My First Fox

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
Hey guys i might be getting my first fox body. :banana: i posted my yamaha raptor for sale last night on craigslist and a guy offered up his fox for trade this morning. Heres what all is done to it:
-1988 5.0 lx convertible (only thing i dont like)
-rebuilt engine and automatic tranny
-e303 cam
-headers
-2800 stall
-new head and taillights
Only thing it needs is a new heater core and radiator, both of which he can supply. and he said hed throw in a set of 3.73 gears and an install kit.

Im super excited about this, as i have always wanted a fox, and it looks pretty clean. i cant tell from the picture he sent me, but it looks to be dark blue or black. What do you guys think?

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
Is the E303 cam nice? I'm just waiting for the guy to email me back about meeting but I'm not a pushrod guy..yet haha. I dont know as much about the 5.0s as I do modulars. I have a 96 cobra

Mach&Roll

Established Member
Post up some pics. The only thing I wouldn't like is the convert and maybe the auto but should be a fun car.

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
eh auto convertible is a bad mix for a fox.I would say hold off being how ugly and slow they are, e303 cam with stock heads is not gonna make much more power then stock, unless you like a convertible I would suggest holding off for a fox notch / hatch lx car 5 speed or auto car.

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
I'm not crazy about convertibles or notches, I'd love a hatchback but all I have to offer right now is my four wheeler and a little bit of cash. That's a pretty limited market. And I don't think this is a bad start. If anything, I could take the engine out, build it up and sell the body as a roller, then get a hatchback or just drop the 5.0 in my cobra when I decide to rebuild the 4.6

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
also, what is this speed density thing my friends step dad keeps talking about? He has a couple fox's and he said if it hasnt been converted to MAF and its still speed density then i shouldnt get it because i wont be able to mod it? i have no idea what hes talking about. lol And ill try to get a pic of it up

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
also, what is this speed density thing my friends step dad keeps talking about? He has a couple fox's and he said if it hasnt been converted to MAF and its still speed density then i shouldnt get it because i wont be able to mod it? i have no idea what hes talking about. lol And ill try to get a pic of it up

Speed density is pre maf, I belive the 1987and older foxbody 5.0 pushrod cars still had speed density instead of a maf, which means tunning and modding is very limited with them cars, which is why most people switch to the maf setup and most shops say they dont like to tune pre obd1 95 and older mustangs / 5.0 cars(least in my area) so atleast switch it over to maf setup

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
Oh okay I understand. And I'd love to War_machine92 but I'd probably have to sell my cobra to afford that lol I'd much prefer a hatchback

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
If that car hasn't had a MAF conversion done yet, I'd hope it would have a tune, otherwise, I'd be surprised if it wasn't running like crap because of the cam swap. A MAF conversion isn't difficult to do, so don't let that turn you off of the car if you want it.

Do you have any pictures of it to post?

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
Oh okay cause my friends step dad was saying it'd be like $500 to convert and it was worrying me. But yeah I have one picture of the car but I don't know how to post it on here lol. When I click on the add image button it just tells me to type in a URL but it isn't on a web page

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
If anyone can explain how to put a pic up on here I will lol. But the car looks in great shape from the one picture he sent me. We're going to meet Friday. But the car is a dark blue with a black top and the stock sn95 GT pony wheels. I never liked them but they actually don't look that bad on it.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Just host it on photobucket or something and post the

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Nope, didn't work. Once you load them there, they'll give you an "IMG" tag to cut and paste here. That'll hot link the picture.

Post one of under the hood, we can tell you if it's got a MAF on it or not pretty quick.

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
Alright I'll have to do that when I get home at 3. But I finally got ahold of the guy for more than a minute and he said it hasn't been converted yet. Where could I get all the parts I need to convert it to MAF?

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
I don't really understand how it couldn't have been converted yet though if it actually has the E303 cam like he says it does. Because it would run like crap right without a tune? We're meeting Friday and he said he's gonna show me the build pics of it

Users who are viewing this thread