My New Shifter Combo... Don't Think Its Been Done Before

Vinchenzo51

Established Member
So i wanted something specific with my shifter look that took me a while to get right. I have a Steeda Tri-ax shifter base... nothing unusual. Then i went and got a hurst shifter handle from the new GT500KR. Now the grooves where on the wrong side and the bolts didnt work so i machined new ridges on the correct side of the handle so it didnt move back and forth when shifting hard. Now the factory knob wouldn't cut it so i grabbed a white 6sp hurst shift knob as well. The GT500KR shifter handle is very very short compared to our terminator shifters, so i needed to use the upper holes on my tri-ax and sometime I change cd's when im shifting really hard. but the result is awesome.

ill post some pics tomorrow to show you how it came out, i haven't seen this done yet so im hoping im being original here

EDIT, HERES THOSE PICS

Neutral
DSC00190.jpg

First
DSC00191.jpg

Second
DSC00193.jpg

Third (Where i usually change to CD #3 so i make sure i keep a good CD in there because i usually switch to it when shifting hard)
DSC00195.jpg

See
DSC00197.jpg

Looks nice and stubby from outside, i didnt like how the factory shifter looked to big
DSC00202.jpg

Again
DSC00189.jpg

I saw someone online had that little 2" plate that moved the shifter back a little, i think with that this shifter would be perfect! If someone remembers who was selling those things let me know!

Last edited:

20psirabbit

Established Member
that's cool, it's always good to see someone doing something custom for what they want.
as for me, i'd like to find something taller, i hate having to reach for that shifter, and it makes it that much more cumbersome when you're turning corners and the shifter is too far away.

donjonald

I live by the W's
Established Member
Frankenstein,Hur-ax? Haha you have to name it.
Sounds sick, would love to see some pics.

Vinchenzo51

Established Member
i took some pics with my phone and they came out like garbage, im going to take some tomorrow with my actual camera when i get it from work. check in tomorrow night they should be up

i need ideas on how to modify the shifter boot, since its such a stubby handle the boot is jumbled up more then id like

if your thinking about using an 05+ shifter handle for your car, keep in mind, i'm 6'2", my arms are long, my buddy is 5'10" and has to move the seat pretty far up to get a good grip on it, he said it didnt bother him much though

Vinchenzo51

Established Member
posted some pics up top

i need help with the shifter boot, to me it looks too jumbled up, i want it to look clean like the GT500's

also, i want one of those little metal plates that move your shifter back about an inch or two that someone was selling a while back, let me know if anyone can remember who was selling those or where to get one. I'm sure i can make one but the one he was making looked perfect and i might as well support the creator.

Users who are viewing this thread