My experience with boss ls so far

mystickb1996

Established Member
Well a few weeks ago i had the opportunity to pick up and 13 boss ls with 2k miles. iv wanted one for awhile now and things just came together on the deal so i jumped on it. This car is truly amazing and lives up to its name imo. So far i have have done the basics, AED tune, intake, MRT off rd h with side exhaust and magnaflow axleback. For suspension i went with BMR handling springs and panhard bar which has turned out to be a disaster. In the pictures below that with only the rear bmr springs installed, the front have a manufacturing defect and will not sit on the mounts properly (picture below). i found all this out after taking it apart of course, but that's a whole different story. One small issue i did have is with the stock pirelli corsa tires that came on the LS, they had 2k miles on them and were cracked and had an egg in the side wall. Luckily pirelli warrantied all 4 tires for me which made me happy considering there about 500 a piece. anyone that's on the fence about buying one of these id say just do it, the car feels unlike any other mustang iv owned and just feels special to drive. Not really sure what direction i will take this but kinda looking at that new whipple 2.9 in the future..

thumbnail_Screenshot_20160508-224752_zps6q8ufl03.jpg

thumbnail_Screenshot_20160508-224729_zpsvoqwqbgm.jpg

thumbnail_Screenshot_20160508-224839_zpsrqzzypq6.jpg

thumbnail_Screenshot_20160508-224822_zpszqtzrerd.jpg

thumbnail_Screenshot_20160508-224901_zpsnbl2miot.jpg

thumbnail_20160413_115546_zpsmkj9oovq.jpg

thumbnail_20160413_115535_zpsztsiyc9n.jpg

thumbnail_20160418_015402_zpsxzxp1axi.jpg

20160507_110004_zps8hb2yqlo.jpg

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
Congrats.... Hope you enjoy your Boss as much as I have enjoyed mine so far.... Fun cars!

Jabooh1

Established Member
I had the pirrellis as well. They are R compound tires and mine had small cracks after a few heat cycles. No bubble though... that's bad.

Did you contact Kelly with BMR about the springs? They are usually good with customer service.

Welcome to the club!
A9F4703F-A909-4BDF-A1C1-7FC5F2064D73_zpslol8clnb.jpg

Last edited:

mystickb1996

Established Member
Thanks! I was just happy Pirelli stood behind there tires. The new ones are super soft and handle great. The springs have been a nightmare. As of now bmr is not offering the handling springs due to this issue. And the process to get a revised set will take months. They sent me a set of gt500 handling springs that I installed but it didn't lower the front at all, it's actually around 1/4" high then stock.. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet but swapping springs is getting a little old. The handling is amazing and not to stiff but the overall look needs to come down. Front and rear
Btw great looking boss! Wheels look great

Jabooh1

Established Member
I have the Steeda Boss springs... they didn't drop enough. I was going to switch to BMR springs but will now wait.

F.D.Sako

Established Member
Don't quote me on this, but the springs might be ok. Once the shocks are installed, it'll straighten out.
Again, I havent replaced springs on the mustang yet, but hopefully someone with experience will chime in.

As for the tires, not surprised they dried up while the car sat in a garage. Now you just make sure to drive the car with the new tires, so they dont dry rot as well! :p

Congrats on the car, stay safe and enjoy it!!

mystickb1996

Established Member
No the original springs i got from BMR will not work, BMR confirmed this as they pulled a set off the shelf and had the same issue. also notice the picture shows the spring installed on the strut. the mount sit so off center that it folds the 2 piece mount no matter how you tighten it or apply the spring pressure to the mount.
Thanks sir, i plan of driving its a little more than the last owner but still want to keep the miles down.

shoracer

Established Member
You want the Fays 2 Watts link instead of the Panhard bar. The difference is amazing.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
Second on the watts. I just replaced bmr panhard with bmr watts and it is a tremendous difference. Much flatter response though a bit stiffer over the bumps

ford20

Established Member
I don't know if I would go with the Fays 2 but a watts link would be on my to do list.

guarnibl

Established Member
Probably going to get laughed at this, but I actually enjoyed the Boss a lot more when it was N/A vs when it had the 2.3 Whipple on it, FWIW. Yes, it was very fast with the Whipple (car put down 580 and 600 to the tire -- 91 tune vs 93 tune), but the car makes enough power with full exhaust/intake/tune for street use that I didn't feel the blower was worth it.

IMO, for me, the perfect setup was exhaust, intake, tune, suspension, tires (custom set of Forgestar CF5 wheels with 19x10 295's up front and 19x11 325's out back - R888 tires -- still have them actually, no one wanted to pay decent money and figured I'd be back into a Boss again some day). The car stuck to the road like glue. You could throw that thing around way more easily than my 911 (though not a Cayman). Hell, my suspension mods weren't technically even fully done yet... had FRPP lowering springs, relocation brackets, arms, torque brace, and that's it.

Not a big fan of the GT350. I'd probably get myself into another Boss though, but right now we're building an '01 Cobra.

Enjoy your Boss LS OP!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread