My Intro

TqMnster

Established Member
Well I never do these intro things whenever I join a forum but I figured I'd kill two birds with one stone... And plus I'm friggin loving my new truck!! :banana:

The names Chris. I'm From Monroe, NC. Just traded my 04 M6 GTO in on my 03 lightning yesterday.

DSCN0321A.jpg

Shitty cell phone pic
lightning.gif

I'm no stranger to horsepower. Was raised strictly GM/Mopar. Had a 70 Charger my dad and I restored. Had a 95 Z28 Camaro M6 we put a 383 stroker in. Dodge 2500 Cummins chipped, injectors, bigger turbo etc.. the GTO and now the Lightning lol. Never thought I would consider a Ford but the Eaton can be thanked for coaxing me on over to the dark side :-D

I do have a couple questions though. The salesman told me it had no recall on the carfax report but I was thinking I read somewhere there was a couple recalls on the lightning so should I take it in to have checked?

Also did every lightning come with keyless entry? I recieved no remote and its a BUMMER not having it. I ordered an ebay remote to try the program procedure to see if has the keyless entry.

I noticed when I stand on the throttle it hits 10psi. I was thinking 8psi is stock max. Any ideas?

Are there any simple/beneficial first mods that should be made? I'm 99% sure it has a new exhaust. Flowmasters I think. And I'm installing my Kenwood DNX7120 I pulled from my GTO so I can keep my IPod, DVD player and GPS. Looking for a nice billet grille combo. After seeing one members truck (SICK or S1CK is his/her name ?????) it inspred me. I am shopping around for a keyless ignition. May do a C6 retrofit of some kind or go with the flaming river kit.

Thanks for your time guys and I just wanna say I love this site. I havent seen a post yet of someone being an asshole and saying SEARCH or GTFO and everyone answers questions even if they've been covered 20 times. Dont get me wrong cause I DO search lol. -Chris

Last edited:

MMShaggy

10 Second Club
Established Member
Welcome to SVTP and the world of the fastest trucks out there.

Yea the Eaton was what swung me to the dark side as well....

10psi on the stock gauge is normal, there always off a bit.

As far as your first mods there is a FAQ post, that pretty much answers every question there is on these trucks. A must read if you want to keep your truck safe and enjoy it for years to come.

I'd recommend a CAI, FTVB, it really depends on how much $$$ you want to drop on your mods, and what you overall goal for the truck is in the end. Weekend warrior, drag, street, DD....

Again welcome to the site.

TqMnster

Established Member
Thanks man your truck is CLEAN. Next to the stock wheels your wheels are the first I've seen that I actually like on these trucks. What grille is that BTW? That's EXACTLY what I'm looking for. I did forget to mention but It came with a K&N cone filter on the end.

Tazman1

fast is not fast enough!!
Established Member
Since you are so close to South Carolina's Border. Why not stop in at Amazon Tuning for all your tuning needs.

Side note, you gonna come to Pigeon Forge TN for the Fall Rod Run? I'll be there.

Welcome to the site and let the Modding begin...

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
Due to the fact you bought a 2003 you don't have to worry about the leaking IC problem the 99-00s fell victim to and you also missed out on the four-thread heads of the 99-02 which causes those years to be more prone to launching plugs. You do need to go to Ford and have them perform the cruise control recall so your truck doesn't burn to the ground out of nowhere.

There are of course a few TSB (technical safety bulletins) which Ford put out but don't cover. One is the Ford head gasket "weepage" due to faulty head gaskets. Ford claims its not detrimental to performance or reliability. Essentially a small amount of oil is able to weep past the gasket surface under high RPM.

Here's a link to the FAQ's page Shaggy mentioned:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226842

Welcome to the site and happy modding!!

TqMnster

Established Member
i just got done reading the FAQ page. My mod list is already growing and I swore up and down I was gonna leave it alone for awhile!!!!! Only reason I never messed with the GTO mechanically was because I had an extended warranty but now I only have the 3 month dealer warranty they gave me so I'm in the clear to do what I want lol.

TqMnster

Established Member
Thats cool Bro. Just thought I would ask.

In the midst of trying to build the bank account back up some after getting some bills paid off and then getting this truck lol. When is it gonna be held?

Last edited:

TqMnster

Established Member
It starts 9/11 and goes till 9/14. They have them in the spring too.
go to www.mypigeonforge.com. Look at the calendar for events to find out when you can make the next one.

Jason....

Will Do! I emailed Amazon about an XCal tuner and I got some vacation days coming up so I'm hoping to be able to ride down and have it Dyno'ed for a good baseline and fine tuning. :dancenana:

jec1521

Jay
Established Member
The only recall you have to have done is the cruise control recall. Do it right away, as it could possible cause a fire, even when the truck is off and parked.

Also, all Lightnings came with keyless entry. A new key fob should solve your problem.

TqMnster

Established Member
The only recall you have to have done is the cruise control recall. Do it right away, as it could possible cause a fire, even when the truck is off and parked.

Also, all Lightnings came with keyless entry. A new key fob should solve your problem.

Thanks man thats what i was wanting to hear. I really miss my keyless and its only been a day :nonono: I'll have the cruise checked out asap.

Users who are viewing this thread