my dogs killed the neighbors cat

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
You cannot blame a cat wandering around and expect the animal to know (this is Mr. Badass' house with his big mean dogs, DO NOT ENTER) that's not how it works.

I wouldn't. I'd blame the owner for letting the cat wander around outside. My Dobe hated cats. If one got into our backyard while he was back there and got caught, I'd feel bad for the cat, but wouldn't blame my dog.

FJohnny

Established Member
Plain and simple: if you overreact and harm my dog, you'd better have plenty of ammo left.

If your animal is free roaming at the vets, you are in for a sad day if your animal attacks mine.

This is a flat out amazing topic and has has my imagination racing. Just for context could someone give me an idea what percentage of vet patrons would likely be packing? (Both on person and in the vehicle they came in.) I imagine it varies by state but don't really have any clue as to what would be normal.

We were in a Dick's Sporting store in Florida last year. In the golf department I didn't notice a single person carrying but when we got around to buy binoculars and drool over the gun case we noticed at least 3/4 of the customers visibly had a weapon on them. I'm guessing the golfers did as well but we were not observant enough and weren't looking for it. For the rest of the trip we discussed which guns we would own if we lived there.

Final question. Do you automatically look for signs that people around you are carrying or do you just assume that everyone is?

Sorry to hijack the dog/cat topic but I just had to ask. As a Canadian gun lover the whole thing has fascinated me for years.

All the best.

Smooth

Well Seasoned
Established Member
My Lab free ranged 3 different places I lived for his 15 years, the first 2 years were a city lot, the next 6 years were about 4 acres and the last 7 years were the 26 acres I'm on now, none of those places were fenced.

I would get up in the morning, feed him and then let him out the back door.

After coffee, shit/shower/shave and getting dressed (30 minutes or so), I'd open the back door and, most of the time, he'd be there waiting to come in. If he wasn't there I'd whistle and wait a minute or two and he'd come running.

I taught him the boundaries of each lot and he never strayed. I'd watch him from time to time and see him walk up to the lot line, particularly in the city, and sit down and watch the neighbor kids play or people walk by in the street.

Listened better than any human I know.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
So let me get this right, if you're at the veterinarian and a dog is free roaming (as they sometimes can be) you're going to shoot the dog if it comes near you/your cat. Good example...

Plain and simple: if you overreact and harm my dog, you'd better have plenty of ammo left.

They better have plenty of ammo because you are going to do what? Calling your lawyer from the station or something else?

I love animals. I love them more than people but if an animal was harming or threatening myself, wife or my animals, I'd have the same response James Garner had in Tank when he talks to the sheriff at the work camp where his son is imprisoned.

KilledbyKenne

Established Member
They better have plenty of ammo because you are going to do what? Calling your lawyer from the station or something else?

This is essentially what I was talking about in my response. I just wasn't as eloquent. I care for my animals, but if someone shot one of them dead in a similar (extreme) circumstance I sure as hell wouldn't be going after them in that moment.

And to the guy saying he'd shoot a dog in a vet office for going after his cat that isn't in a kennel like it should be... really? If that is your instinct, I'd rather you not carry a firearm in public settings.

Zemedici

Established Member
Our cattle dog free roams on our property, but it's gated with a 6' woven wire fence.

Last week, he was at the fence barking at someone who was turning around by our gate. The person put down their window and threw something at our dog, and left before I got a chance to get on the 4 wheeler and catch him. That pissed me off good.

should put a gopro on her chest.

Bam license plates.

Bam some of your boys in blue pay him a 'personal visit' :)

Zemedici

Established Member
We've discussed putting a go-pro on his collar. It would be interesting to watch :D

absolutely! See what antics he gets into during the day, but also for instances like this.

My mom told me a story from when she was growing up. She LOVES animals (one of those psychotic middle aged women who believes dogs lives > human lives type deal), and when she was younger (pre teen age) she was in the truck with her dad, and the car in front of her jumped the curb to nail a dog in a yard, and drove back onto the street. It tore my mom up, and her father, who was NOT an animal person, saw how it upset her, and at the next stoplight, he put the truck in park, walked up the car that hit the dog, knocked on the window, and hit the guy in the mouth when he rolled his window down.

Everyone went on about their merry way.

Wish you could get away with that shit now.

KilledbyKenne

Established Member
We've discussed putting a go-pro on his collar. It would be interesting to watch :D

It would be cool to see what kind of mischief he gets into when no one is watching. Lol

I've seen a video or two of people setting up cameras to see what their dog does while they are running errands for a couple hours. It's pretty funny to see how much time they spend sitting at the door just waiting. Loyal animals, that's for sure.

Orange95

Reality is only as far as you can see
Established Member
SVTP delivers. I hope we get cctv footage from the veterinarian office shootout.

Every dog I've had over the past 20 years has free roamed our farm with no issues. In most places the only barrier being barbed wire. I guess it's hard for me to relate to city problems.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
My Lab free ranged 3 different places I lived for his 15 years, the first 2 years were a city lot, the next 6 years were about 4 acres and the last 7 years were the 26 acres I'm on now, none of those places were fenced.

I would get up in the morning, feed him and then let him out the back door.

After coffee, shit/shower/shave and getting dressed (30 minutes or so), I'd open the back door and, most of the time, he'd be there waiting to come in. If he wasn't there I'd whistle and wait a minute or two and he'd come running.

I taught him the boundaries of each lot and he never strayed. I'd watch him from time to time and see him walk up to the lot line, particularly in the city, and sit down and watch the neighbor kids play or people walk by in the street.

Listened better than any human I know.

Well trained dogs are a beautiful thing...and also very rare. You are a good pet owner and it shows. So many people are idiots and have no clue how to train a dog and shouldn’t be allowed to own even a goldfish ...that’s the real problem.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
So let me get this right, if you're at the veterinarian and a dog is free roaming (as they sometimes can be) you're going to shoot the dog if it comes near you/your cat. Good example...

Not sure if threat, or you are taking a generalized post and imaging some cowboy scene where you "save the day" and think you're completely justified that it is OK for unrestrained dogs to wander vets and scare smaller animals that are already sick and stressed out.

Just about every Vet I've been to has signs that state "All animals not in a doctor's office must be leashed or in a cage" or something to that effect.

You won't believe how many times people have large dogs walking around lose in the lobby and how many have approached my cat and barked a foot away. Why should I not react to that?

I carry a small 6 shot sig and can place my rounds like you wouldn't believe. Are you one of those that thinks it is OK for your dog to wander and ACT AGGRESSIVE (by aggressive I mean trying to get inside my cat carrier or growling, which has happened to me) to smaller animals, GTFO buddy.

Words do not mean actions. I'll tell the owners how I feel, not going to sugar coat it. But, if they don't comply a second time, I'll escalate to management of that establishment. IF, IF the dog ever lunged or growled at me or my animal, bet your ass I'll be ready to draw. Why should me or my animal be harmed because of ****tards that cannot restrain their animals?

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
This is a flat out amazing topic and has has my imagination racing. Just for context could someone give me an idea what percentage of vet patrons would likely be packing? (Both on person and in the vehicle they came in.) I imagine it varies by state but don't really have any clue as to what would be normal.

We were in a Dick's Sporting store in Florida last year. In the golf department I didn't notice a single person carrying but when we got around to buy binoculars and drool over the gun case we noticed at least 3/4 of the customers visibly had a weapon on them. I'm guessing the golfers did as well but we were not observant enough and weren't looking for it. For the rest of the trip we discussed which guns we would own if we lived there.

Final question. Do you automatically look for signs that people around you are carrying or do you just assume that everyone is?

Sorry to hijack the dog/cat topic but I just had to ask. As a Canadian gun lover the whole thing has fascinated me for years.

All the best.

I look for tells. A lot of badasses, probably like some on SVTP, have tells that they are carrying (sarcasm)

People that stand certain ways, backs to a wall usually, but, mostly if they keep looking or touching a certain part of their body, like a back pocket, their lower back or hip. I personally pocket carry and carry EVERYWHERE that doesn't have a legal "no weapon' sign out of respect.

I'm learning to live in a condition yellow lifestyle and have always been the type to mind my surroundings, no where my exits are and who and what is around me and who I am with when out in public.

Orange95

Reality is only as far as you can see
Established Member

All the best.

In my area, I would estimate 6 out of 10 people either open or conceal carry. It doesn't matter if it's at the vet or the grocery store. Personally, I assume everyone is carrying, but people do have tells as already stated.

Users who are viewing this thread