My Finnish Ski Trooper rifle

Stopsign32v

Established Member
Here is another rifle I just got. Its a M28 "Ski Trooper" rifle from Finland. During World War I Finland captured alot of Mosin Nagants from the Russians and after the war they bought as many as they could from other countries. Sometime in the '20s it was decided by the Finnish that the M91 Russian rifle needed an update. The Finland Army adopted the M27 rifle in 1927 and in the following year the Finland Civil Guard (like our National Guard) adopted the M28. However unlike our National Guard the Civil Guard saw ALOT of combat (no offense to our National Guard).

With a great amount of competition between the service branches, the Civil Guard wanted to adopt a design that was in their eye’s a superior weapon to the M27. Plans were ordered from the Civil Guard's weapons engineers and arms designers to have specifications for an improved shorter barreled rifle design for production testing. This trial design was to be ready by mid 1927 at the latest. At this time frame in the military capacity of the Civil Guard, they had not yet gained the capacity to produce their own rifle barrels for the weapons they were equipped with. They looked abroad to the Swiss firm of Schweizerische Industrie-Gessellschaft or SIG for short to produce the new M28 rifle barrles.

The earliest versions of the M28 incorporated a second set of sling slots above the normal lower slots. These slots were added just below the comb of the rear buttstock. These additional slots were added to the first 6,000 stocks produced and were intended to allow the Guardsmen to carry the rifle across his chest while on ski’s or mounted. There are M28s in M27 stocks and vice versa but these are rifles that were returned for refurbishment/repair during the Winter War and Continuation War when the Army was in control of all weapons and their repair-not standard production variants. Many if not all M28s will also bear the Army’s boxed SA stamp [SA]. This is due to the Army’s absorption of all Civil Guard weapons during the Continuation War 1941-1944 and marking them as army/government property.

IMG_0890_zpsb2685c5e.gif

IMG_0891_zps1eee73fb.gif

IMG_0894_zps35e7a7b3.gif

IMG_0895_zpse55fbbe8.gif

IMG_0893_zpse0b4ecb4.gif

IMG_0896_zpsd39e4395.gif

IMG_0897_zps624fdc9d.gif

IMG_0898_zpsbf8dba3c.gif

IMG_0899_zps35b7480a.jpg

IMG_0900_zps9eb7e11d.jpg

IMG_0901_zps4293405f.jpg

IMG_0902_zpsfdd30f5a.jpg

IMG_0903_zpsddae746b.jpg

If you are wondering how a Ski Trooper worked. During the war they would ski through the Russian camps at night, grenading the kitchens, and shoot people as they sat by the fires to strike fear in the enemy. Before the Russians knew what were going on the Finnish troops would be gone. They also would ski through convoys and stop the front and rear cars to trap the convoy in the narrow trails through the woods. Another noted thing they would do is tie puukko (a type of knife) to their ski's and go past enemy soldiers and slit their throats as they passed.

finnish-ski-troops.jpg

CJ+02

sotil.jpg

images

Last edited by a moderator:

Stopsign32v

Established Member
A cool gift I found out after I got the rifle home...

IMG_0892_zps1c840523.gif

It is hard to make it all out but this is what is believed to be what some Civil Guardsman carved into his stock. Likely this is his Civil Guard number of his district. This is what is known to collectors as "trench art".

VictorySong

Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread