My Fox is dead...HELP

SLOW95

SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP!
Established Member
While driving to work yesterday my car just stopped running. It did not sputter or give any indication that something was wrong I only notice because my RPM gauge dropped. So I have full power I can roll up my windows listen to the radio ect. When I try to start the car it turns over like it is out of gas, I just put gas in it a few days ago. So my question is what are some place to look to find out why the hell it just stopped like that. Any ideas would be great thanks:beer:

Last edited:

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
Fuel pump fuel pump relays can you hear the pump when you turn the key?

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
I had a bad relay on my coupe and it would just randomly shut off. Finally got a good American made relay from car quest. It's been going strong for 6 years now.

SLOW95

SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP!
Established Member
Well I just took off the distributor cap and cleaned it... still not running next on the list the ignition coil.

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
No if the pump is coming on then that rules out fuel pump and the relay. You will next need to check spark and ignition fuel, spark, and ignition are the only things that will make a car not run.

gbranton

Resu Deretsiger
Established Member
Another possible culprit is the TFI module on the distributor. They are somewhat infamous for going bad.

SLOW95

SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP!
Established Member
Well had zero spark after checking so I thought it was the Ignition Coil changed that and still nothing ****.

4.6mustang5.0

ModularFive.ohohoh
Established Member
definately sounds like something w/ the distributor, w/ cap and rotor "cleaned"

idk what else can be done but if you have a find a friend w/ a 95 and switch distributors to see if it works, thats what i did on my 94 when i found out i had no spark, bad distributor was the problem

SLOW95

SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP!
Established Member
definately sounds like something w/ the distributor, w/ cap and rotor "cleaned"

idk what else can be done but if you have a find a friend w/ a 95 and switch distributors to see if it works, thats what i did on my 94 when i found out i had no spark, bad distributor was the problem

Ok I took off the top and cleaned that with alcohol it had a little grim in it put it back on and still no kaboom.:whine:
So now the question is, will a bad distributor leave me with no spark and just die while driving down the road or will a TFI Module do that. Thanks for your help guys I owe you all a beer.:beer:

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
My money is on the TFI module. When they fail, you'll get no spark, and they are known to fail. I've been through several on my car. Some failed slowly, letting me know by causing the car to buck and miss, others just flat out stopped working going down the road.

Swap out the TFI and I'd bet your car will run fine.

SLOW95

SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP!
Established Member
My money is on the TFI module. When they fail, you'll get no spark, and they are known to fail. I've been through several on my car. Some failed slowly, letting me know by causing the car to buck and miss, others just flat out stopped working going down the road.

Swap out the TFI and I'd bet your car will run fine.

LOL your right I just did the light test for the TFI and there is no flash which tell me your right. Im ordering one as we speak. I will be back in the event that the test ****ed me. Thank again guys love this site.:beer:

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Are you sure your ignition coil is good? When you installed the new TFI, did you put di-electric grease on the back of it and make sure the pin's were clean before installing it?

delvin.a

Established Member
Pip is inside the distributor I think*

I had a very similar problem ended up getting the distributor rebuilt and a new tfi and it all went away.

Stock distributor or aftermarket?

03 TOPLESSSVT

Established Member
PIP's go bad all the time too. Last issue I had with a customers 5.0 it ended up being that. I keep a complete test dist around for just that reason.

SLOW95

SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP!
Established Member
Are you sure your ignition coil is good? When you installed the new TFI, did you put di-electric grease on the back of it and make sure the pin's were clean before installing it?

So your saying the pins arnt supposed to get greased up as well? If so I ****ed up,
Ok went and double checked and I did put the grease on the pins as well. Damn it but I cleaned it all off put it back on and still nothing.

Last edited:

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
So your saying the pins arnt supposed to get greased up as well? If so I ****ed up,
Ok went and double checked and I did put the grease on the pins as well. Damn it but I cleaned it all off put it back on and still nothing.

Grease on the pins is ok, it's conductive. A little up there will even help keep moisture out, so you didn't hurt yourself there. I was more concerned with there being junk in the connector.

Sounds like your problem is elsewhere though. Could be the pip, could be a bad coil. Do you have any friends with 5.0's (trucks work too) that you can exchange parts with to help troubleshoot? There are tests for this stuff, but since swapping it out is so simple, that's often an easier check.

Users who are viewing this thread