My fiance got creamed in the rear! No, I mean rear-ended. Pics inside. Need advice.

WOLFGANGSTA

Banned
Not to get all sentimental and mushy on you guys....but, my fiance left our house the other day to visit with her parents and we had the following conversation. Keep in mind that in the 2 years that we've been together, I've never said anything like this to her. It's weird how in the past 700+ days, this was the day I have this conversation with her.

ME: Be careful
HER: I will
ME: Promise? There's lots of crazy drivers out there.
HER: I know baby, I will.
ME: You better, I don't want to get one of those terrible phone calls saying you got in a wreck.
HER: I know honey, I know.
ME: I mean it, be careful.
HER: Ok, I love you.
ME: I love you too.

So, a quick kiss and hug and she's off to see her parents.

Fast forward to an hour and a half later. The phone rings. It's her, crying and in severe pain saying "hurry, come quick, I got in a wreck". I ask her where in the he11 are you at? She tells me she's at the entrance to our neighborhood which is just 7 houses down to where the main road. I run down there as fast as I can, not believing this is happening.

As I come up on the scene there's people all around her car telling her not to move and to hold still. Tears running down her face and the back end of her car is demolished. About 75 feet behind her is a newer Chevy 2500HD pickup truck with the front end smashed up, leaking fluids.

OF all vehicles that had to hit her...it just had to be a big a$$ Heavy Duty truck! She was sitting at a standstill waiting to turn left into our neighborhood when this guy comes flying up behind her, paying no attention and smashing into her car. HE even had a lane to the right of her where he could have went around her. That's what the lane is there for! To go around people who are turning left at that intersection. He hit her square on, which tells me he didn't even start to attempt to go around her. He even told me that he's sorry and simply wasn't paying attention and didn't "see her". That tells me that the guy was probably flipping through a CD case or jacking around with his radio....then slammed into her without even having the chance to hit his brakes. He left no skidmarks at all and like I said, hit her straight on, even though there's a right lane he could have used to go around her.

Notice the big heavy "hook" that is not the outermost point of his truck. That shows just how far everything on his truck is smashed back. In one of the pics you can see something white under the hood on the passenger side. That's the trucks AIR FILTER! It was such a hard hit that it exploded apart his factory air box and the air filter popped out! The wing to the Cougar was found about 80 feet away from the accident. YOu'll also notice how badly the sides of her car are crushed and wrinkled....The dude was going about 50, foot still on the gas and BAM! IDIOT :bash:

She got loaded into an ambulance with a neck brace and back board. X-rays at the ER showed no broken bones so they released her.

She's still in a lot of pain and her neck is swollen up on one side pretty badly. Here's the pics....anyone ever been rearended? Thoughts suggestions on what I'm going to have to deal with when trying to negotiate her doctor bills and the check for the totalling of her car? (The guys insurance already said that her car is totaled and they owe us for it)
What if they give us some rediculous offer for her car value? What can I do to fight them other than show them current running ads for similar cars? What if they don't budge on their offer?

wreckpics0015gz.jpg

aaaaa9oq.jpg

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/1420/aaaac5eu.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/1990/wreckpics0105qz.jpg

aaaab8zp.jpg

]

95riosnake

Established Member
Damn, that sucks. I have had people nearly hit me while waiting to turn left just like that before. I would say he was most likely hunting through CD's like you said.

As far as insurance paying for the car...I know Allstate has the "new car replacement" program, meaning they replace your wrecked car with a new version of it instead of just paying you the blue book value which may not be enough to replace the car (from what I understand). Although I don't know which insurance company you will be dealing with.

Good luck though man, I know it must be tough to see your wife injured because of somebody's stupid mistake. In the end, just be glad she is alive and didn't break her neck from that kind of impact...cars can be replaced and that will all work itself out, people can't be replaced.

openaccount

Established Member
Ouch, that sucks.

As bad as this is going to sound though... it might have been a good thing he hit her(bad for her maybe good for alot of others). If not he would have flown through the intersection and then REALLLY REALLY bad things could have happened.

If they give you a shitty offer, threaten to sue, that will prolly get them to change their minds.

DSGvert03

Established Member
i will tell you from experience... i was in a wreck a year and a half ago, the same type accident, they did xrays and found nothing, but there is a lot an xray doesnt show...have her go to an orthopedic surgeon, not a chiropractor, and have them check her out and send her for an MRI..this is what i had to do and they found 3 herniated disc in my lower back and 2 in my neck, ended up with lower back surgery and i am still on disability from this...Not everyone has to have the surgery but she will most likely need some sort of rehab...i have gone through a lot since my accident and i have a lot of knowledge about this stuff due to it...pleease feel free to pm me and ask anything that you may not know or understand..Ill help you out as best i can...good luck man and hope she gets better..

Rob

Nucking Futs

Established Member
Get a lawyer. Not any that advertise on T.V. or on roadside billboards. Find a reputable lawyer and let him/her battle it out with the insurance company.

I am not trying to imply you can't do it but he/she will know every trick and twist a insurance company will use. It will save you a major headache down the road.

drexebo

On a quest 4 an 03 cobra!
Established Member
that is not a 50 mph collision... things would have been much much worse than that. I'm glad your fiance is okay.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
That sucks dude, but glad she didn't get hurt bad.

I would do as the other guy suggested and get a second opinion on her neck. Lots of people go without getting anything done because they think it is ok, then years later shit f*cks all up. Do it now, that way they will have to pay for the bills. If you wait to late and there is something wrong, she might be stuck with the bills.

RacerDan

Established Member
The insurance co will try to screw you on the replacement of the car, but I wouldn't even be worried about the car right now. My brother got rearended and he had a good lawyer and got a decent amout of money, but he lives with back pain everyday. Meds help but the pain will probably never go away.

The insurance co will do a search and find the average prices for that car with the same amount of miles that yours had. Condition of those vehicles will not matter to them, just mileage and they will want to pay you the average.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Damn that really sucks man, sorry that happened.

As for getting money for a totaled car from insurance. . . . .I have been down that road unfortunately. It was with my brother's 93 300ZX TT in which some drunk A**HOLE nailed it while it was sitting out front of his house going 40 or 50. He didn't hit the brakes or anything. He hit the car so hard that it ended up in his neighbors yard :eek:. . . . .it was bad site to see. Anyways his car had lower miles on it and was in great condition but of course the money that was offered to him by State Farm was somewhat low. So I went online and found a bunch of 300's that were in the same shape as his car was that were being sold for a higher price than what State Farm offered him. I printed out the copies and my brother gave them to State Farm. They ended up giving him an additional $3,000 based solely on what I found on the Internet. So I would definitely recommend looking up similar cars that are similar to hers that are being sold. . . .that is if they give you a low number.

CSD

Banned
WOLFGANGSTA said:
The dude was going about 50, foot still on the gas and BAM! IDIOT :bash:
25-30mph is more realistic. The level of damage after a 50mph rear end collision would be much more severe than vehicle posted above. Glad to hear your fiance is doing ok, that's all that matters in the end.

WyoTechMSA

Rampage Skeet Hen
Established Member
drexebo said:
that is not a 50 mph collision... things would have been much much worse than that. I'm glad your fiance is okay.

I dont know man it had to be on up there because it takes alot to do that to a 2500. In 2 years at a body shop I have seen countless 25/3500 HD trucks that have been wrecked hard and rarely are they damaged that bad or have the bags popped.

Seeing as how this is a clear case that the driver of the truck was completely at fault it is unlikely the insurance company will try to jerk you around about your car. Ive been in 2 accidents, one was a clear case such as the one you and your wife are involved in, and the other was a more debatable case. You can guess as to which one they came off that green in quicker.

As far as the medical side though, I have no idea. Ive never been injured in a wreck so I wouldnt know how to handle it. I hope your wife gets better, and Im sorry to see this for you, I know first hand how much it sucks.

jbindahoos

'04 Comp Orange Snake
Established Member
Glad your fiance didn't sustain any serious injuries.....she'll be sore for a while though. Like someone said before, just stand your ground and let the insurance company know you're willing to fight and they'll usually give in. Afterall, settling with you for a higher dollar amount is alot cheaper than attorneys fees....good luck man.

Evil_SVT

Established Member
Im really sorry for what happened to your lady, hope she gets better!
But if you play your cards right she can be driving a brand new Ford GT!! Get a injury lawyer and get ready to get paid!
Their insurance company will try to get a hold of her as soon as they can and they will make her settle for just the amount of her car, DONT YOU OR HER SIGN ANYTHING!
GET A LAWYER! if the lawyer does not see a good case that you will not win he will tell you in the spot. There are many free consultation lawyers give them a call!
What if this asshole would had rear ended some else that children in the car?? teach him a lesson!

WOLFGANGSTA

Banned
WyoTechMSA said:
I dont know man it (the speed) had to be on up there because it takes alot to do that to a 2500. In 2 years at a body shop I have seen countless 25/3500 HD trucks that have been wrecked hard and rarely are they damaged that bad or have the bags popped.

Thanks for verifying that it is possible that the speed was near the 50 mph mark. We will never know for sure, but the speed limit on that road is 40. And you know that usually means people drive at least the limit and typically more. Cops are always out there a few times per month because it's an easy road to speed on and so many people do. (I know that does not necessarily mean that this truck was speeding...but giving you an idea of the road/conditions and the ability to speed in this area)

I was thinking the same thing regarding the damage to a 2500 HD truck. Look at the hood...it's higher than the back of her car and it still got crunched and pushed back. Like mentioned above, his air filter housing busted open and the air filter popped out! No little 30 mph "bump" is going to do that to a 2500HD! His radiator busted too and was pouring all over the street. Her car ended up 75 feet from the point of impact.

Not to mention that the impact of her car being thrust forward so fast caused her legs to fly "upward" and kick the bottom of her dash, cutting her legs....and then after the impact throwing her forward hard enough for her to have a silver dollar sized bruise on her forhead from smacking the steering wheel.

maybe someone has a psychics formula or car crash data to determine how hard of a hit a car like hers would have to take to be bumped 75 feet forward?

here's another pic....check out the wrinkles up the side. Neither door wants to shut properly and the CD's didn't want to come out of the radio either. Gives a little more idea of the impact.

aaaac5eu.jpg

Last edited:

drexebo

On a quest 4 an 03 cobra!
Established Member
WOLFGANGSTA said:
maybe someone has a psychics formula or car crash data to determine how hard of a hit a car like hers would have to take to be bumped 75 feet forward?

Give me the values for the coefficient of rolling friction on a Mercury cougar's wheels, their rotational inertia, the weight of the car, and data on exactly how long her foot remained on the brake after initial impact as well as the coefficient of sliding friction of the cougar's antilock braking system, as well as the weight of your wife and everything else that was in the car and I'll have an answer for you pronto. *disclaimer*I'm probably neglecting at least 10 other variables so the results of my equation are useless in the court of law*disclaimer*

WayFastWhitey

Gin and Jews
Established Member
getting a lawyer is your best bet, after hearing their first offer....if the first offer isnt enough or isnt satisfying, a few years ago i was coming through an intersection and hit a lady making a left hadn turn on a redlight....insurance company offered me very little money (i had a 1990 accord w/ almost 200k miles on it and less than 1k in med bills) so i went and got myself a lawyer....within 2 weeks i had a check for close to 6k for my car and 2500 in med bills....didnt owe anything on my car so i walked away w/ just over 6k after paying our lawyer

the only thing is now i will need a knee operation soon that may not be covered by her insurance company, when you settle like that you sign a waiver i guess saying you cant come back for future $ from this accident, but from what my lawyer tells me we can prove that my knee problems are related to this accident then they will have to pay....so just be careful in what you do

Skrapmetal

Established Member
That's spooky.

I nearly had the same thing happen to me yesterday. I was sitting at a red light waiting for my turn to go (there was very little traffic going my direction, and next to none going the other way. The light only changed because it's on a timer), when I looked in my mirror and saw an old beat up blazer flying up on my bumper. Right about when I saw her, she saw me and slammed on the brakes. She was sliding toward me so fast I knew she wouldn't stop... just by reflex I gunned it into the intersection and moved to the side. She slid all the way to the middle of the intersection before she came to a stop.

Sorry to hear about your girl... my mother got rear-ended when I was a kid, and she was fighting the neck issues for years.

Users who are viewing this thread