my mach is dying!

tex00gt

Established Member
every once in a while when coming to stops my mach has died on me, and i start it right back up, its only done that a couple of times. and this morning it wouldnt even start, the only mods I have done to it is slp lm1 catback , and k&n fipkII intake, i was wondering if any of yall have had this problem or know what needs to be done to prevent this from happening? Ive been wondering also on the intake the instructions say to remove the screen from the mass air, but i thought you were not suppose to remove it, but ive been wondering bout that cause thats the only thing i can think of causeing it, dont think i need a tune just of cb and intake! :??:

grimreefer

Anthrax Resistant
Established Member
My old Mach began stalling after I installed the K&N CAI. Wasn't worth it on a near stock car so I took it out and went back to the K&N drop in and it never stalled again. Some people have reinstalled the screen to reduce the turbulence and said it helped, others have used a tune to eliminate the stalling. Good luck.

runs2rch

7 minutes!!!!
Established Member
Just put the screen in it should be fine then. It was the 1st mod I did on my car and definitely felt the difference.

CATMACH

Crazy
Established Member
A firey moat with flame proof aligators, IN
Some people have had stalling issues with the screen removed while my screen has always been out and I'm fine. I have also heard that clocking you MAF different from factory may be the problem, dont know if thats true but maybe something to look at.

Jester

-------------
Established Member
Mine does it from time to time, mostly when there is a day to day temperature change. I have the K&N FIPK also w/o the screen. I'm going to clean the MAF meter's wire to see if that helps. Some say the oil from a K&N filter can make the wire on the MAF dirty after a while...

runs2rch

7 minutes!!!!
Established Member
Jester said:
Mine does it from time to time, mostly when there is a day to day temperature change. I have the K&N FIPK also w/o the screen. I'm going to clean the MAF meter's wire to see if that helps. Some say the oil from a K&N filter can make the wire on the MAF dirty after a while...

Yeh Ive heard that too. Ive never had the screen in with mine and it's always been fine. A little brake clean should do the trick.

todd4566

Man Of Steel
Established Member
runs2rch said:
Yeh Ive heard that too. Ive never had the screen in with mine and it's always been fine. A little brake clean should do the trick.

Brake cleaner may be too harsh for the MAF. Use electric parts cleaner if you decide to do some cleaning there - it leaves no residue.

As for your stalling, if this just started after months of using the K&N you may want to investigate your IAC valve. They have a tendency to get clogged/dirty every 25k or so. My IAC was sticking at 27k, which caused the car to die after startup - only way I could keep the car alive was to keep the throttle open.

runs2rch

7 minutes!!!!
Established Member
todd4566 said:
Brake cleaner may be too harsh for the MAF. Use electric parts cleaner if you decide to do some cleaning there - it leaves no residue.

As for your stalling, if this just started after months of using the K&N you may want to investigate your IAC valve. They have a tendency to get clogged/dirty every 25k or so. My IAC was sticking at 27k, which caused the car to die after startup - only way I could keep the car alive was to keep the throttle open.

Look at the contents it's the same stuff.

grey03mach1

Speed Junkie
Established Member
It's the screen. I'll be willing to bet. Mine did the same thing until I reinstalled the screen. For future mods, if I were you, I'd consider a Predator or another handheld tuner. After I installed a performance tune a seat of the pants difference was noticed. The tune smoothes everything out and a noticable difference in power will be noticed. Damn I didn't mean to use *noticed* so many times. lol

Last edited:

riche

Established Member
stalling machs

the true problem is that that netural safty switch in the clutch pedal has a intermitten problem when you push the clutch in or decelarte the motor stalls because it reads that that clutch is engaged i should know because i work at ford as a inspection engineneer and my job is find out why all the little things happen like this. the screen in the mass air has nothing to due with what you are saying if anything its hurts your car because it sends a lean mixture to your computer and can cause a lost of horse its been dynoed at the plant and proved to be true its all measureable hp not noticable. buy the way no one with a auto mach1 has ever reported a problem unlike the five speeds. when we release a cure for the problem i will be sure to post it the web site.

84 stang 351 all motor 5-speed 10.98 at 125 all motor.
04 mach1 all stock, slicks an 5-speed 12.98 at 107.
p.s the mach was tuned at work with special ford tuneing tools not avaible to the public dyno power tested 352hp 381tq at rear wheels believe me the machs are just as nasty ase a corba with a good tune

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
riche said:
the true problem is that that netural safty switch in the clutch pedal has a intermitten problem when you push the clutch in or decelarte the motor stalls because it reads that that clutch is engaged

thats exactly when mine does it. i used to have the JLT RAI installed and it would cut off when i engage the clutch from a high rpm. I put the stock snout back on, but kept the JLT MAF adapter plate and filter so that I could have the MAF in the stock location. It hasn't cut off since; however, the rpm does drop to 400-500 every now and then

grey03mach1

Speed Junkie
Established Member
riche said:
the true problem is that that netural safty switch in the clutch pedal has a intermitten problem when you push the clutch in or decelarte the motor stalls because it reads that that clutch is engaged i should know because i work at ford as a inspection engineneer and my job is find out why all the little things happen like this. the screen in the mass air has nothing to due with what you are saying if anything its hurts your car because it sends a lean mixture to your computer and can cause a lost of horse its been dynoed at the plant and proved to be true its all measureable hp not noticable. buy the way no one with a auto mach1 has ever reported a problem unlike the five speeds. when we release a cure for the problem i will be sure to post it the web site.

p.s the mach was tuned at work with special ford tuneing tools not avaible to the public dyno power tested 352hp 381tq at rear wheels believe me the machs are just as nasty ase a corba with a good tune
That may be his problem but it wasn't mine. I added the screen and my car stopped dying. Although your theory sounds realistic, that wasn't my problem.

366stroker

Established Member
riche said:

richie dude i totaly agree with you on what you said i also have had the same problem intermitten stall with clutch in and your right the screen does not make power i read in mmff artcile that they did the same thing and said put the screen back in just m y .02 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread