My Cool Shift Lights

BlackCobra96

I was wanting to install a shift light for some time. 7200 RPM's comes aweful quick in 1st and 2nd gears when the boost kicks in.

Most aftermarket ones that tacked on to the steering column or dash didn't look clean, and the ones hidden in the vents aren't aimed well. So I created my own.

I got super bright LEDs and installed them in the A-pillar. You can use these things as flash lights -- they're brighter than what the picture shows. Now no more missed shifts now. What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Personally if you went thru the trouble of drilling holes into your A pillar cluster I would have taken off the stock guage bezel and drilled holes there. Because your line of sight is much better to your tach and speedo than a boost guage on the A pillar. But looks good none the less.

BlackCobra96

I was thinking about the gauge cluster. My goal was to set it up so I wouldn't be looking down, as I was doing when shifting based on the tach before installing the shift lights.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by BlackOnBlack
I was thinking about the gauge cluster. My goal was to set it up so I wouldn't be looking down, as I was doing when shifting based on the tach before installing the shift lights.

That's what I'm saying though, you'll be looking forward the whole time then BAM nice bright LED in your eye to let you know. Sort of the samething with what you have but fromt he side I know but just a thought. Maybe I'll do mine in the bezel :rolling: .

ALLNTRL

Established Member
How are they set up and what are you using to make them work? I like the install, very clean. :thumbsup:

BlackCobra96

Thanks for the compliments. To make it work, you need a Summit RPM Activated Switch. This switch can be used to activate something at a set RPM, such as my shift lights. Or it can be used to deactivate something at a set RPM, like a NOS system to prevent redlining while on the juice. It uses dip switches to set the RPM's so you don't have to buy pills. The switch comes in a small black box that I mounted behind the the gauge cluster...lots of room back there. It taps the same wires as any shift light. There are lots of articles on how to do this, so I won't get into it.

The LEDs are panel mount super brights with a brightness over 7000 MCD's. The only place I found that sells them in quantities of less than 1000 is radlites.com (don't buy cheap ass Radio Shack ones--not bright enough). The red ones aren't listed on the website so you have to call to place the order.

The LEDs mount anywhere where you can drill a 1/4 inch hole about 1 inch deep and run wires to it. The install is pretty simple if you take your time to do things right.

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
Plus if you sell the car, or want to go back to stock someday (yeah, I'm one of THOSE guys :) ) you can just pull the pillar pod and wires...its good to go.
Nice work!

TwoToneFreak

MMMM, Spintechs!!
Established Member
Damn that is a nice set up Black:beer: I wish I would have been smart enough to think of something like that before I punched a hole in my dash to mount my monster tach w/ shift light:bash: :bash: Props on the ingenuity:beer: :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread