My Cold Air Intake design

SVTJONES

Established Member
I am going to try and design my own cold air intake for my CSVT. I will not have my CSVT for a until this weekend but I am going to try and get the design finalized before I get it. Here is my idea.

Custom enclosed inatke filter (K&N cone). The box will be made of lexan so it can be seen through. On the end there will be an adapter to hook up piping that will rin inder the car and will have then air forced into it by a ram air effect. The air will be run into the car by driving of course. my boss use to work for Acura and said this will work good. What do you guys think. I was just looking for intakes for this car and can't find much and you guys said shoshop.com is useless. this one will look good and should perform very well as well. all of the heat from the engine will be shielded by the lexan and only cool air will be pulled in from outside. what do you guys think

rilestoneSVT

Established Member
I forget who, but someone had tried this on their CSVT and said that it didn't work because when the car was idling it wouldn't get enough air... I have had a friend pull the same trick on an old mustang with great results so I'm not too sure. In theory it should work just fine and will probably look great too, but historically this site has always promoted the open air filter with home made heat shield because it seems to work best.

If you can, give us a before and after judgement once you've finished your project.

Good luck!

DemonSVT

The Mad Modder!
Established Member
Bad idea.

You will get no more airflow then the small hole can support.

Meaning if you have a 3" inlet hole that is just 7 sq/in of incoming airflow ability.

An RU-3530 filter has over ~107 sq/in of filter area. Do the math!!!

That's part of the reason the stock SVT airbox is so restrictive. The proverbial sucking through a straw.

More proof
K&N drop-in in the stock airbox = 1-2FWHP
K&N drop-in without the stock airbox = 6FWHP
On a 165FWHP engine that's a significant gain.

SVTJONES

Established Member
My design is kind of like the kkm but the filter will be totally enclosed in a lexan box which will have a 4" opening or larger if possible that will have tubing attached to it. the intake itself will not have the tube attached to it like the kkm but the box will. the tubing will run down and if possible just below the front bumper and will act like a scoop for the air. the intake shoud hopefully be able to breathe at idle as well. the filter will be completely shielded from the heat

Last edited:

BLACKSVTCONTOUR

GOT SVT?
Established Member
Remove Snorkel?

i have the kkm intake on my svtc, my question is if i remove the snorkel would that allow more airflow, since its so restrictive? is that a good idea, and has anyone done that on their svtc? :rockon:

they didn't make an svt cougar :nono:

showtime

BLACKSVTCONTOUR said:
i have the kkm intake on my svtc, my question is if i remove the snorkel would that allow more airflow, since its so restrictive? is that a good idea, and has anyone done that on their svtc? :rockon:

they didn't make an svt cougar :nono:

i've had my KKM for years & tried different thing....its not gonna make much of a difference...

you could take that stuff out & get a bigger filter, but still the gain is probably not worth the effort.

EternalOne

GMK on the FastCougar forums sells a Duratec CAI already, in CF or polished pipe, and the filter ends up inside the fender. It works well, and is being used on close to 100 Cougars/Contours already.

E1

all costume SVT

Established Member
YEAH IT IS A PAIN IN THE ASS!! I went back to stock. It worked well at high rpm's but comming to a stop it was too low and would shut off. I am trying a new thing this summer, rip out the factory air dam in the fender and hook a hose to the end of the stock box and run it down underneath the battery so it comes out at the bottom tie bar. This I think will keep the hot air from the engine out and suck in the wind. I if you put a scoop at the end like they have for home gutters you'll have a better flow.... maby we'll see. I post picts on my new one!

Its just that "DAM" MAF unit

Steeltwo

Established Member
all costume SVT said:
YEAH IT IS A PAIN IN THE ASS!! I went back to stock. It worked well at high rpm's but comming to a stop it was too low and would shut off. I am trying a new thing this summer, rip out the factory air dam in the fender and hook a hose to the end of the stock box and run it down underneath the battery so it comes out at the bottom tie bar. This I think will keep the hot air from the engine out and suck in the wind. I if you put a scoop at the end like they have for home gutters you'll have a better flow.... maby we'll see. I post picts on my new one!

Its just that "DAM" MAF unit
the stock airbox = minimal gains.

Users who are viewing this thread