My new DD

bit

Happiness is being blown!
Established Member
The time came for me to replace my 225K mile '02 Mazda Protege5.

After months of searching I bought a brand new 2012 Mazdaspeed3. She had 73 miles on her when I drove her off the lot. Believe it or not buying this car was cheaper then a low mile(~20k) used Mazdaspeed3.

CIMG3250_zpsa0ca87f1.jpg

CIMG3251_zpsd2612137.jpg

CIMG3259_zps5f2b0157.jpg

CIMG3268_zps616a5183.jpg

My home for the next 200k miles.
CIMG3270_zps29139a27.jpg

I have already put 1000 miles on the car in 6 days. She is a lot of fun to drive.
CIMG3300_zps5b77a78b.jpg

CIMG3303_zpscf6d3920.jpg

I have never had a car with HIDs before. I highly recommend it.
CIMG3301_zps6688d544.jpg

CIMG3306_zpsa28c7e79.jpg

263hp 285ft-lbs She pulls great in 6th gear on the interstate.
CIMG3312_zps98848b6a.jpg

There's a turbo in there somewhere.
CIMG3292_zps0a2d4ce7.jpg

CIMG3304_zps96791714.jpg

CIMG3298_zpsb5c6627c.jpg

So far its great car. The only problem is staying out of the boost. :rockon:

Kiohtee

Established Member
Awesome pick up! I've always liked MS3s! But please take your window sticker off. That's the equivalent to purposely leaving tags on your clothes. :nonono:

bit

Established Member
Awesome pick up! I've always liked MS3s! But please take your window sticker off. That's the equivalent to purposely leaving tags on your clothes. :nonono:
Thanks... It's already off. I want to take some pictures of the car first.

Those are fun cars to drive, did you look at a focus ST?
I test drove a few STs. It is a very nice car. In the end I like the Mazda better. The Focus lacks the character the Mazda has.

bit

Established Member
Damn, that mileage is terrible though..
Yeah, it not the best, but thankfully they get better that what's on the window sticker. So far this car is averaging ~26 with mixed driving. If could keep my foot out of the boost it would be better.

Z28

Established Member
Nice car and I'm sure you got the car for a good price being a new '12

Damn, that mileage is terrible though..

I was thinking the same thing! Seems very low for a turbo 4, thats similar mileage to our G8 GT.

OP, are guys getting better MPG than the factory rating?

bit

Established Member
OP, are guys getting better MPG than the factory rating?
The used cars I looked at showed between 27 and 30 on the dash. Something about the EPA drive cycle must have put the car in a lot of boost during the testing. I really don't understand the low rating. I can't complain though most new cars don't even get as good as the EPA rating.

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
Halogen projectors, not HID projectors. Definitely better than halogens in a reflector housing, but not close to HID projectors. Nice car though

Z28

Established Member
The used cars I looked at showed between 27 and 30 on the dash. Something about the EPA drive cycle must have put the car in a lot of boost during the testing. I really don't understand the low rating. I can't complain though most new cars don't even get as good as the EPA rating.

I'm curious to how they do the test as well. My Jetta TDI M6 is rated at 42 mpg hwy and the car will do 50+ easily at 65-70 mph. My lowest average tank was in the 44 mpg range with heavy mixed driving. So I'm not sure what they put the cars through to get the rated numbers.

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
I've worked for Mazda since 07 when these cars hit the market. they are a ton of fun, but they do have some weaknesses. namely their class engine. be careful with mods, 300whp is about the most you can go on stock rods.

id sugguest, upgraded mount, springs, rear sway and a stage 2 cobb tune. makes them pretty fun and stays in the safe zone for power.

but in the end id disagree with you. the ST is purpose built to be what it is. the MS3 is a regular MSR with DI and a turbo bolted to it. imho driving the two is telling. and I've driven many MS3s, the ST is just "better" for lack of a better word.

blackedout06

Established Member
I believe you about them being cheaper new than used in some cases...I used to sell new/used Mazda's but we were not a "Mazda Speed" dealer so we never got new Speed3's in stock, but we sold used ones for the same price if not more sometimes. Really fun car to drive though...Enjoy it!

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Those are cool little cars, but not sure if I could get past the smiley face. Also - mileage? If I'm going to pay for a new 4 banger it better get me well into the 30's mpg these days.

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
the way the MS3 is geared, good MPGs are not really that possible. you stay out of boost and it should get 19-20 around town, and 26-27 highway.

for reference my tuned 5.slow gets 18.8 mixed and 27 highway with 3.73s.

bit

Established Member
but in the end id disagree with you. the ST is purpose built to be what it is. the MS3 is a regular MSR with DI and a turbo bolted to it. imho driving the two is telling. and I've driven many MS3s, the ST is just "better" for lack of a better word.
I didn't say the Mazda was the better car overall. I said I liked it better. It's hard to quantify. The Mazda has character that the Focus lacks. It maybe due to the torque vectoring and power curve of the Focus. It didn't feel like it wanted to play the way the Mazda does.

bit

Established Member
I'm curious to how they do the test as well. My Jetta TDI M6 is rated at 42 mpg hwy and the car will do 50+ easily at 65-70 mph. My lowest average tank was in the 44 mpg range with heavy mixed driving. So I'm not sure what they put the cars through to get the rated numbers.
It maybe that turbo cars are at a disadvantage in the current EPA test. Staying out of the boost makes all the difference. I expect to beat the EPA estimate by at least 7 mpg with this car. That is just under 40%.

That being said the new EcoBoost cars are having trouble meeting the EPA figures. My dad bought a EcoBoost F150 new in 2012 and only gets around 18 on the highway. The truck is rated at 23. The truck was even recalled for low mileage. The Ford dealer replaced the intercooler and retuned it. Before that he was getting about 16.

Users who are viewing this thread