My first car back from the dead, '90 GR40+351+YSi

STROKD

Takin pictures of stuff
Established Member
Mom bought this new as a DD for work when I was 12. Learned to drive in parking lots at 14 in it, and was given the keys at 16. Dad wanted to mod it some as a father-son project. We started with heads/cam/exhaust, RRs, intake manifold etc etc... it ran decent but was sorta sluggish with the AOD and 3.27s. Dad ordered a transmission and stall for it and it was a lot more fun... would go sideways on the 1-2 shift. Sent it to John Griggs and had them "fix" the suspension and brakes... swapped for a Tremec a year or two later when we got tired of repairind the AODs (kept melting gears). then ended up with a S trim, blew the hg's off the stock 302, fixed that, swapped cams, then a lifter blew up, lost a cylinder and hydralocked... called up Keith Craft, specced an Aluminum Dart 351 short stroke 4.145x3.25, changed heads, cam, and intake, swapped for a YSi, FAST XFi, fuel system etc, had car painted while the motor was being built, and then it sat pretty much undriven... for 9 years.... These pictures are after washing it for the first time since it was painted in May 2003.

Anyway, thought I would share. Car is part of the family and I am proud of it even if it is just a Mustang Convertible. Should get it on the dyno in a week or two, made 599/580rw at 12 psi with blown cat converters back in 03-4ish sometime, had converters cut out before it pretty much sat in storage for 5 years straight. Just glad it seems to run with no problems. Hoping to max the A1K out on it around 680-720 rw. Weldon 2345 and Magnum 6 speed are next on the plans if my dad doesn't decide to sell it back to me, which it will end up with left overs out of my 86 when I upgrade it. Should hopefully crack 900 (hopefully 1KRW) in the next year or two if all goes well.

OVRBRD002.jpg

OVRBRD004.jpg

OVRBRD013.jpg

OVRBRD015.jpg

OVRBRD072.jpg

OVRBRD083.jpg

OVRBRD084.jpg

OVRBRD086.jpg

snaked

Attractive Member
Established Member
Damn! Nice. That's an all around good car! How well does it put the power down?

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
How is it possible to let a foxbody that clean sit for 5 years?? Beautiful!

Novi357

It's stock...
Established Member
I like the stereo speaker work. Very creative! I'm assuming you have grills for it.

STROKD

Takin pictures of stuff
Established Member
Damn! Nice. That's an all around good car! How well does it put the power down?

It almost dead hooks on Nittos at 30psi. Torque arms f'in rule.

Collin, when I get a job and can keep it. 99 sold last week so cash is ready when I don't have to worry about the house payment...

Novi, no, the grills and trunk work never got finished by my friend who installed the stereo... I will get that finished once the car is running correctly.

DirtyD, yes I never plan to sell it, its in storage with the drivetrian all over the place.

Sxe, it's still technically my dad's car and he loves the "cheesegrater" gt lights... It is so old school I kinda dig the stock lights now because no one has em.

Sapper, you are the third person who's mentioned the interior. What's wrong with it honestly? No one likes stereos anymore?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Nice build man!! God damn where the hell have you been?!! ever since you moved back to TX you fell off the face of the planet!

STROKD

Takin pictures of stuff
Established Member
Nice build man!! God damn where the hell have you been?!! ever since you moved back to TX you fell off the face of the planet!

Was playin around with Vettes a while, sold em both off to finish my 86, and get another toy in a year or two. My 'rents moved to Boise so I have no plans to be back to the Bay anytime soon.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I hear that lol.. I don't live there anymore, I Just meant like you fell off of the forums and such too!! Clean ass car man, how's the other fox coming along?

red351wcobra

Established Member
Where you out at the Forest Lane cruise lastnight? There was a car that looked identical to yours, and it had that distinct Vortec sound.

STROKD

Takin pictures of stuff
Established Member
Where you out at the Forest Lane cruise lastnight? There was a car that looked identical to yours, and it had that distinct Vortec sound.

That was me... Had 4 guys ask if it was a ProCharger, and I was almost offended. Lol dunno why, I just like Vortechs. Guess the license plate frame wasn't obvious enough.

red351wcobra

Established Member
Lol, There is no mistaking what kind of blower you have on your car.. I was there in my White 70 Boss 302, I was with the big Boss group across the street. Your car is really really nice. I did notice when you where in the turn lane your taillights weren't on, but your headlights where.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Yup, love the two tone. That's an awesome story behind the car though, never sell it.

Edit: btw I think the speakers and crossovers in the open is cool, a bit showy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread