My Minor, But Annoying Problems Thread

TDMCobra

Ringside.
Established Member
Preface-
I have many small problems that never cease to piss me off. Unfortunartly, I might be selling the Cobra this summer and need to get these fixed. Please Help!

1. Bumper/Tail Light Paint-
My front bumper and taillights are fading badly. The whole thing needs to be repainted. I have been quoted about 350-500 for the front bumper and 70 a taillight. Should I just DIY and learn? I really want to but would need to find a place for matching factory paint and have some good cheap spray guns recommended along with a good source of that factory color of paint. Im willing to try anything but I am wondering, if its worth the time or if this is better left to a shop. I don’t mind putting in long hours of prep work but Im wondering if this is something work taking to a pro to make sure I don’t **** it up.

2.My Headlights-
They are uneven with the corner lights. This REALLY pisses me off. They are the same brand but were bought at different times. Any advice?

3.RPM Gauge –
Another item whose job decided to be “Piss Off Joe.” It flirts with working and not working. Sometimes at idle it will show 200 rpms while clearly closer to 900 and doesn’t kick in sometimes at all etc. Anything I really can do?

Thats all for now. Thanks guys.

Last edited:

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
I can't believe you were quoted that much on the bumper paint. I got a $275 quote from a local body shop and I'm going to look around for something cheaper.

TDMCobra

Ringside.
Established Member
busta said:
I can't believe you were quoted that much on the bumper paint. I got a $275 quote from a local body shop and I'm going to look around for something cheaper.

Tell me about it. That was the same number from 2 different places!!

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
I also am wondering aout the tach. Mine either idles as 800, 1400, or at 100rpm. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesnt. Im thinking its the speedo gear.

TDMCobra

Ringside.
Established Member
Midnight_Cobra said:
I also am wondering aout the tach. Mine either idles as 800, 1400, or at 100rpm. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesnt. Im thinking its the speedo gear.

Well I dont think so. I find sometimes Ill tap the plastic in front of the gauges and itll return to normal sometimes. Doesnt seem like the gear but your problem could be different.

94-Cobra

Established Member
My front bumper has not faded but I do have many scars from bugs. I have the same problem with my rear tail lights with the fading. $70 per tail light does not sound too bad to me, but then wouldn't they sitck out as looking too good against 13 year old paint? Overall, my paint is in good shape (considering the year) except for the tail lights.

LILBLKSNAKE

Village Idiot
Established Member
TDMCobra said:
Preface-
I have many small problems that never cease to piss me off. Unfortunartly, I might be selling the Cobra this summer and need to get these fixed. Please Help!

1. Bumper/Tail Light Paint-
My front bumper and taillights are fading badly. The whole thing needs to be repainted. I have been quoted about 350-500 for the front bumper and 70 a taillight. Should I just DIY and learn? I really want to but would need to find a place for matching factory paint and have some good cheap spray guns recommended along with a good source of that factory color of paint. Im willing to try anything but I am wondering, if its worth the time or if this is better left to a shop. I don’t mind putting in long hours of prep work but Im wondering if this is something work taking to a pro to make sure I don’t **** it up.

Find a Vocational school near you, they will do it for free if you let them use your car for the whole day. You can also ask to be present during the work to insure no one joyrides the car.

2.My Headlights-
They are uneven with the corner lights. This REALLY pisses me off. They are the same brand but were bought at different times. Any advice?

buy a good quality set of tinted lights

3.RPM Gauge –
Another item whose job decided to be “Piss Off Joe.” It flirts with working and not working. Sometimes at idle it will show 200 rpms while clearly closer to 900 and doesn’t kick in sometimes at all etc. Anything I really can do?

try to follow all the wires and see if one might be loose, pinched, or maybe a bad ground???

Thats all for now. Thanks guys.

DON'T SELL THE CAR!!!

Blaster77

Established Member
if you have a buffer, i would try to use this stuff right here.
http://www.autogeek.net/meg7showcarg.html

I just buffed a light gray tailgate of an 89 blazer to a dark black (the color it's supposed to be) today with this stuff.

Don't cut it too hard though, you'll burn the paint right off.

Edit: Ask Jzepp, I used that stuff on his car as well....he seemed impressed with the gloss in his paint again!

TDMCobra

Ringside.
Established Member
busta said:
I think a 5.0 Cobra is pretty fckin cool :(

It is but an LS1 RX-7 is also very, very cool. And stock, would run high 11s. With the Cobra, my MPG = my quarter time. With that, closer to 25mpg.

Blaster77 said:
if you have a buffer, i would try to use this stuff right here.
http://www.autogeek.net/meg7showcarg.html

I just buffed a light gray tailgate of an 89 blazer to a dark black (the color it's supposed to be) today with this stuff.

Don't cut it too hard though, you'll burn the paint right off.

Edit: Ask Jzepp, I used that stuff on his car as well....he seemed impressed with the gloss in his paint again!

My bumper needs paint. The clearcoat is so far gone I can see what I believe is the primer.

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
TDMCobra said:
It is but an LS1 RX-7 is also very, very cool. And stock, would run high 11s. With the Cobra, my MPG = my quarter time. With that, closer to 25mpg.

Sorry man, but I disagree. Yes, RX-7's are very, very cool. But IMO V8 swaps are an abomination. And because it's a swap, I'm assuming it's and FB (1st gen, and I'm not a fan of the way they looked those years). I'd take any model year Cobra over one of those any day. But again, that's just me. Do whatever makes you the happiest and enjoy.

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
BTW, about the taillight bezels. I had the same problem. I just went to Pep Boys, and bought some Ford white spray paint (couldn't find Crystal White, so I just bought either Oxford White or Ford Factory White- can't remember exactly) and clear coat. I went home, pulled off the bezels, sanded them down, gave them a few coats of white and then a few of clear and put them back on. It looked 100x better than before.

TDMCobra

Ringside.
Established Member
Gringo185 said:
Sorry man, but I disagree. Yes, RX-7's are very, very cool. But IMO V8 swaps are an abomination. And because it's a swap, I'm assuming it's and FB (1st gen, and I'm not a fan of the way they looked those years). I'd take any model year Cobra over one of those any day. But again, that's just me. Do whatever makes you the happiest and enjoy.

Heh, not the FB. FD. V8 swaps arent that bad. I wanted to build something from the ground up. My cobra has a lot done already. Wanted to start from scratch with a car.

3C8rosendodimas1.jpg

5-24.jpg

5-26.jpg

http://hinsonsupercars.com/HSC_DynoPullSmall.wmv

Gringo185 said:
BTW, about the taillight bezels. I had the same problem. I just went to Pep Boys, and bought some Ford white spray paint (couldn't find Crystal White, so I just bought either Oxford White or Ford Factory White- can't remember exactly) and clear coat. I went home, pulled off the bezels, sanded them down, gave them a few coats of white and then a few of clear and put them back on. It looked 100x better than before.

Last edited:

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
LS1 FD RX7s rule. I seriously thought about building one before I got my '94. I found plenty of FD RX7s with blown motors for $7,500 or less. LS1/T56s out of F-bodies can be found for $2500 or less, too. Another couple grand for swap parts and other stuff. It's tempting.

dlt85

Established Member
SublimeRT said:
LS1 FD RX7s rule. I seriously thought about building one before I got my '94. I found plenty of FD RX7s with blown motors for $7,500 or less. LS1/T56s out of F-bodies can be found for $2500 or less, too. Another couple grand for swap parts and other stuff. It's tempting.

contributing to off topic lol but...I'm thinking about doing a S13 240sx with s15 front clip conversion plus the LS1/T56 swap. I hear it's about the same labor as the rx7 swap, but the shell's are obviously cheaper. That car would BLOW MINDS :eek: around here. Clean JDM look with V8 sound...CRAZY HAHA :p

TDMCobra

Ringside.
Established Member
dlt85 said:
contributing to off topic lol but...I'm thinking about doing a S13 240sx with s15 front clip conversion plus the LS1/T56 swap. I hear it's about the same labor as the rx7 swap, but the shell's are obviously cheaper. That car would BLOW MINDS :eek: around here. Clean JDM look with V8 sound...CRAZY HAHA :p

Def have to go with the S14 if you go that route. What determines which car I do is what kind of rollers I can find at the beggining of summer. Out of curiosity, what do yall find is the best place for RX-7 Shells. Craigslist seems kinda dry...

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
IMO, S13 > S14. And if you're going to do a front clip swap on the S13, swap it for the JDM Sylvia front end. And call me a purist, but if you're going to do an engine swap, go with an SR20.

Users who are viewing this thread