My first Cobra but my 11th Mustang...

Stangcrazygirl

Established Member
Hi! I just traded my 90 GT for a 97 Cobra. This is my first Cobra and well all I have to say is wow.. these cars handle and its much faster than my 90 GT.

Any info? Tips you guys can give me on this car? The only issue I have found so far is that reverse pops out of gear sometimes (and it has grinded a few times but that may have been my fault).

What are some good starter mods for it?

It has some kind of gears in it maybe 3:73's or 4:10's not sure but the speedo is off..

It has a short throw shifter, pro-m mass air meter, K&N filter, high flow catted X-pipe, and Bassani mufflers.

Thanks for you help!

Stangcrazygirl

Established Member
Just anything about these cars that they may be prone to doing... problems and such.

And what quick bolt-ons to make some quick hp. I am pulling off the x-pipe and mufflers because I don't like the way they sound.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
id toss the pro M right out as well. (actually sell it on ebay). They just lean the car out to make power.

Id probably do a good set of pullies (march fluiddampner), a JLT CAI or RAI, o/r h pipe, and step up to 4.30 gears.

1997cobrasvt

Established Member
yeah the sticky by rippin is very helpfull for new people and even the usuals. one thing I will stress is to search!! and dont ask if the 03/04 eaton fits our cars!!! ooo and congrats on the new car!

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
any suspention mods? if not, get some springs and Caster camber plates on there. Subframe connectors and what not... make it slither through the turns. and as stated before, underdrives, and JLT. maybe even a alum. driveshaft to lighten rotating mass? your tranny may have popped outta gear if the stops on the shifter arent adjusted correctly. congrats on the car... lets see some pics

1996MysticSnake

Established Member
Gears are definetly the best bang for the buck no matter what anyone says. 4.10s or bust

Stavesacre21

Thinkin 4th Dimensionally
Established Member
whats you RPMS sitting at @ 60MPH. We'll figure your gears out right now!

SVT Lurch

Good times
Established Member
Any info? Tips you guys can give me on this car? The only issue I have found so far is that reverse pops out of gear sometimes (and it has grinded a few times but that may have been my fault).
Go into 4th first, then into reverse.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
The insert image button does nothing when I click it (same with all the buttons).

So here is a link to pics: It needs some work... like removing the faded stripes, remove that grill, and repaint the car. :-(

I'm not a big fan of stripes but since yours aren't red or blue its a pleasant change. The link and smilies icons have been down for a few days for "Site upgrades"

Users who are viewing this thread