My Dog woke me up this morning...

freebass55

Established Member
She was barking for a good half an hour stright until my wife made me go look to see what she was barking at. What ususally happens is, that she has a possum cornered and the damn thing won't move. Well, that was the case. The thing was sitting on top of our chain link fence. When I went out there the dog got brave. She jumped up and grabbed the thing by the tail and started to chew on it. By the time I got her off of it, it was too late. Anyways, I can't sleep so here are the pics.
dsc01438ln5.jpg

dsc01441jb2.jpg

Last edited:

freebass55

Established Member
That was the first thing I thought of. I don't want her to get sick. So, I already moved it to the front and will call animal control in the morning. She can't get to it now.

Lightning LA

Mark it ZERO!
Established Member
My Grandma lives next door to me and she has these fancy Fantail Pigeons,over the past Month a few has been turning up dead.I have been wondering what had been doing it,so about a week ago i heard all heck breaking loose in their big cage at 2:20 a.m. So i go out there and sure enough a Big Azz Possum had one of her Pigeons eating it,i truck it back in the House and grab my 22.Then i proced to put a bullet in it's head,it's crazy how still they get with a bright light in their face.But those are some tough azz critters,i had to shoot it about 4 times in the head to get it to quit kicking!So i think i've solved the Pigeon mystery,and i'll be damned if 4 nights later at 5:30a.m i had to kill another Possum that was having a early morning Pigeon snack!I talked to a few people and they told me that they usually run in two's,so i probably took care of the problem when i killed Possum number 2.I couldn't believe how small a space they got through to get in the cage,so now i hope i took care of the Possum Problem once and for all!

Fenah

Crazy Greek Man
Established Member
i guess that opossum had it coming. :shrug: Hope the dog doesnt get sick.

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
bro, why did you not immediately remove your dog from the critter? Shouldve did that instead of took pictures. You need to take your dog to the vets immediatley

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
gross. Fuuny thing is, my old chihuahua also cornered a possum and then attacked it. but i was lucky enough to get him away before he started to eat it.

Robb327

HP Junkie
Established Member
I had the same thing happen 2 weeks ago,my bassett hound grabbed one off
the fence. The thing is when he grabbed it he pulled on it so hard the opossum died when he hit the ground.I guess it hit his head in the right spot
is that normal my hound weighs 66 pounds.

WyoTechMSA

Rampage Skeet Hen
Established Member
Gross I hate opossums. Whenever there is one in my backyard I always shoot it with my .12 gauge. Hope your dog doesnt get rabies.

yellowbra

Established Member
I don't have a problem with oppossums but rabbits. They never learn. I swear my dogs kill one every week. Usually i can get them to drop it but they won't until it stops moving. One time i came home from a party(i was all drunk) and they got a rabbit and the other dog wanted it too. So they proceeded to play tug a war with it before i smaked them and had to pull the bloody rabbit out of there mouths. I don't call animal control i just throw them in the garbage out back. BTW i have two sebian huskies.

Team Dave

I broke something
Established Member
I *hate* Opossums. I haven't seen them in years, but at my old house I'd see them a few times a month. My old 2 Sheltie's would kill em, but then leave them dead on the lawn. One time they somehow got the hose on top of it, and it had left a dent in the Opossum's chest. Kinda gross.

I'm surprised my new Shelite hasn't gotten ahold of one yet. He's bigger than my last 2, younger, a LOT more energetic, and will attack anything that moves (he barks and tries to get birds flying through the air, LOL).

I guess Opossums are close to being extinct around here?

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
Ugly looking critters. I never actually sawone in person until about 2 weeks ago. I was in a rental car and came down a fairly quiet road at night and one was right in the middle fo the road. I never slowed down b/c I thought it would run out of the way. Well it remained motionless (froze) in my headlights. As it passed directly under the rental, I wondered if he coudl pass entirely under the car without getting hit. A fraction of a second later "thump" he hit near mid car and I could feel it in my feet. Saw him there the next day.

Ps. I would not let my dog even sniff one little own chew on one.

Users who are viewing this thread