My KB '12 GT/CS Build Thread

Doug1227

Established Member
I figured I'd get this up to date since I'll have some major changes happening soon... here's the history:

Bought the car used with 8,000 miles in January 2012.
When I first bought it:
DSCN0672.jpg

New Wheels:
DSCN0687.jpg

Lowered:
DSCN0728.jpg

DSCN0725.jpg

DSCN0706.jpg

New Stickies!
DSCN0726.jpg

California Special Interior:
DSCN0676.jpg

Doug1227

Established Member
I got a new camera, so I was playing around with it. These are pretty much the same "poses" as above, but with the new camera. The only change to the car is I removed the running pony from the CS front grill.

NikonTest045.jpg

NikonTest046.jpg

NikonTest029.jpg

NikonTest024.jpg

NikonTest025.jpg

Doug1227

Established Member
3/6/13
Got a wild hair this week and ordered a buncha goodies for the Mustang. Coming this/next week:

GT500 Strut Mounts
Koni Yellow Adjustable Struts and Shocks
Stallion Adjustable Panhard Bar
Brembo Takeoff Calipers/Rotors/Pads from a '13
Infinity 5x7's for the doors
Ignition Flip Key off of Ebay

I got the panhard put on tonight and will probably do the shocks/struts/brakes next weekend.

Doug1227

Established Member
3/10/13
Got the Koni's and strut mounts in the mail Friday. Saturday the Infinity's came in. I got them installed today. What a difference! I can't believe how light and crappy the stock 5x7's are. I recommend this to ANYONE with ears! Probably won't do the struts until maybe next weekend.

Doug1227

Established Member
3/12/13
I bought Infinity's off of Amazon. They're 6832cf's. I got them plus the wiring adapters that allow you to plug into the factory connector for around $75 TOTAL. I thought that was a pretty good deal and they sound great!

3/15/13
Installed the Koni's and GT500 mounts last night. What's everyone setting these at for DD duty? I went full firm, then back one full rotation and it was still a go-kart ride to work this morning! LOL! I'm gonna try full loose on the way home and see what that feels like in contrast. I'm sure the answer will be somewhere in the middle. Ironically, "somewhere in the middle" is where I thought I set them last night! :O

3/15/13
I set them to FULL soft at lunch today and the car still feels stiffer than stock! LOL! I'm thinking 1/2 a turn from SOFT may be the ticket...I'll keep messing with them.

3/18/13
Got the Brembos in today. Need to figure out what I'm gonna do to them cosmetically because NOW's the time to do it!

3/23/13
Ordered a couple more items today. Redline hood struts and some Trufiber carbon fiber coil covers. I was considering having some hydro dipped, but figured I'd just go ahead and get the real deal. These should look sweet with the KB 2.8LC that I'm planning on installing down the road.

3/24/13
So here's an update on the Brembos. I know this won't be for everyone, but I didn't want the traditional black, red, yellow or blue, and I was looking for something that would go decent with my black car and silver wheels. I'm waiting on the black brembo decals which will be here during the week, then I have to put several coats of clear on them. This will allow me a little time to decide that I like them. I tried to place them next to the car to get an idea of how they'd look together. Let me know your opinions.

DSC_0461.jpg

DSC_0462.jpg

DSC_0457.jpg

DSC_0459.jpg

3/28/13
Installed the hood struts tonight. These are awesome! Removed the hood prop rod as well!

Last edited:

Doug1227

Established Member
3/30/13

Took a few pics of the Trufiber coil covers and the brembos today. Enjoy. You can also barely see the hood strut and no prop rod in the first pic as well.

DSC_0468.jpg

DSC_0469.jpg

DSC_0470.jpg

DSC_0471.jpg

DSC_0472.jpg

DSC_0473.jpg

Here are a few more pics... I got the decals in and put them on this morning. Then I hit them with about 4-5 coats of clear. I'll get everything reassembled, and installed probably next weekend.

Here's decal and paint only, no clearcoat:
DSC_0464.jpg

DSC_0467.jpg

And here's after the clearcoat. The color looks a little different, but I think it's just the lighting:
DSC_0474.jpg

DSC_0475.jpg

DSC_0476.jpg

Last edited:

Doug1227

Established Member
4/13/13
Getting everything lined up for the supercharger install at the end of the month. I got my KB 40A BAP and 80# injectors in the mail yesterday. 2 pulleys and a pulley tool are on the way from KB. A few more odds and ends are on the way (3.5Bar MAP for the Aeroforce) and a vent bezel for it. I need to grab some plugs and that should be most of it.
I got the BAP installed today. From what I've read, the way the returnless setups work is the pressure won't spike with the installation of the BAP like they will on a return system, so I went ahead and installed everything. I'm getting 17.32V at idle, so I guess it's working.
I also picked up some Autozone Duralast CMax Gold pads for the Brembos. They're ceramic and are supposed to be quieter and MUCH cleaner. They're also only $50! I did pick up a LOT of black dust this week which immediately convinced me to try something else. I'll let y'all know how they do.

4/15/13
I decided to have the inlet manifold on the KB polished, so I'm gonna have a shop in Mesquite do it. Should have it back sometime late this week or early next week.

4/18/13
I got the 2 extra pulleys I ordered and the pulley removal tool from KB yesterday. The aeroforce MAP sensor and Roush vent gauge pod came in today. I haven't hooked up the map sensor yet, but I had to rush out there and install the pod and aeroforce though! I dig it. I'll probably wait on the map sensor until I hook up the KB so I can make sure I'm tapping the right line for accurate boost readings. I like the vent pod, as I didn't want a bunch of unsightly gauges hanging off the a-pillar. I'll post up some pics this weekend, as if no one knows what they look like! ha!

Doug1227

Established Member
I got the manifold back from the polisher. I think it came out pretty well. Here's the before:

pa6yrere.jpg

And After:
DSC_0550.jpg

DSC_0552.jpg

DSC_0556.jpg

DSC_0560.jpg

kingnut

Established Member
Great write up. So nice to see a black car with silver wheels instead of black.

MODCOBRA

Established Member
Great write up and modifications! Car looks great. Am I reading those right, are those TSW wheels? What sizes? Thanks

Doug1227

Established Member
The wheels are Eurotek UO02's. They are 19x8.5/9.5 with a +35/+40mm offset. Tires are 245/45-19 on front and 275/40-19 on back. I'll get away from the Pirelli All Seasons once they wear out and go with something else. I've also got some M/T ET Street Radials in 305/35-19 that I run during the summer months.

Great write up and modifications! Car looks great. Am I reading those right, are those TSW wheels? What sizes? Thanks

Doug1227

Established Member
For now, just ~625/500 or so. Down the road, a built bottom end and turn it up to around 750/600. :) I sold off my old turbo fox convertible which ran 10.8's @ 128, so I'd like this car to run comparable times, but be newer, nicer and have a/c!

Users who are viewing this thread