My father died and did not leave a will

Tispho

Established Member
My father was diagnosed with liver cancer back in Feb 2014, he recently just passed away. He was trying to make arrangements before he passed, but left us much earlier than expected and was unable to leave a will.

I have some legal questions that I do not know the answer to or are not 100% clear to me.

My father has a vehicle in his name that he is still making payments on. The pay off is 25k. Our family would like to pay off this amount and sell the vehicle so that we can minimize loss, but it seems very complicated and we don't know where to start.

If I am correct, the vehicle must be probated first by the court in order for us to sell it, but how do you probate a vehicle that your loved one does own because it has a lien on it?

The vehicle is also on autopay, and is draining his bank account every month. We do not have access to his bank account because it must be probated as well. We are hoping the timing is right and his bank account will not run out because we are afraid the vehicle might be repossessed once the finance company can no longer get payments.

What happens if the vehicle is repo'd? Are we liable for his debts such as repossession fees, auction fee, paper work fees?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
2nd, how does the court decide how to probate his property?

My dad is a father of three, and we want everything to go to our mother.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

3rd, both my father and mothers names are on a mortgage that still needs to be paid.

Now that my father has passed, does my mother have to pay any death taxes on something that she co-owns?

I am really worried because we are not the richest people in the world, and it seems like the gov't may try everything in their power to tax us, take what my father wanted us to have, etc.

I hear probating without a will takes a long time which is worrysome.

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
You can always make deposits to his account. No bank will refuse a deposit. A withdrawal is a different matter.

The estate should be closed pretty quickly as long as there is no suit filed by a relative and there is no real estate involved.

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
Sounds like this is beyond our (police) pay grade.

That being said, if I had to do it again, I would advise on 100% not allowing the vehicle to be repo'd. Long story short, my mom got $2,000 back when my dad's van got repo'd after he passed away when the van was worth $8,000. And that was with a lawyer. Park it in a garage if you have to until you get things organized. Otherwise, the bank will auction it off long before things get figured out through the court.

Last edited:

JPD5801

Established Member
Sorry to hear about your father. The estate laws are rather complex, and it would be well worth the money to consult an attorney.

hb712

Established Member
You need to consult an attorney licensed to practice in your state. Probate law is beyond police training and attorney's are going to be hesitant to give you advice on here due to the risk of malpractice. Good luck!

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
As has been said, firstly sorry for your loss. Secondly for stuff like this, an attorney is your best bet.

BMARZ

Established Member
Sorry to hear about the loss of your father, Tispho. As others have stated, consulting with an attorney will undoubtedly pay dividends in the long run.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Went through that and all depends on the family and laws of that state. Seems like if all the siblings agree one could he appointed executive and get things resolved but don't quote me because I'm no lawyer

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
the car will not be repo'd as long as payments are made. your mom should be on his bank account as well isn't she? and if she is on the title to the car then it does not have to be probated. same with the house and any other property jointly owned. anything in your fathers name only will have to go through probate however. as has been said .. get an attorney .. and soon.

Guy Fawkes

Established Member
Sorry for your loss. Im not a LEO (didnt see LEO only). The only thing I can answer is unless your mother was a co-signer the debt cannot be transferred. HOWEVER thats only if you dont acknowledge the debt. Meaning by talking with the creditors other than saying that person has passed, as in arranging payments or anything. Dont let them fool or trick you. You may have to provide a copy of the death certificate.

But from reading your description you want to keep it and pay it off, so if you go that route you are accepting the debt. So if it defaults its on you. Laws differ from state to state as far as transferring it. So yeah an attorney would be the best bet.

Tispho

Established Member
Spoke to the creditors, they said that we can voluntarily repo the vehicle without repercussions to ourselves since only my fathers name was involved with the vehicle. We're going this route to save ourselves the time and frustration. Thanks for all your help.

Last edited:

D2Fresh16

Established Member
Sorry for your loss man. As others stated each state is different. An attorney or even a CPA should be able to help.

sixbangr13

Established Member
Sorry for your loss. When my Mom passed 2 years ago I found these guys. It is free and they answered several probate questions for me. AVVO, just do a google search .

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Sorry for your loss, but here is a note for everyone. GET YOUR CRAP IN ORDER, GET YOUR FAMILY IN ON THE PLAN, AND GET A WILL. Sorry, spent the last couple of years sorting out the wife's parent's estate. They had stuff hidden everywhere, and didn't tell the girls squat.

Users who are viewing this thread