My First post in here.. and I got Kilt!!

tkiller

Established Member
So, after finding out that my wife is pregnant with our second, I look into my finances and realize that I can't afford a daily driver worth pi$$ing on if it was on fire. Extremely be-grudgingly, I do the right thing for the family and sell the '03 Cobra, my baby. Knowing that I need a 4-door car, and still want to have fun, I go out and get an '04 STI, de-badge it and de-wing it. I will have another Cobra as quickly as I can pay this thing off (hopefully, under 3 years).

Anyways, after 2.5 hours of basketball and 1 hours of lifting, I'm on my way home. I pull up next to '99 - '01 Mustang GT. It looks good, Saleen wheels, waxed up nice, etc. Just before the light turns green, he almost launches through the intersection and I realize he wants to race. So, about the time I get the RPM's up to about 4K, the light turns green, and he destroys me. It's terrible. I'm not the greatest driver, but I ain't the worst. I missed no shifts, ran the RPM's up to 6800 every time (that's where the shift light/beep is set)

I can't describe how badly he left me. I get caught at a light, he slows down so I can catch back up. Now, we're cruising at ~55, side by side, wide open road, no traffic around. I punch it, got about half a length on him at the start and extend that out to about a full length by the time we get to 140. I back off, he pulls into a gas station, I follow to bullsh!t. I can tell he has an exhaust, so I ask what he's done to it. "Bone stock... Bone stock" He seems to be a nice guy, forties or so, wife in the car who looks nice. I say "C'mon, there has to be SOMETHING..." He says "nah, just the way it left the factory..." He's kinda blowing me off like some dumb-a$$ ricer and I tell him I had an '03 Cobra 2 weeks ago. He says "yeah, I had one too... have a good night" and walks away.

Damn, I wanted to scream... "I'm not really a ricer!!!!! I'm doing the right thing!!!! Taking one for the family team!!!!!!"

And before anyone starts in on "STI's dominate... Cobra's are heavy and slow, blah blah blah" Let me say this: I have owned an '01 Cobra, and '03 Cobra, and have had the STI for 2 weeks. There is no comparison. The low end torque of the '03 dominates all others. That's just a fact of life.

The instant I pay this car off, I WILL HAVE ANOTHER '03/'04.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
He was just an arrogant ass, but to be expected from a guy in his forties owning a mustang.

Nice job taking care of the family, that is (in part) why I have to sell my 65. So I know what you mean....Maybe an SRT4 woudl have turned your conversation better?

2slow50

Banned
The "TEAM" always comes first trust me I know.. I sold - traded in my 94 GT for a dont laugh a 03 Neon R/T. 6 months later I got my 91 GT not nearly as nice but I like it alot better than the R/T or the 94..

300bhp/ton

I just like cars!!!
Established Member
boo hooo hooo

You have to drive round in a nice NEW car of your own choosing?????

What exactly are you complaining about? If you don't like the Subaru why did you buy it?

I agree loosing the Temrinator is downer, but you could have bought a cheap boring 4 door family car 2nd hand, maybe a 4wd like a Cherokee or something and then a cheaper older Mustang maybe like a tidy 5.0 and owned them both outright. no monthly payments = more cash in pocket for the family and/or mods for the 5.0

Not saying you should have done this, but it was an option. And whining that the WRX (you basically sound like you hate it????) when it was a free choice to purchase it just doesn't make sense to me.

Family = 1st YES

But why spend money on something you don't want?

Last edited:

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
what a moron the guy in the Mustang GT was, also NO WAY was it stock.. the STI vs Mustang GT stock vs stock, the GT might keep up with one on the highway, but off the line, not a chance in hell..

now 2nd, why'd you get rid of your Cobra for a "family car" when my son was a baby, I had a 97 Cobra that worked just fine for a family car.. his car seat strapped into the back seat nicely, and it's not like he needed the leg room when he weighted 30 lbs..

(of course now that he's 140 lbs and almost as tall as me, the back seat's just a little bit small) but we have 2 other vehicles to take care of that, his mom's 04 Nissan Murano and my 01 Explorer Sport(along with my 03 Cobra)

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
ponygt65 said:
He was just an arrogant ass, but to be expected from a guy in his forties owning a mustang.
?
Why do you grow jackass ears when you turn 40? I love my 03 Cobra and Race SCCA and Road courses. I have no issues with the young guys. I guess I have not met you yet.

tkiller

Established Member
300bhp/ton said:
boo hooo hooo

You have to drive round in a nice NEW car of your own choosing?????

What exactly are you complaining about? If you don't like the Subaru why did you buy it?

I agree loosing the Temrinator is downer, but you could have bought a cheap boring 4 door family car 2nd hand, maybe a 4wd like a Cherokee or something and then a cheaper older Mustang maybe like a tidy 5.0 and owned them both outright. no monthly payments = more cash in pocket for the family and/or mods for the 5.0

Not saying you should have done this, but it was an option. And whining that the WRX (you basically sound like you hate it????) when it was a free choice to purchase it just doesn't make sense to me.

Family = 1st YES

But why spend money on something you don't want?

--> I'm not trying to hate on my own car. I like the STI.... It's a fun car to drive, not completely ball-less, that's why I bought it. But I hated, HATED, selling the Cobra. That was my baby.... loved it, and I will have one again.

I do like fox bodies, older Mustangs, etc, but the '03/'04 is the ride for me. If I can't afford that and a reliable daily driver, I'd rather have something completely different and hold out for the '03/'04. Which is what I'm doing. I'm not hating on the car, just want my '03 back. For situations exactly like last night.

Juice33

Patently Awesome
Established Member
Next time don't launch at 4000 rpm, make it between 5500- 6000 rpm and let loose. 4000 rpm is not the optimal launching point.

I had an 04 STi

tkiller

Established Member
DaleM said:
Why do you grow jackass ears when you turn 40? I love my 03 Cobra and Race SCCA and Road courses. I have no issues with the young guys. I guess I have not met you yet.

Yeah, we actually met in Concord Mills a couple years ago, at a get together in December. There were some Supra guys there, and you had just put on your Whipple. Awesome, awesome car. My white '03 was stock then.

Anyways, I ain't that young any more (30 in December).

tkiller

Established Member
Juice33 said:
Next time don't launch at 4000 rpm, make it between 5500- 6000 rpm and let loose. 4000 rpm is not the optimal launching point.

I had an 04 STi

I will try that. I haven't had the car 2 weeks yet, so I'm still learning what I can do with it.

BTW, the test drive was funny... Similar to that '03 test drive video that was floating around..... I asked the sales woman if she wanted someone else to ride along. She hung in there, albeit white knuckled at times (around corners).

tkiller

Established Member
Silver2003Cobra said:
what a moron the guy in the Mustang GT was, also NO WAY was it stock.. the STI vs Mustang GT stock vs stock, the GT might keep up with one on the highway, but off the line, not a chance in hell..

now 2nd, why'd you get rid of your Cobra for a "family car" when my son was a baby, I had a 97 Cobra that worked just fine for a family car.. his car seat strapped into the back seat nicely, and it's not like he needed the leg room when he weighted 30 lbs..

(of course now that he's 140 lbs and almost as tall as me, the back seat's just a little bit small) but we have 2 other vehicles to take care of that, his mom's 04 Nissan Murano and my 01 Explorer Sport(along with my 03 Cobra)

I thought about that long and hard, but driving around 2 young'ins in the rain w/ 450 hp at the rear wheels isn't the safest. And for the power I want my Cobra to make, it wouldn't fit for a daily driver. The STI is a great grocery getter, fun for back and forth to work. I'll bite the bullet for a couple years and get the car I want. If child care wasn't so expensive, then maybe.

BTW, I test drove a Murano when my wife was shopping for a car a year ago, and I was surprised. That's not a bad ride...

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
tkiller said:
Yeah, we actually met in Concord Mills a couple years ago, at a get together in December. There were some Supra guys there, and you had just put on your Whipple. Awesome, awesome car. My white '03 was stock then.

Anyways, I ain't that young any more (30 in December).
Was I an asshole? I was about 39 back then. My daughter has Cobie (the dog) in Myrtle Beach these days.

Users who are viewing this thread