My dog just passed away :(

SVTContique

So my dog of 16 years just passed away, pretty sad because i grew up with her. She was an awesome dog who loved to swim and run and play, she was probably the happiest dog ive ever seen. She outlived what we expected by a couple years, as a Golden Retriever she was only supposed to live to 12ish, she made it to almost 17 (119 in dog years).

:(

mach1033

Established Member
i feel your pain. i was very sad when my golden passed away. like yours he swam and ran with me back in my marine corp days. i still have pics of him and its been 14years gone by.

ssssnake

Established Member
Golden Retrievers are such cool dogs. I'm glad you had her so long, but I'm sorry for your loss. It's hard to lose a friend.

THE_STIG

Established Member
I'm sorry to hear that. I have a Sheltie and he is 13, we have recently had a few scares when we thought it was the end, luckily he has pulled back but I know its coming soon.

SVTContique

Thanks guys,

she was a great dog, we have 2 others now which are both awesome. Just sad to see her go. Im glad she never suffered a day in her life though.

SVTContique

I'm sorry to hear that. I have a Sheltie and he is 13, we have recently had a few scares when we thought it was the end, luckily he has pulled back but I know its coming soon.

Thats basically what we have had to deal with. Past year or so she really slowed down, she still loved to run to the gate (live on an acreage) and meet people but the past 2 weeks she was having trouble standing up from laying down, her eyes were watering more and more. I knew it was coming, doesnt matter how much you prepare, still hurts when it happens.

flS/R

Established Member
sad day :( it is good to hear that you had many good years with the dog

THE_STIG

Established Member
Thats basically what we have had to deal with. Past year or so she really slowed down, she still loved to run to the gate (live on an acreage) and meet people but the past 2 weeks she was having trouble standing up from laying down, her eyes were watering more and more. I knew it was coming, doesnt matter how much you prepare, still hurts when it happens.

My dog started pacing around, walking into things, stopped playing. Took him to the vet, she said he had a minor stroke and he went blind and deaf from it, luckily though he is on a medication and he has regained both his sight and hearing but its not what it once was. I have had this dog since I was 10, hes been my roommate, fellow bachelor, hes like my brother. I don't know what i'm gonna do when he goes.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
If you are a man you will suck it up and do what is in the DOG's best interest and remember the good times

My dog started pacing around, walking into things, stopped playing. Took him to the vet, she said he had a minor stroke and he went blind and deaf from it, luckily though he is on a medication and he has regained both his sight and hearing but its not what it once was. I have had this dog since I was 10, hes been my roommate, fellow bachelor, hes like my brother. I don't know what i'm gonna do when he goes.

Op it always sucks but at that age, you got a lot of good memories to focus on.

Last edited:

uh0h50

Established Member
Thats terrible man. Losing a dog can really be tough. We lost out German shepard mix about a year and a half ago and I still think about her almost every day. Just remember the good times you had with yours. And it was because of you that your dog had the great life it did. Don't forget that!

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
That's sad but atleast she lived a full life and died naturally. That's the worst part of owning a dog

Snake Pliskin

Teen Idol
Established Member
I lost both of mine early this year. It is one of the hardest things to go through in life next to losing actual family. Since you care enough to post it here , I suggest that you mourn for an appropriate length of time and then get a new puppy. Dogs deserve love,a good life and home like you will provide. Give a new dog a long and happy life when the time is right. They deserve it and so do you.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
So sorry for your loss. They are always around in spirit. Please check this book out either at your library, or bookstore: Dog Heaven, by Cynthia Rylant. It is sooooo cool. It really helped our family after we had to put our sheltie, Rose, to sleep after she had several strokes.

Satyr

Established Member
Sucks when that happens. My parents just had to put our chocolate lab to sleep a few months back. She was a great dog, very loving and protective of the property. She loved chasing the ball around when I would play catch years ago.

Sometimes, losing an animal is just as hard as losing a friend...especially when you've attached yourself to them over the course of many years.

Users who are viewing this thread