, bull terrier all of those are considered "pitbulls" to the public along with many other breeds. They are all bully breeds, it's a category of like 20 different breeds, and add all the mixes to that and anything short and stocky is going to be labeled a pitbull

Silver_Coyote

Established Member
Not a pit fan at all, but I do recognize a cute puppy. I think they are pretty dogs and 99% of the time they are great, but when they do bite. They bite bad.
I had 168 stitches in my face/head as a child because of one.

Ouch! That's rough man, but that's probably not a pitbull, again just a mix or a different breed labeled a pit. Because people who own a true APBT are usually responsible owners and pitbulls are not human aggressive at all, dog aggressive, yes.. That's all on the irresponsible owner in your case. There are bad people not bad dogs, but it doesn't help your situation and I completely understand why you feel that way. I'm sorry that happened to you.

SOVACobra03

I have an addiction......
Established Member
20131217_1317041_zps846c38e7.jpg

I just wanted to post a pic of my boxer for everyone......

Users who are viewing this thread