my new gt500 convertible

huggytree

Established Member
so if i use LC at 2,500rpm and go ALL OUT 0-100.....floor it all the way in all 3 gears....will the back end slide out or does it just squeal a bit, but keep going forward in a straight line??

any chance the back end slides sideways?

(kinda funny to own a car that you cant drive and ask questions about 'what its like to actually drive it?')

ill be going crazy if this snowy weather keeps up and winter goes into late March....

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Depends on alot of things. Smooth shifts, smooth surface, rutted road, how much weight in car. Can't really say.

When I was at the track- a couple time it got squirly into 2nd- looked at the wall. BUT- the track prep was horrible.

Only once did I scare myself on the street- thank you tire shine...

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
question!!!
i keep getting warned about the car being squirlly under full acceleration

i know the 2012's are very difficult to control

but i thought the 2013's TC took care of most of that???

will i be able to go all out in a straight line, shift to 2nd and 3rd without any chance of a spin out????

my Challenger is 100% control....i can take a turn and floor it 1/2 way through the turn....it jumps a bit, but the TC holds that car perfectly...its almost impossible to loose control.......

does the Shelby TC work as well???? from the video's ive seen i think the answer is NO

can i take the family from 0-100mph for fun or will i kill my family?/?

so if i use LC at 2,500rpm and go ALL OUT 0-100.....floor it all the way in all 3 gears....will the back end slide out or does it just squeal a bit, but keep going forward in a straight line??

any chance the back end slides sideways?

(kinda funny to own a car that you cant drive and ask questions about 'what its like to actually drive it?')

ill be going crazy if this snowy weather keeps up and winter goes into late March....

I feel the TC does a great job of HELPING you. It will let you get sideways a bit and you can get "squirly" but it will still intervene to help you smoothe it out. However, if you are determined to put it into a ditch it's not going to stop you.

I really like how it gives you some wiggle room (pun intended) to do some fun driving without throwing a huge anchor out the window like the old '03 Cobras did. In many cases the TC will be helping you without you even realizing it.

I did a couple LC runs in 45 degree weather on stock tires and back roads. The car will squirm back and forth but will keep most of the ponies reeled in until it gets traction. It works really well and I didn't feel unsafe at all, however if you're wanting to impress passengers it's not going to do the trick for you. It makes the car hit more softly because it's struggling for grip.

I would not punch this car while going around a corner in cold weather. It will not react like you say your Dodge does.

If you're wanting to play a bit in 45-50 degree weather, I would heat the tires by driving on them for a bit and spinning them a couple times at slower speeds, then keep it in 2nd and roll up to 60mph and then punch it. You will still sometimes get a little bit of a "soft hit" and spin a tad (depending on how well you heated the tires before hand) but I've had the car launch great from there without drama more times than it's spun. The TC is still helping you there but you get a better sense of what the car is capable of. If you don't believe the TC is helping turn everything off and see how long your black lines are from a rolling punch. The only time I've actually seen a good amount of tire smoke from the car was when I turned everything off and hit it at 40mph.

Also, depending on your build date you may not have the option of a 2500rpm LC assisted run. Later models had their window shortened to start at 3k.

Summary: You can have plenty of fun with the car in 40+ degree weather safely, but you don't need to ask it to do as much as you will be able to in hotter weather. Just be smart with it (wide road, level, no traffic) and give yourself some seat time to experiment with how the car handles. There is a significant difference in how the car grips after a couple punches. Wait until your rev limiter shows you are warmed up (full 7k redline instead of the lower 6200) and get the tires heated up before getting too crazy and you should be fine. That being said, I want to repeat you CAN still wrap yourself around a pole if you try hard enough. :coolman:

P.S. Your car looks outstanding all cleaned up! Man that's a nice color combo! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Just clipped a quick little snippet from some testing I was doing this weekend. I was testing my new GoPro and wasn't intneding on showing it to anyone so it's a very poor video. I still have to figure out how to fix the audio noise and best resolution settings but I thought this was a good example of what I was talking about. The first hit is around 40mph or so in 2nd gear. You will see it get a little squirly but it certainly isn't uncontrollable, I then slow back down to around 40mph and hit it again. You'll see how the car doesn't spin the 2nd time around. That's the difference in getting the tires more heated up.

GoPro test on Vimeo

This was a much warmer day, I think it was in the mid 50's, so take that into consideration when assessing how you expect your car to react in the 40's.

huggytree

Established Member
the video is what i would have expected....it wiggles and then recovers

I considered an older Viper at one point, but its lack of TC killed the deal for me......i wouldnt buy a extreme-fast car without TC

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
the video is what i would have expected....it wiggles and then recovers

I considered an older Viper at one point, but its lack of TC killed the deal for me......i wouldnt buy a extreme-fast car without TC

Yeah, that was in mode 1 (full TC/all nannies but no LC). That's why I say the car is manageable. I've done the same punch on a bumpy and uneven road and the car kicked out a lot more but once again it is controllable.

Users who are viewing this thread