My Light bolt-on 08 Z06 vs 2000-06 Honda Insight ( No kidding )

F8l Vnm

Established Member
The other day merging onto the 101 HWY North , I notice this Silver 1st Generation Silver Insight coming up fast in my rear view mirror.
Looked stock , and I do remember a " Q hybrid " license plate .
I dont think much of it, punch it in 2nd and next thing I know Iam in a real battle with this insight doing about 140 . He did have a pretty nice momentum rolling start advantage on me but trust me it was not stock. :dw: I heard that thing squeel but not alot of exhaust noise rather a "Whooshing air" sound.
I was heading to work , and he was getting ready to exit the next exit and all I could do is slow down to see if he rolls his window down. Sure enough he does and with a huuuuge grin on his face , he gives me a look like " Yeah , been there done that " , I coudlnt help but smile all the way to work.
Told all my freinds and they would not beleive me. Iam a car guy and so it was a awesome feeling being neck and neck with a damn INSIGHT! :cuss::-D

Fast forward to this weekend , as Iam heading down the 101 S this time, sure enough I see him Again! Light traffic on the HWY and hes kinda weaving in and out of the lanes doing about 85 mph. So like a cheetah I stalk him for about 3 miles ( exits ) and right before Topanga Cyn I get my chance ... Pull up next to him , bring my window down and we start talking for a breif moment. I tell him " Wow , that things fast , you remember me?" and hes like " ohh yeah and I do remember you" .. Just briefly looking at the car , it didnt look like he had much of a interior ( maybe gutted ) and when I asked what he had , he told me it was a built 4 banger with boost, I didnt get more info because at that point I was like a virgin with a hooker , I wanted to tango , BAD! and I was not going to let my balls get any more blue , I wanted the bastard and wanted a rematch! . :burnout:
I dropped into second gear around 50 mph and we both hit it this time evenly ,I pull about a couple of cars on him and we raced till about 140 again , this time I was infront by about 3 cars , but again non the less very IMPRESSIVE!
I really only pulled on him till around 125 , we were clooooose all the way .
His car was pretty damn fast , and as a car guy I was impressed. :thumbsup:
Anyway I let him catch up , we sent mutual thumbs up and went on our way.
All in all it was a good day at the "Roll Racing" office :-D:p

BayareaSS

Established Member
Thats crazy! Good story. There is a k20 turbo insight in the bay area. He was just out racing the other night. I'll post a vid

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwEmkm7QqII"]YouTube - C5 Corvette vs Insight[/nomedia]

JoeyR

omgwtfhax
Established Member
To be honest, if i was cruising down the freeway and got dropped by an Insight id probably push my car off a cliff with me tied to the bumper. Life would not be worth living anymore.

MACHXLR8

Third Member
Established Member
Fast car to hang with a bolt-on Z.... but that Insight looks like an old dog with a dried up ass took a sh&t and that came out...

I still think you have to look good and go fast. Just my opinion though

mrlrd1

Established Member
Not only did you beat the Insight, but you probably get better gas milage than him too? :lol1:

TheHitman™

Established Member
Not only did you beat the Insight, but you probably get better gas milage than him too? :lol1:

If the Honda is on the hybrid motor, I doubt it. Hearing this story I looked up the turbo kits and saw that the gas mileage they claimed with the kit on the original insight motor is over 30mpg averaging out to about 25-30mpg combined city and highway.

Shokker88

Established Member
I lost to an insight, and he didn't know we where racing.

I came up to a red light in my 2000 Lightning. My lane ended in a couple hundred feet. It was raining and my tires where almost completely bald. When the light turned green, I tried to take of fast enough to get over in front of him. Every time I gave it some gas, she spun. There was nothing I could do but get in the lane behind him. The worst part about the whole story is he didn't know we where racing and I had a friend in the truck with me that knew what I was trying to do.

mrlrd1

Established Member
kageryu311 said:
If the Honda is on the hybrid motor, I doubt it. Hearing this story I looked up the turbo kits and saw that the gas mileage they claimed with the kit on the original insight motor is over 30mpg averaging out to about 25-30mpg combined city and highway.

What? You obviously missed this from the first post:

Silver 1st Generation Silver Insight

he told me it was a built 4 banger with boost

It wasn't the stock 3 cylinder first of all. Secondly, any 3 or 4 cylinder capable of running with a modded C6Z06 is going to get shit for gas milage - almost certainly worse than the Z06. You're giving way to much credit to Honda, and not nearly enough to the Z. Finally, the original Insight engine made a whopping 67hp. I can't even imagine the turbo setup it would need to run with a Z06 :rolleyes:

Last edited:

2K1 SVT

Established Member
What? You obviously missed this from the first post:

It wasn't the stock 3 cylinder first of all. Secondly, any 3 or 4 cylinder capable of running with a modded C6Z06 is going to get shit for gas milage - almost certainly worse than the Z06. You're giving way to much credit to Honda, and not nearly enough to the Z. Finally, the original Insight engine made a whopping 67hp. I can't even imagine the turbo setup it would need to run with a Z06 :rolleyes:

Exactly, it's obvious that he swapped the original hybrid engine out for something bigger.
You don't build a car like the one the op raced with fuel mileage in mind :bash:

Users who are viewing this thread