My new ST! Oxford White 2015 content

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Kevin did you change out your shocks/struts?

Mine has 41k miles on it and seem to be more bouncy than when new. Thoughts comments.
I'm not looking to lower, just trying figure out when I should change out stock shocks. How long should the oem's last.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Kevin did you change out your shocks/struts?

Mine has 41k miles on it and seem to be more bouncy than when new. Thoughts comments.
I'm not looking to lower, just trying figure out when I should change out stock shocks. How long should the oem's last.

Not yet. Been busy with a new construction project starting up at work so haven't made the the time to start my big overhaul. Ill be going with the Bilstein B8's but im still on the fence about springs.

Stock struts seem fine at 50k but i normally change them out around 50-60k so i wouldn't know past that. OEM's are good until they start leaking or the valve seals wear out causing pressure loss during rebound or compression.

I ordered the parts needed to replace the strut mounts so all i need to do is order the dampers(front and rear) and the springs.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Here are the part numbers for the parts needed to straight swap in new dampers without disassembling the OEM's.

(2) C1BZ3A197DA
(2) 8V5Z18198B
(2) 8V5Z18A047A
(2) D2BZ18198A
(2) CV1Z5414A

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
if they went bad at 15k then something is wrong. that would be within the warranty period and im sure Ford isnt about replacing a ton of shocks and struts on Fiestas.

I went with the Bilstein B8's from AJusa.com. Looking into getting the Eibachs now. Should be a nice combo for DD, HPDE and Auto-x when the time comes.

Speedboosted

Established Member
Currently looking at a FiST as a new daily, the 3v is a ton of fun but at 16-17 mpg it's getting a bit old. What was your MPG like stock and then after the Stage 1 tune, and what kind of driving?

As for tires, Federal 595 RS-RR looks to be promising for a max summer tire. They make a 205/40/17 and it's like $100/tire. Firestone Firehawk Indy500 is another grippy option that is cheap and good in the rain too.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Mine stock gets about 34mpg avg per tank. With the lighter wheels it's gone up about .3 or so on average.

As for tires, another option is to do what I did...Have the stock tires put on an aftermarket set of wheels, and buy some stock size winter tires (Blizzaks, etc) for the stock wheels. The Rota Titans I got to use with the stock tires are about 5lbs lighter per wheel, didn't break the wallet, and look great to boot!

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Stock i averaged about 36mpg doing it hand calculated. After the stage 1 tune i redid the calculations and it came to around 34mpg. Went stage 2 and the numbers went up to 35mpg. Now, as of this past 2 weeks i am on a Stratified tune and the last 2 tanks have come back up to 36mpg and i have really been beating on it.

For tires, i went back to the stock size but picked up a set of Riken Raptor ZR's for under $200 shipped. When i plan to start tracking the car I will go to a 16x7 for more tire choices.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Just went to LA on I5. 80-85 mph straight trip 410 miles in 12.2 gallons.
In town I get 32-33mpg with very spirited driving.

On my third tire now. It's the cheapest and the best so far. However I do want to try those firestones specially since you can now get them in oem size.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Well, went and tried out a flash tune. I was Cobb stage 2 OTS and heard great things about the Stratified flash tune. Ordered it and installed it with the access port. Drove on it for about a week and switched back to the OTS stage 2 tune. The Stratified tune was very different than Cobb. While Cobb ramps up the boost into the mid to upper RPM, Stratified was full boost as early as possible. While it definitely felt faster from a stop, it was quite annoying to drive. Bucking and jerking were common since there is no throttle lag like the OTS tunes. Also, while taking off from a stop, making a left or right turn, the car would apply what felt like full power which then proceeded to blow the tires off immediately. This caused tire spin which is not fun when just going to the store.

I may go with a logging session and see if they can turn it down a bit but for now im sticking with the Cobb OTS stage 2 map. Not disappointment, just wasnt ready for the ridiculous change in character for the car. It would be fine for a track day but not for a daily that sees traffic.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Picked up a set of Focus EAP wheels for $200. Plan is to get them media blasted, powdercoated white and throw on some REAL aggressive street tires(r-comps?). Should look really good with the RokBlokz mud flaps. Tarmac rally car?

Will update with pics once they get media blasted. White is going to be hard to keep clean but when they are clean the car should look amazing.

Next weekend im tackling brakes(hawk hps pads and fresh rotors) so ill post some pics of that too.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Update pic from today. 51,034 miles.

New tires for stock wheels on Friday. Need to take my Focus EAP wheels to the powder coated then find sticky tires and some TPMS bands.
73ecbd2a1d749dc4b73ef01a96c7a8b2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I had a ghost in my stereo which had already blown 2 fuses and ended finding a decent deal on a new 16.

Shadow Black with Orange Recaro's. Got $4k back of msrp and 0% for 72. Very happy. Thanks to Team Ford of Sacramento!

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
I still think the Recaros are terrible. Sat in a car with 25k miles and they were still stiff as a board on the leg portion causing pressure points. Really wish they made the bottom a little wider. Let me know how you like them after a while. They look great but i dont think i could use them for daily driving.

Another update, wheels dropped off at the powdercoater. Going with white to match the car. Also ordered an LED headlight conversion kit along with the Lamin-X fog light wrap in yellow. They have some great Memorial day deals going on this weekend so i jumped on the opportunity.

Still need to do brakes. I have the rotors, pads and fluid sitting on my shelf in my garage but havent had the time to do it. Hoping for this weekend. Will post pictures of the install.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
New brakes installed. Centric rotors, Hawk HPS 5.0 and HPS front and rear respectively along with RBF600 fluid. Flushing the brakes was a pain and had to flush with a buddy that had up to date software on the IDS.

Going to bed them in and see how they compare to the stock pads which have surprised the hell out of me.

Photos comparing new pads thickness to my OEM 51k mile pad. It's insane how much abuse these stock pads can take.
1377e0b2bd935cccd87897b8aaca0846.jpg

5c6fbd3583c6f63f73a339d9eb218cfa.jpg

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I like the recaros however they are not perfect. I wish head rest adjusted. Because it does not my upper back/shoulders(thoracic curve) are not supported against the seat.

Love the car and how seats keep me in one spot on corners. Can't wait to go full tilt. Still breaking her in.

My pads down to metal at 31k miles. You must be taking it easy. I will admit I did a lot of back roads driving up one hill down the other which would explain my brakes.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
More updates! LED headlights, yellow fog bulbs and white Fiesta Rally wheels! Lights installed. Wheels need tires and TPMS before being installed.

Pics to come tonight of the lights. Wheels attached.
ea956f65f4302d661c55f9d1095dbd53.jpg

Kevins89notch

Established Member
24.6k was the msrp. I paid 20.6k + 2k for ttl for 22.6 otd + 0% for 72 months.

Nice. I'm probably going to look at a leftover 16 on monday.
26,515 msrp, $4,219 "dealer discount" so $22,296. It's fully loaded, platinum white with recaros. Same dealership also has a black one (thus $500 cheaper msrp) and it's $20,478. I'm planning on telling them to price the white one the same and I'll take it. I also read online to make them include the all weather floor mats and hatch mat. We will see.

Users who are viewing this thread