My Firestone Tire review.

whyte_03

I got your HEMI hanging!!
Established Member
So I bought a set of Firestone WideOval 285/40/17's for the rear. Nice looking tire. Almost looks similar to the Nitto. I do not like how the lip rolls inward as it heads toward the bead. They ride great. But when you break them loose, they bark like a MOFO.. the BFG's never barked like that.. They WILL be going to the front and I will get something a lil more desireable for the rears soon.
they were only 176 a piece shipped to my door. AND they do not grab like the KDWS's do.

Last edited:

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Never bought a set of Firestone's again after the Wilderness A/T's Fiasco in the 1990's with the Ford Explorers lol...

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
Thanks for the info, whyte03

I have been wanting to go to a 285/40 R17 set-up on all four corners mounted on my OE 17x9's with the stock/OE suspension and exhaust. OR if I had to, go with a 255/45 R17 front & 285/40 R17 rear [similar to the GT500 but on 17's]

Did you have to replace the IRS bolts to allow clearance for the 285 width?

I have been looking at Yokohama, Nitto, Cooper or Firestone Brands. You seem to be the first to critique the Firestones.... what about wet-traction?

I just don't feel comfortable driving with the goodyear 275's [typical "road tracking/pulling" + weird wear-pattern] and think I should be on wider tires for normal street/highway driving. Plus I wanted to fill in the wheel-wells better without lowering it. And the added ground clearance couldn't hurt either.

whyte_03

I got your HEMI hanging!!
Established Member
Thanks for the info, whyte03

I have been wanting to go to a 285/40 R17 set-up on all four corners mounted on my OE 17x9's with the stock/OE suspension and exhaust. OR if I had to, go with a 255/45 R17 front & 285/40 R17 rear [similar to the GT500 but on 17's]

Did you have to replace the IRS bolts to allow clearance for the 285 width?

I have been looking at Yokohama, Nitto, Cooper or Firestone Brands. You seem to be the first to critique the Firestones.... what about wet-traction?

I just don't feel comfortable driving with the goodyear 275's [typical "road tracking/pulling" + weird wear-pattern] and think I should be on wider tires for normal street/highway driving. Plus I wanted to fill in the wheel-wells better without lowering it. And the added ground clearance couldn't hurt either.

OKAY.. here is some good info regarding these tires.. They are not a true 285 because I drove a Penske rental truck from Nor Cal to So Cal (560 miles) and the wife drive in front of me in the Cobra. Looking at the rears vs the
BFG GForce Sport 275's.. you can see that there is almost no difference and the width is no better than a 275. What I am going to do is put these firestones in the front and get a KDW 285, which will look more of a true 285. I do not know whats going on with all the discontinued tires. They do not seem to make a 285 40 17 in a KDWS which was by far my best hookable street tire and best overall tire. Even a 275 KDWS hooked great.
I am not saying don't run these tires but they do not have that meaty look that a BFG does (true size wise) and I do not like the lip as it goes into the rim. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread