My engine is smoking...HELP!

pugsly1989

Established Member
So lately I've been having a problem when I go downhill my engine smokes a decent amount and seems to be down on power randomly. I pulled the number 8 plug but it looked fine. I haven't done a compression test but I have a feeling it isn't going to turn out good. Does anyone have any idea what it might be? My best guess would be something with the rings.

CPRsm

Down hill, hard engine braking w smoke is usually a seal or guide. It creates a ton of vacuum and pulls down oil.

Riptide

Established Member
If some makes it by a worn guide or seal how big of a problem is that? Can it run a long time like that or will it get worse quickly?

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
There are many possible causes, a compression test would be a good place to start before you get to deep into it. Thankfully it is not the end of the world either way, we can rebuild the engine and add some forged internals while we are at it. Start with the compression test and let us know what you find.

MMR
www.modularmotorsportsracing.com
1-877-MOD-POWR

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
If some makes it by a worn guide or seal how big of a problem is that? Can it run a long time like that or will it get worse quickly?

That would be a condition (if it is in fact valve seal wear) that it can run on for quite some time, the oil however that is burning will eventually hurt the 02' sensors and cats. We would lean more towards a damaged piston or rings, the compression test will show this.

soSincerious

Established Member
How does the oil look on the dipstick? If it has a diluted thinned out look, dark gray in color, could indicate fuel mixing into the oil, blowing past the rings. Can sometimes be misty vapor when you remove the oil fill cap after shutdown, and the oil can have a fuel mix smell

pugsly1989

Established Member
How does the oil look on the dipstick? If it has a diluted thinned out look, dark gray in color, could indicate fuel mixing into the oil, blowing past the rings. Can sometimes be misty vapor when you remove the oil fill cap after shutdown, and the oil can have a fuel mix smell
The oil seems normal to me. Hopefully I'll be able to do the compression test tonight or tomorrow

Users who are viewing this thread