My F150 made its 1st 1/4 mile passes

BSB318

Established Member
I took my F150 to E-town today and made 3 passes.

The track was closing when I got there due to almost nobody racing.
My truck never sat for a second to cool down.
I literally did these 3 passes round robin from the moment I arrived at the track.

My truck was 100% stock with just 200 miles on it.
I still had more than 1/2 a tank left of the 87 octane fuel the dealer filled it with.
With that said , I had huge wheel hop issues.

1st pass I mashed the throttle off idle in 2wd with the traction control off. I immediately spun with bad wheel hop and let off approx. 1 - 1.5 second into the race then floored it again to finish the pass. 16.14 at 92.18 mph was the result. Not counting that one.

2nd pass I left traction control on and mashed the throttle off idle again in 2wd. This time it spun less with less wheel hop due to the traction control assisting. That pass was enough to get me to a 15.11 at 93.38 mhp.

3rd pass I turned off traction control , put the truck in 4wd and launched it by mashing the throttle off idle...Again.
Approx. 1-2 seconds into the run I shut off the 4wd and stayed in full throttle to a 14.89 at 93.30 mph.

I weighed the truck on a scale at the end of the track and my race ready weight was 5,350 lbs.

I figure I was carrying 100 lbs. more of fuel then I would normally have when racing , and the 87 vs 93 octane fuel probably hurt me 15-20 horsepower.

Factor all that in I probably improve 3 tenths to 14.5 and if I can hook with no wheel hop or spin maybe 14.3's ?

Maybe the track prep was bad and had something to do with my wheel hop issues but no way should it be this bad for a stock F150.

I just hope I did no damage from the wheel hop or going from 4wd back to 2wd during my passes.

009.JPG

Last edited:

TVSF150FX4

Established Member
I took my F150 to E-town today and made 3 passes.

The track was closing when I got there due to almost nobody racing.
My truck never sat for a second to cool down.
I literally did these 3 passes round robin from the moment I arrived at the track.

My truck was 100% stock with just 200 miles on it.
I still had more than 1/2 a tank left of the 87 octane fuel the dealer filled it with.
With that said , I had huge wheel hop issues.

1st pass I mashed the throttle off idle in 2wd with the traction control off. I immediately spun with bad wheel hop and let off approx. 1 - 1.5 second into the race then floored it again to finish the pass. 16.14 at 92.18 mph was the result. Not counting that one.

2nd pass I left traction control on and mashed the throttle off idle again in 2wd. This time it spun less with less wheel hop due to the traction control assisting. That pass was enough to get me to a 15.11 at 93.38 mhp.

3rd pass I turned off traction control , put the truck in 4wd and launched it by mashing the throttle off idle...Again.
Approx. 1-2 seconds into the run I shut off the 4wd and stayed in full throttle to a 14.89 at 93.30 mph.

I weighed the truck on a scale at the end of the track and my race ready weight was 5,350 lbs.

I figure I was carrying 100 lbs. more of fuel then I would normally have when racing , and the 87 vs 93 octane fuel probably hurt me 15-20 horsepower.

Factor all that in I probably improve 3 tenths to 14.5 and if I can hook with no wheel hop or spin maybe 14.3's ?

Maybe the track prep was bad and had something to do with my wheel hop issues but no way should it be this bad for a stock F150.

I just hope I did no damage from the wheel hop or going from 4wd back to 2wd during my passes.

View attachment 38625

Even if u shift from 4x4 to 2wd the trans needs a vacuum to complete the action, so there's no point in making the shift..... I launch in 4x4 with the e-lock on then unlock the rear after I pass the tree, then stay 4x4 until I pass the traps.....btw nice time..... The gulf with the 7eleven at Newark airport is the closest E85 to u..... I'd try it like that next time

Last edited:

BSB318

Established Member
Thx.

I will go back when I have like 2 gallons of sunoco ulta 93 in my tank and when there are a lot of racers beating the track groove better.

That alone will get me mid 14's I think.

Was I in 4wd for the whole last pass ?

When I turned off 4wd I heard a clunk in my drivetrain I was wondering if it did go back to 2wd.

Will running in 4wd on dry pavement til 93 mph hurt my drivetrain ?

What can I do about wheel hop ?

Whats your rear set up to prevent wheel hop ?

Does wheel hop destroy the drivetrain quickly ?

Last edited:

BSB318

Established Member
Just got back from Atco raceway.
Today I had a better prepped track that allowed me to launch in 2wd.
This time I had 1/8 of a tank of Sunoco ultra 93 instead of over 1/2 tank of 87.

As a result a 14.69 at 94.13 was achieved.
Air temp was 10 degrees warmer then last time I raced.
If I had that high 40's air like last time I may have broke into 14.5's.

Still 100% stock...

mechanicboy

Established Member
Thx.

I will go back when I have like 2 gallons of sunoco ulta 93 in my tank and when there are a lot of racers beating the track groove better.

That alone will get me mid 14's I think.

Was I in 4wd for the whole last pass ?

When I turned off 4wd I heard a clunk in my drivetrain I was wondering if it did go back to 2wd.

Will running in 4wd on dry pavement til 93 mph hurt my drivetrain ?

What can I do about wheel hop ?

Whats your rear set up to prevent wheel hop ?

Does wheel hop destroy the drivetrain quickly ?

My 12' would pull out of 4wd when I switched it after launch. It did the same when I had a light tune on it but once I had an agressive tune it would not longer do it. Many people think it wouldn't shift out but my trap speed was always about 2mph different between switching to 2wd and leaving it in 4wd the entire time. I believe the reason it would switch is because the throttle would close between shifts providing enough vacuum to perform the shift.

Driving in 4wd in dry pavement hasn't hurt my truck. I would recommend switching to 4wd before turning when possible. On the raptors they were designed to 100mph in 4wd and I've had mine close to 120mph well over a hundred times and well above 120mph a few times with no ill effects.

Just got back from Atco raceway.
Today I had a better prepped track that allowed me to launch in 2wd.
This time I had 1/8 of a tank of Sunoco ultra 93 instead of over 1/2 tank of 87.

As a result a 14.69 at 94.13 was achieved.
Air temp was 10 degrees warmer then last time I raced.
If I had that high 40's air like last time I may have broke into 14.5's.

Still 100% stock...

Nice. You should try e85, more torque down low and up high as it's equivalent to 105 octane.

What was your 60' this time in 2wd?

BSB318

Established Member
My poor 05 4.6 can't get outa it's own way . Reading this makes me want to upgrade lol

I did have a 2002 F150 regular cab , 6.6ft bed 4x4 from 12/20/2001 until 12/22/2009.

That truck had 3.55's with a limited slip rear and a 5.4 triton V8.

I ran 16.03 at 83 mph with that truck stock.

I never modded it...I sold it to be one of the very 1st 5.0 coyote mustang owners.

I wish I never sold that truck.

BSB318

Established Member
Here are my 2 slips.

I backed up my 14.69 with a 14.70.

If there was not a strong head wind that day and I never gained 60 lbs. on my fat ass I probably would have done 14.5's.

The air was about 60 degrees that day and not that cold crisp 45 degree perfect air.

001.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread