My FRPP Recaro's just came in...

Paul.

Established Member
I wanna know who the guy at Ford design is that listened to the arguments from all sides and then proclaimed "Nah, we're only going to offer the Recaro seats without power and without heat in the GT500. And if some pissy customer thinks they can go the backdoor route and buy a leather Recaro from FRPP.......well, I'll put a stop to that too." You sir, are not worthy of the position that allows you to wield such authority.

No kidding. There is no reason to leave out power and heat on a $66k+ car. And this is certainly not something that is easily remedied.

hey it's not just the gt500 that got the shaft too! :(

it is probably the same bean counter that decided there shalt not be any telescopic adjustment for the steering wheel, a proper dead pedal, or folding side mirrors in a car that costs this much to buy which can all be found in some basic econoboxes :nonono:

OMG - the telescopic wheel (or absence thereof) makes me want to kick a puppy. I replaced my 2009 Honda Civic (please, no comments) with my '11 GT. When I got into the Mustang, I immediately realized how much harder it is to get a comfortable seating position than little Honda that cost half as much. Quite frankly, the seats in my Honda were more supportive and more comfortable than what came in my Mustang. Then when I realized I couldn't extend the wheel toward me, I wanted to rain unholy fire on the Ford engineering department. Pardon me Ford, but leaving out the telescopic wheel is flat ****ing retarded. Period.

Then, the OEM Ford seat warmers are absolutely mediocre at best. The heated seats in my girlfriend's Elantra are much better. They heat up quicker, and they get much hotter. The ones in my car get warm, and that's about it.

However, my complaints on the car quickly dissolve away every time I make use of my new 5.0. :)

Paul.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
...it is probably the same bean counter that decided there shalt not be any telescopic adjustment for the steering wheel, a proper dead pedal, or folding side mirrors in a car that costs this much to buy which can all be found in some basic econoboxes :nonono:

The difference is, Ford already produces (or has produced for them I should say) every component that Paul or I added to make a more complete Mustang seat. If there was a choice of options between:

A) Plastic badges, vinyl stripes and stickers

OR

B) Power, heated, Recaro seats

I know which option I would have checked. Eliminating content by substituting fluff is a failure that does not go unnoticed. Yet my sense is that Ford is merely responding to what the market has asked them for - image over content.:xpl:

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
I better read this thread again. Even though not the recaros my wife gave me the go ahead on the TMI seats

Looks like I'll be testing my patience on some upholstery work. I'll probably add heated seats while in in there

04SNK390HP

I hate SHEEPLE
Established Member
Hey everyone.

One hell of a thread to read. So many details and pics. Awesome work TOB and others that have contributed.

I have someone local to me that wants to trade me his Recaro seats from his 2012 GT500 for my standard powered leather seats from my 2011 GT500.

Will this be a simple plug n play swap or will we have issues with the airbag light once the swap is completed? Do we need to disconnect our battery's or remove any fuses?

Thanks in advance!!

-Nick

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Nick, it is possible you may have to do some mixing and matching of the airbag components, depending on whether his '12 seats were early or late. Nothing that can't be made to work (if necessary at all) but be prepared for a bit more work than just plug and play.

See if you can compare the air bag sensors under the seat. If they are the same consider yourself lucky.

04SNK390HP

I hate SHEEPLE
Established Member
Did the swap this morning. Swap was plug n play for our two GT500's. His car was a 2012 with a APR2011 build date, mine is a 2011 with a OCT2010 build date. No air bag light came after the swap and the connectors under our seats were both the same shape/style.

Not sure if I will keep the red stripe since my car is sterling grey. I would really like to find a nice set of 2013 GT500 black Recaro's since I miss the Alcantara in my seats already, lol. Anywho, here's a couple pics. Nothing fancy.

Couldn't beat the deal I got. Straight up trade :pepper:

nb8bjk.jpg

1zxsadh.jpg

-Nick :beer:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Nick, sometimes the stars align and everything works out perfectly. It is great to see you jump into this thing headfirst with the rest of us. Seats look great man.

The alcantara.....I think the leather wears better. In the long run, the full leathers will look better as years pass. Thats how I look at it anyway, and I have the alcantara.

04SNK390HP

I hate SHEEPLE
Established Member
Nick, sometimes the stars align and everything works out perfectly. It is great to see you jump into this thing headfirst with the rest of us. Seats look great man.

The alcantara.....I think the leather wears better. In the long run, the full leathers will look better as years pass. Thats how I look at it anyway, and I have the alcantara.

Thanks Tob!!

Is there a link of any sort showing what Gary Disney can offer as far as materials and prices on a custom set of Recaro covers? I'm definitely interested.

-Nick

Paul.

Established Member
All of the answers to your question are in this thread. You'll need to swap airbags and the passenger occupant classification system. TOB's and my write-up and pictures should give you everything you need.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I paid over $1,000 for two custom Recaro skins from Gary Disney. Not cheap but very high quality. He can do them any way you like.

96slowbra

Established Member
i recently acquired a set of recaros that were in a 2007 gt500. the seats are both power with seat tracks from a 2007 mustang. my car is 2010 gt500 and i have swapped both seat harnesses to 2010, and ran the appropriate power and ground for the power passenger seat.

the problem that i am fighting is the passenger seat position sensor.. 2010 was the first year that this appeared.. there is no holes to mount one, so i am hoping that i can just drill 2 holes and bolt it to the upper rail?? has anyone been here before with any insight??

04SNK390HP

I hate SHEEPLE
Established Member
i recently acquired a set of recaros that were in a 2007 gt500. the seats are both power with seat tracks from a 2007 mustang. my car is 2010 gt500 and i have swapped both seat harnesses to 2010, and ran the appropriate power and ground for the power passenger seat.

the problem that i am fighting is the passenger seat position sensor.. 2010 was the first year that this appeared.. there is no holes to mount one, so i am hoping that i can just drill 2 holes and bolt it to the upper rail?? has anyone been here before with any insight??

You can just mount the sensors to the rail in the same locations as your 2010 seat rails. They basically measure the distance from the driver/passenger to the airbags so it knows how fast or slow to deploy them.

-Nick

96slowbra

Established Member
the 2010 seats in their entirety are gone. but i drilled the holes, using the driver seat as a template and miraculously there are no more airbag codes. kind of been a long and annoying journey.

p.s. change the seat harness to your specific year.. i plugged in the 2007 harness that the seat came with because the connectors are the same, not a good idea. i fried the restraint control module.

mkecobraGT500

Established Member
This is such a great thread with so much info, thanks guys!

I have just come into 2012 recaro seats and I'd like to put them in my 2008 GT500. I am fine with no power or lumbar and keeping the recaro bases. So I disconnect the negative battery terminal, pull the fuse and then I can just bolt in the recaros and plug them in? If the passenger bladder is a problem and I put the fuse in, is there risk the air bag might go? If only the dashlight airbag light comes on and I swap the bladder following the instructions and pics in this thread, will pulling the fuse again clear the warning light? I'm just looking to get these recaros in my car with as little issue and work as possible ;-) Some of this is intimidating and probably beyond my skill level.

Thanks!!

Users who are viewing this thread