My first 1/4 mile times!!

MyZinc03

Established Member
Went to Etown for the first time with this car and had a very tough time to say the least. I dont know what the track conditions were like that day but this car would not hook for anything. And I baby it out of the hole!!! At about 4500 rpm in first, the rear-end hop sets in. At this point, you have to shift or let off the gas, otherwise your teeth fly out. So I shift and proceed to go sideways at the top of 2nd. I decide that all is lost and shut down cruising to the traps at like 70 in 6th. Could not do anything to make this car hook. It would always lose it at the top of first gear. On my very first run I was able to avoid the hop maybe because I was one of the first to go and the track was better. I also stayed out of it a little when the revs got up there. This run got me a 13.5 @ 108. My 60' was 2.3. Everything after that was a waste. My car has the K&N and the flowmaster catback. Everything else is stock. BTW, etown is at sea level. So I put my tail between my legs and went home. 108 seems like an ok trap speed I think but I have no idea how to bring the et down without having to buy drag radials. I go to the track very rarely so getting drag radials is not something I want to do. Let me know if you guys have any advice for me. Thanks.

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Some tracks are prepped better than others. With a good layer of VHT you will get much better traction. If you are loosing traction at 4500 RPMs, the track was either prepped bad (or not at all) or it was a very cold track. On a good track, once you are past the initial launch, you should always have traction.

Ghoust

Will Over Skill
Established Member
what RPM are u launching at? Are you powershifting? Using a full tank of gas? Do you do a small burnout before your pass?

03SLOBRA

Trollin aint easy
Established Member
Not a bad run, but I think you know whare you need to improve. For a benchmark just know that 2.0 60ft's on stock street F1's is what you should shoot for. Lucky for you every tenth in the 60ft is .2 on the big end. So a 12.9 is there for the taking. Speed seems a bit low but that probably has to do with the short shifting. The wheel hop well not much to do about that, just comes with the car.

GUY WAGNER

Established Member
1/4 Mi Times

I went to Island Dragway yesterday for the second outing with the Cobra.Finally starting to get the hang of launching this thing.Best pass [email protected]l very little traction, only 40deg. though.Still have enough wheel hop,even with the Amazon shocks.I have the MM and the Steeda bushings waiting to go on,I sure hope they are worth the effort..............
Guy

ADR

Greased Lightning
Established Member
Those are good times, but I've been researching on launching these things and most people on stock F1's only launch at about 2000-2500 and they slip the clutch, some even launch from idle.

SVT F15O

Rest night.
Established Member
Just wait until I go to the track. I bet I will have the worst times. :) As long as you have fun that is all that matters. -Mat-

SC457A

Established Member
i raced my 03 at the texas motorplex on a sat night points race two weeks ago.. track is prepared much better.. only made two passes (got there late, and lost 1st rd) left about 1700 dumped clutch and timed it where it bogs motor both runs decent 60's (not trying to set low e.t.) 2.06 and 2.04 car ran 8.36@87 1st run, the second run was on about a 8.30ish but had to use the 13inch brakes a little and ran a 8.43 at 70mph on a 8.46 dail(yes was sandbaggin)
my car had only a bassani cat back.. and thats all... 1500 miles on it, so tires pretty new still. and i havent overheated them so they are still soft (big nasty burnouts are kinda hard on tires dries up the oils in the tire)

GUY WAGNER

Established Member
My Mods

Actually my car is all stock engine wise.My only mods are the Amazon Shocks,Kirban Shifter,MGW handle, traction control bypass,and Hurst T-Handle. I'm ready to go back to the track!!!!!
Guy

silvercoffin

Established Member
hmmm

Yeah I went to etown once so far this season and had a rough time too. I think it was mostly me being out of practice... I since had my car dynoed and...its not my car hehehe dynoed at 389 STD which is about right

anyway my 60ft werent great but i ran 12s with them last season 2.1 to 2.0 but my mph was way down 105-106 from 111 last season until my last run where i broke out with a 12.8 @ 92...hit the brakes hard cause i knew i was going to fast on a 13.2 dial in.

I ran 13.0 13.1 13.2 13.1 then lost the sec round of brackets with a 12.8 @ 92mph!

times are with kn silencer removed and nittos

best et to date 12.56 @ 111mph

100% stock 12.76 @ 110 and the win against an imp at Imports vs Detroit IRon!

BBriBro

Established Member
Originally posted by 03SLOBRA
For a benchmark just know that 2.0 60ft's on stock street F1's is what you should shoot for. Lucky for you every tenth in the 60ft is .2 on the big end. So a 12.9 is there for the taking.
My best is a 12.9 @ 111 with a 2.1 60' The launch was fairly consistent and actually easier to accomplish than I thought, (at low RPMs, about 2k ) It's the damn shifting that got me, that was very INconsistent, I can't wait to go back and redeem myself with the Tri-Ax

Users who are viewing this thread