My HP Turbo build

WhiteSSP

Established Member
Well I figured I would make a post here to document my build as I do more and more to it. I just recently purchased my first turbo "kit", its a used HP hotside and coldside kit that I'll be peicing together the rest of as it goes along. I hope to have everything done by April at the latest. Its going on a 1989 Mustang GT

86y6d7r.jpg

6lkhymg.jpg

8fkgg95.jpg

Here's the rundown of parts so far:

HP 1 3/4" primary manifolds
HP 3" Crossover with slipjoint
HP 3" coldside
HP 3.5" Core IC
HP 3.5" downpipe
TiAL 50mm BOV
TiAL 44mm Wastegate
Walboro GSS340 Fuel Pump
Spec Stage II clutch

I plan on getting some VHT "Flameproof" high temp paint and painting the entire hotside, then using some DEI exhaust wrap and silicone coating on the entire hotside as well to help protect everything.

I'm still undecided on the turbocharger itself, but I've narrowed it down to the Master Power T70, Precision PT6776, or Turbonetics 62-1. I'm looking for around 400-450whp right now and full boost by 3500rpm.

I still need to buy injectors, a MAF, colder plugs, new wires, plug wire protector's, turbo blanket, turbo, oil lines, electric fan, boost guage and pod, and whatever I need to get it tuned (will be tuned by my friend Kevin @ PAS in Richmond, VA).

Here's a couple of pictures of the car that its going on:

6aui61g.jpg

011.gif

I just copied my thread from tm.com over to here so the guys who dont go on there can see it. I'm going to document the stages of the build/install as they happen :)

WhiteSSP

Established Member
Time for an update, first batch of ordered parts came in :)

6td6xs6.jpg

DEI Exhaust Wrap Kit
DEI Silicone Coating (black)
DEI Spark Plug Wire protectors (8" for maximum protection)
Autometer 2 1/16" Ultralite Boost Guage (30hg - 20psi)
Autometer 2 1/16" single guage pod
VHT Flameproof 1200* sustained High Temp paint (white)

I didnt get the package until 5:40pm tonight because my house is about 2 minutes away from the FexEx shipping HQ, so I want able to really get much done. I started sanding down a little of the insides of the manifolds and crossover as they were previously jet-hot coated and some of the coating has started to flake off and looks like rust or something inside. I couldnt get too far in the pipes as I couldnt find anything to use but some sandpaper and my fingers, but it cleaned up alot of the bad stuff that I saw just the little bit that I got in. I'll hopefully have the manifolds, crossover, and downpipe painted and wrapped by next week.

WhiteSSP

Established Member
Well, since I had the day off and it was 18* outside, I decided i would go ahead and try to clean up the hotside piping. Started the day off by taking some sandpaper to the manifolds and crossover to scuff them up some before painting. Also removed the TiAL 44mm Wastegate before painting it as well.

2qls5ua.jpg

6yiov4.jpg

Once again I'm using VHT's Flameproof paint (1200* sustained temps) on all of the hot parts all the way back to the y pipe.

2qn6yac.jpg

In order to get the best coverage and ease of painting, I decided to hang everything from the garage door tracks with some string . It definitely made everything easy to get to to paint it as I could rotate the pipes as needed.

2rysx15.jpg

6dwwsj.jpg

m9oz9u.jpg

Once the manifolds and crossover had dried sufficiently, I took those down and hung up the downpipe and painted that as well.

14tvo0w.jpg

As the downpipe was drying, I began to wrap the manifolds/crossover with DEI's Exaust Wrap. I was using the 2"x50 fot rolls that came in the kit they sell (great deal for anyone who wants to do this BTW, $80 for 2 rolls of 2"x50, 1 can of silicone coating, and alot of metal ties). I started by soaking the wrap in some hot water (only hot because of how cold it is) for a few minutes to get it nice and pliable and to also keep the fiberglass on the wrap and out of the air as much as possible.

5cx73d.jpg

Once it was wet enough, I started wrapping. I made sure to overlap a good amount as I wanted to minimize places where heat could get out and I wanted to make sure it was nice and tight.

hx4x2o.jpg

hstmif.jpg

nospyu.jpg

And here is the finished product for today. I'm not going to be keeping the black zipties on there, they're just on until everything dries. I have a ton of zip ties, but not alot of the metal ties, so I wanted to use those temporarily so I get everything straight before using the metal ones.

2jcg4r7.jpg

2aerqyp.jpg

Aerosi665

Daily Driver
Established Member
Holy crap your fox looks fantastic with the BBK's. Turbo kit looks to be coming along very nicely, should make some great power. Always nice to see a badass build thread. :rockon:

Paulinator

Established Member
get a spool of metal safety wire and use that metal zip ties will cut the sh1t out of ur hands we used safety wire. its cheaper and u get about 25ft of it in a small can.

WhiteSSP

Established Member
Thanks for the compliments everyone.

mabey I missed it but is this going on a stock motor?

btw nice car looks like fun.

Yeah, its a 100% stock motor. Hopefully it'll hold up to 8-10psi and 400whp or so for a while so I can build the rest of the car :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread