My engine has seen better days *Pics inside*

indycobra

Established Member
Hello all,
I was listing this for sale as a long block but I decided to pull the heads today to make sure I wasnt robbing anyone and Im glad I did. One of the cylinder walls looks scored pretty badly (#4) and the heads dont look to good either. I was having problems with smoke on startup so I bought the 1/05 heads and have them ready to go on but now i think I may need a shortblock rebuild. If the cylinder wall looks like that Im willing to bet the pistons dont look to good either what do you guys think? So now I am stuck with rebuilding this shortblock because I refuse to pass on problems to someone else. Does anyone know if places like Modular Perfomance will rebuild your existing shortblock or do they strictly sell their own shortblocks. Nobody is answering there phone right now because they are all at the NMRA race. I was thinking of doing a budget build keeping my rods, block, and crank and just adding some diamond pistons and arp everything with my new 1/05 heads on top. My car only has a 2.8 pulley non ported blower but I would like to prep it for more down the road. I would love to hear any advice you guys may have. Oh yea how do you get that stupid water pump off? I have all the bolts out an it wont pull out. any tricks?:beer:

9aff3023.jpg

e18ea9aa.jpg

0e4936cd.jpg

89d2340f.jpg

jhein2580

Established Member
indycobra said:
Does anyone know if places like Modular Perfomance will rebuild your existing shortblock or do they strictly sell their own shortblocks. Nobody is answering there phone right now because they are all at the NMRA race.

Noticed you were in Indy so I would recommend calling Precision Autosports in Dayton, OH to see if they can help you out. Very good preformance shop and a good friend of mine.

Web page is www.precision-autosports.com but for some reason it is down today so I would just call them. 937-320-5950.

Hope this info helps you get the Cobra back on the road.

04whitesvtlight

the beast is almost mine
Established Member
the guy's at modular performance will not be back untill 9/14 and if you send them crank and block it is not that bad for a build up i am sure you can send them your rods and it will be cheaper.

mustangmike01

Established Member
I bought a 03 cobra with 10k on it and I heard it run and everything. The guy that was putting the motor in my car wanted to open the motor. I told him ok and that's what he found when he opened it up:cuss: But it was #7 and 8. So I bored it 10 over and new pistons and rebuild the heads with top parts and ported them too. That's all I had changed, it gose in, in November. The guy I bought it from had a mail order tune too.

indycobra

Established Member
LargeOrangeFont said:
What was the LM-1 saying?
Its been about a 18 months since I had my LM-1 hooked up because I loaned it to someone to tune there car and they kept if forever. Here are the last couple graphs it was making on a couple runs I did. I was just coasting slowly in i think 3rd or 4th gear and flooring it up to redline. So RPMS in crease on the graph with the time. I dont have the rpm option on my LM-1

8.jpg

9.jpg

indycobra

Established Member
KissMySVT said:
Who did the tune for you? :nonono:

My car was tuned by RWTD (runnin with the devil) email custom tune. RWTD even looked at these very same graphs and said it looked good. They would send me a tune via email then I would upload it with my predator and make a run while recording with the LM-1. I wish now I would have just gone to a dyno shop and had a professional tune done. Hell, the predator and LM-1 cost me around $750 at the time much more than a tuning session. Oh well you live and learn.:cryying:

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
12.1:1 a:f did not kill your engine.

the water pump is an o-ring seal so just keep tugging on it.

By the look of the plug, The car was most likely leaner than 12:1 before the damage occured.

I agree that 12:1 dosent kill these engines, but the heat it produces does.

Ashley

indycobra

Established Member
Well hopefully with my new 1/05 heads, an LDC cooling mod, and a whipple I can get rid of some of that heat. Other that the smoke on startup the car ran great like this. I just ran a 12.1 @120 at IRP not that long ago with the motor in this condition. I wasnt really letting it cool between runs though, It was my first time racing on any track and I got pretty excited and wanted to just keep getting back in line. I wont do that again.

indycobra

Established Member
My engine keeps looking worse and worse. I removed the rods and pistons today to find the damage below. My #5 rod bearing looked like it was ready to spin any day. Im glad I tore it apart now. The car was running great too, i just ran a 12.1 a few weeks prior to the tear down. Im taking the shortblock to be rebuilt by modular performance this weekend. Well enjoy the pics :pop:

DSC03503.jpg

DSC03488.jpg

DSC03483.jpg

DSC03491.jpg

DSC03485.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread