My Double Din Swap

coldair

I use the search function
Established Member
Heres some pics of my swap in my 2000, took a whole day but well worth it. For the money the Jensen vm9242 can't be beat. Had to use some paint stirrs to prop up the bottom but no one knows thats there but me right?;-)

IMG_6164.jpg

Makeshift shop light.....
IMG_6169.jpg

IMG_6199.jpg

Last edited:

hittinboost

Established Member
The finished product looks good. I just wish there was a cleaner, more solid method of doing this.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Do they not make a double din replacement?

goldenbear

Established Member
You could just use buy a bezel from a 01-04 but OP's method was free and seems to work just as well.

I'm sure he did use a bezel from an 01-04. He simply cut the tabs that were on the way. The 99/2000 bezels use tabs at a different location, so those must be removed before using the 01-04

mooch29

Low n' Slow
Established Member
How hard are these things to wire in? I have no experience with them nor would I know what to do. I've been thinking about doing something similar, yours came out great!

coldair

Established Member
Yeah I used a bezel from a 01-04 I just had to cut the tabs that held the original radio and some other minor fab work. It definitely wasn't no cake walk but not impossible

Tango7

Established Member
I did this last year in my 99 cobra and was one of the best things I did.. there is a how to in the New Edge Cobra section on how I did mine.. Yours looks great.

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
How hard are these things to wire in? I have no experience with them nor would I know what to do. I've been thinking about doing something similar, yours came out great!

the wiring is VERY basic and is usually color to color connections. Some cars that need major interface harnesses (i.e. factory Mach or Bose style crap) can cause some annoying extra wiring.

In the end....its very basic.

coldair

Established Member

Thanks man I appreciate it, the wiring was honestly the easiest part, for my car, a 2000 non mach they supplied a wiring harness for my ignition power, red, yellow etc, just plug and play there. For the speakers grey, purple, multi color wires i used my existing wiring harness and just spliced and crimped them together. Once you get started its not so bad just match up the colors just make sure you have a good wire stripper/crimper. And I am by no means electrically inclined haha

FineLineMtrSprt

I like bacon!
Established Member
I hate wiring systems up...but buying from crutchfield they "usually" give you everything you need. The OP did a good job for his first time trynig it. As far as jensen....im not a fan of them but on a budget...they are better than a Boss or other craptastic headunit.

coldair

Established Member
Yeah that's what i thought, it was the lesser of the evils but I'm pleased it'l work for me

twista

Band'edid
Established Member
I read that as "make shift shift light" I was wondering why no-one was burning your ass cheeks about using a office light as your shift light.

Users who are viewing this thread