My car won't pass emission testing in Texas

spinscan

Established Member
My battery went dead during our cold weather a couple of weeks ago and I charged the battery and took it to have inspected. Well it wouldn't pass and the guy said I just needed to drive it 100 miles or so.
I did that today and the MIL Status showed two Readiness Status areas not completed.
Catalyst
Evaporative System.
Does anybody have any advice on how to clear these so it will pass?

MG0h3

Established Member
Just google the procedure

Never had a catalyst problem so I’m guessing that resets pretty quick. Again, I would google it.

The EVAP I have done.

Have to have certain fuel level. Certain amount of stop and go and then certain amount of time on the freeway between 55 and 65 or something.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

hotcobra03

Established Member
Like above post. Here we don't have that part of testing.

But Texas is weird.

I live in Atascosa County but do most of my stuff in Bexar County,

I found I can inspect in both no problem,but registration is only Atascosa for me

However while doing my drivers license
I took written in Atascosa but for road test it was easier to do Bexar County being I work there.

Couldn't take test,,they said you have to do written and road at same place,

So i took written twice.

Not sure if your county forces inspections to be local for emission reasons.

Good luck

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
Does Texas sell "Collector" tags??? With an SVT certificate and $25 I never have to worry about emmissions/inspections in OH. I hope you get it sorted out with nothing more than a drive cycle.

MG0h3

Established Member
This is just drive cycle test and any TX testing site is going to flag him

I thought it was 2 not ready but I guess you can only have one.

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
Does Texas sell "Collector" tags??? With an SVT certificate and $25 I never have to worry about emmissions/inspections in OH. I hope you get it sorted out with nothing more than a drive cycle.
I put my pick up on collector plates in 2009. It was 25 year rule here in Washington state then. Just checked, it is now 30 years. And here is the kicker, I guess we dodged a bullet here. The original bill was supposed to make the year rule 40 years old. And they were going to try to enforce the occasional driving law. Jeeze squeezing every penny out of us.

MG0h3

Established Member
I put my pick up on collector plates in 2009. It was 25 year rule here in Washington state then. Just checked, it is now 30 years. And here is the kicker, I guess we dodged a bullet here. The original bill was supposed to make the year rule 40 years old. And they were going to try to enforce the occasional driving law. Jeeze squeezing every penny out of us.

WA no longer has emissions testing as of last year

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

spinscan

Established Member
This is just drive cycle test and any TX testing site is going to flag him

I thought it was 2 not ready but I guess you can only have one.

Yeah they only allow one. I had three originally and did the driving thing but that only got rid on one.

spinscan

Established Member
Thanks for the replies but I'm kind of at a loss of what to do. I've done the driving, some stop and go but mostly highway more than 120 miles and they still show not completed.
It's crap that your battery dies and you have to go through this bs to pass an inspection in this state.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
My car used to sit for a while. When it did, I made sure to put a battery float charger on it just to avoid this very issue. If you can get a OBD2 code reader you can test after several miles to see when all sensors switch to the "ready" state.

Users who are viewing this thread