My car made the center fold :) (non ford)

InfraRed

Skyline
Established Member
I got a sneak peak from a guy over in England who uploaded this photo of January's issue of Performance VW. For anyone interested, it will be hitting stands around the middle of next month. My car along with 7 other members of our car club were featured as a group :banana:

centerfold.jpg

car_garage-3.jpg

You can see more pictures of the car and other pictures I've taken at my website JakeG.com

It's not a Ford, but I figured I'd post for those who enjoy my car :beer:

InfraRed

Skyline
Established Member
do your wheels stick further out then your tires?

they sure do :burn:

17x11 with a 235/40/17 :D (please spare me the safety pep talk)

3085762624_5bec7624e9.jpg

3085779650_a4a311f263_o.jpg

The wheels pictured in the magazine spread are my old wheels. The ones above are the new wheels, but I don't have a nice camera any longer to take any decent pictures of them. (point and shoot ftl). Hopefully I'll have a new camera soon to get some nice quality pictures.

99cobra302

Established Member
they sure do :burn:

17x11 with a 235/40/17 :D (please spare me the safety pep talk)

3085762624_5bec7624e9.jpg

3085779650_a4a311f263_o.jpg

The wheels pictured in the magazine spread are my old wheels. The ones above are the new wheels, but I don't have a nice camera any longer to take any decent pictures of them. (point and shoot ftl). Hopefully I'll have a new camera soon to get some nice quality pictures.

im not gonna lecture you on safety, but why would you want such a small tire on such a huge wheel? im not one to hate on other peoples cars at all cause i am an automotive enthusiast, not a "if-its-not-a-mustang-it-sucks-guy" ...but thats just .....fugly. how do you drive it when its so low and the wheels stick out so far?

InfraRed

Skyline
Established Member
haha the hood was off for paint when i took the picture.

and it's cool, some like stretch some don't. my reason for doing so is the same reason it's always been, so the wheel will "fit". without the smaller tire, there is no way I'd be able to run the 11 in the rear without a huge tire getting in the way. with that said, i'm 95% positive i'm the first in the world to throw an 11" wheel on this body style golf.

now i know i could pick some proper wheels that actually fit, but i've had my heart set on building the wheels exactly like that so a small tire will be the sacrifice to do so.

the car is indeed on air. when i drive i only lift the rear up enough to get the fender off the tire and the front lip is only a few inches off the ground.

Buddy17

Avid SVTP(er)
Established Member
i bet you wouldn't have made it with those purple wheels you used to have! Congrats on getting the centerfold, but i'm with everyone else around here...why not just get a smaller rim instead of having to stretch a tiny ass tiny over it??? Makes abso-fuggin-lutely no sense...who cares if you can fit an 11" wide wheel on, that does nothin to improve anything on the car...

If it weren't for the stretch, i would have to say its a sharp car none the less...why is the hood getting painted?

InfraRed

Skyline
Established Member
the name of the wheels are Mercedes Benz Alphards (off of an SL500).

there is no point in having an 11" wheel other than saying , hey cool...I threw an 11" wheel on the car. It serves no performance advantages since the car is FWD...so the having a skinny tire or a fat tire on there really makes no difference in that regard.

the honest truth of why those wheels are 11" is because I've wanted to build a set with 3" lips in the rear and this was pretty much the only feasible way to get those lips on those wheels and get them on my car. when dealing with 3 piece wheels, you have to factor in the width of the barrel, the face, and the lip and then you have to start calculating how the offset changes when adding different components. I could have swapped front barrels with the rears to get a final size of 10.5" in the rear and it would have sat in a little further I believe, but wasn't sure how that would factor in with the offset if I did that, as I am only aware of how to calculate the offset when adding larger lips lol.

not sure how it screams rice :shrug: it screams old school euro...just done on the new gen body.

Last edited:

Buddy17

Avid SVTP(er)
Established Member
what size rim is the benz...are the tires stretched on those also? It looks like it tucks nicely under the fender, and looks pretty good in that form...at least from this angle

Dominion

I'm your Huckleberry..
Established Member
you know i love your car man, but im not sure im liking the new wheels. i still think the old ones in the magazine were tits. congrats though!

Users who are viewing this thread