my contour wont bark 2nd gear

Y2KSVT

Established Member
RTStabler51 said:
I still don't get the issue of 'barking' gears unless you are trying to impress ricers. It could be a simple issue of having decent tires on the car. Put crappy tires on it if you want to feel cool and bark the gears. ONly thing that is going to get you is broken drivetrain parts.

AMEN!!! You $30 per tire people, are the ones crying about traction. So do you want traction, or do you want to look cool by spinning your tires? My SVT doesn't even put out that much power(206fwhp/195fwtq), but I'd imagine it's more than most of the people posting in here. Ask Jim(BeyondloadedSE) what happens when I slam 2nd gear. Not a bit of spinning! What happens is, there's a violent jerk forward and you swear the dash is going to come unbolted! Why do you think that is? It's because I put GOOD tires on the car(suspension helps as well). Then again, I'm the kinda person that will sacrafice a long lasting tire, for one that is going to hold the road.

Mark

beyondloadedSE

Established Member
Y2KSVT said:
Ask Jim(BeyondloadedSE) what happens when I slam 2nd gear. Not a bit of spinning! swear the dash is going to come unbolted!
Mark

haha, hes not joking folks. All you hear is this "BANGGGG!" within the car from the tires not breaking loose and the dash wanting to fly out. Love that feeling. :banana:

SpookSVT

Established Member
Kind of like my spec 3 when ever you side step that thing. The PP just slams the thing against the flywheel and you're moving, it's quite violent! It scared the heck out of me the first time I went do it, the car just bit the pavement and I didn't expect it, head back in seat, jaw down, eyes wide open, neck still aching....

I dumped the clutch on a roll in 1st at 4K, I wasn't in the throttle and dumped it and squeeled the tires. That is also with the zetec FD too. The spec 3 is a hard biting clutch. Like you said, the dash wants to come out.

Y2KSVT: What tires are you running? I was thinking of getting some BFG KDW's as a summer tire when I get this bad boy on: http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/678557/7

Last edited:

drivebymashing

Established Member
my tires were 100 bucks a piece there decent for the price
bfg g force sport 225 50 16 im not too concerned with barking gears
i just want it faster to me faster with the same tires meant traction loss

csvtjohnga

Established Member
i've got my stockers back on with crappy tires and i lose traction at 3rd.
i'd put my 17's and barely catch a second, i like the sudden jerk forward when i slam third with my 17's. more meat on the ground and less spinning means you'll go quicker then someone chirping the tires. i agree with Mark and Beyond. i still like chirping third though lol...

Y2KSVT

Established Member
SpookSVT said:
Y2KSVT: What tires are you running?

I've got Bridgestone Potenza RE-070's on now. They're some take-offs from my buddy's old STi. 225/45/17.

The set I just took off, due to a nail going through in a non-belted portion of the tire, were Dunlop Super Sport Race tires in the same size. 60 treadware! Unfortunately, I'd have to have one shipped over from Europe for $500 per tire, if I wanted to replace it. Nobody carries them in the states anymore, so I just put the Bridgestones on that I had in my garage. :coolman:

A nice tire that provides awesome straight line traction, that won't break the bank, are the Falken ZIEX-512's. I went through 2 sets of them on my E1 wheels, and they were awesome! 2.13 60' time proves that. :D

Mark

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
csvtjohnga said:
i've got my stockers back on with crappy tires and i lose traction at 3rd.
i'd put my 17's and barely catch a second, i like the sudden jerk forward when i slam third with my 17's. more meat on the ground and less spinning means you'll go quicker then someone chirping the tires. i agree with Mark and Beyond. i still like chirping third though lol...
Bigger rims & tires also mean (typically) more rotional mass and less HP making it to the ground.

SpookSVT

Established Member
Y2KSVT said:
A nice tire that provides awesome straight line traction, that won't break the bank, are the Falken ZIEX-512's. I went through 2 sets of them on my E1 wheels, and they were awesome! 2.13 60' time proves that. :D

I have them on right now except their 205's and they do bite. I'm real impressed with them. The potenza's are nice. I had S03's on there when I got the car but they didn't have much tread left and wouldn't pass inspections. I'm going to get E1 wheels when i have the money and put a nice summer tire on there then go back to my E0's.

drivebymashing

Established Member
oh yeah i live in western north carolina
is there anyone else near here that knows anything about a csvt
i want a 3l engine in my car dont have the tools or a place to do it
i dont trust these stupid idiots at these shops in my area
needing mechanic thats knows what hes doing

Users who are viewing this thread