My car is on this ship

99arboC

Established Member
I got a email the other day about a incident on the ship my 2013 mustang gt is on. It was being shipped from Germany to the U.S. I got another email saying I will get more info next Friday when they unload the ship. I found this info on the ship. Also some other reports of upto 100 cars burnt to a crisp.

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2015/0...-deliveries-for-military-families-114648.html

I might be getting a new car. I just hope our household good s we're not on this ship.

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
man that sux big time. Hopefully your HHG will be fine as well as the car. I remember when the military moved us from Germany back to the states they put a forklift through one of the crates and damaged some antiques we had. thankfully the damage could be repaired and they paid for it but dayum what a pain in the ass

99arboC

Established Member
Thanks guys

Just waiting on a phone call or email saying all is good or bad. If the car is gone most likely go back to a fox or get a f100.

99arboC

Established Member
Here is the latest info.
if my car is not damaged it will be they say something about wash the vehicles.

This sucks!

We remain committed to keeping you informed about your POV and are providing this update to the message sent to you on Friday, 12 June.

The origin and causal inspection started in Southampton, as projected, on 13 June, continuing through 14 June and part of Monday, 15 June. Results have not been released yet but all damage to the vessel appears to have been on the upper decks. We anticipate damage to cargo will follow the same pattern. However, our preliminary inspection of POVs was conducted using flashlights in the holds of the vessel since lights were not operable. We will not declare any POV without damage until IAL can wash and inspect vehicles pier side in Bremerhaven using IAL inspection teams. It is for this reason that we cannot say whether or not your POV sustained damage during this incident.

M/V COURAGE sailed from Southampton on Monday and is now berthed in Bremerhaven. German authorities are reviewing the discharge plan and examining the cargo to ensure there is no hazmat issue that will harm personnel, non-damaged cargo and the environment. Since the ship owners have been in regular contact with port authorities, we anticipate that the discharge plan will work and the process will start either late Friday or Saturday. The cargo discharge may take several days as stability of the vessel must be maintained during the entire process. The official IAL damage inspection will occur after the POVs are discharged.

IAL will continue to provide information to you on a regular basis with our next planned update on Monday, 22 June. We are contacting every Member whose POV was on board the M/V COURAGE directly.

Sincerely,
IAL Customer Service

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
hope you took some good pics of your car before it was loaded on the ship. you may need them by the time this is all over

nate714

Established Member
Man that's some bad luck. You may want to look into incident reports and the location of the fire. Generally on ro/ro ships (roll on, roll off) or auto carriers, the light weight vehicles would be stowed on the higher decks for stability reasons. Your car would probably be up pretty high. The household goods would be inside containers attached to a trailer chasis down lower or closer to the ramp. I usually work on container-ships but I've overseen cargo operations on a couple of ro/ro ships.

This is just speculation, the stow plan could be very different if the ship was making numerous cargo stops. Unfortunately, investigation processes for ship incidents are usually pretty long.

99arboC

Established Member
I feel sick!
Sounds like my car is gone. Just got this

Of the 461 vehicles that were on M/V COURAGE, 241 are in the same condition as when turned in for onward movement to final destination. The owners of those vehicles have all been notified of the projected ETA. Though not yet confirmed by our four party inspection process, the remaining 220 vehicles are expected to be a total loss. IAL makes this assessment based on the POVs already discharged plus the location of the 95 vehicles still on the vessel.

So now I wait for the claims department to contact me. They say they will pay clean nada retail,but my questions is what about mods? Have of some my receipts but not all. I just put a $600 driveshaft on It a month before shipping.

badbiach

"Frame Twistin!"
Established Member
I feel sick!
Sounds like my car is gone. Just got this

Of the 461 vehicles that were on M/V COURAGE, 241 are in the same condition as when turned in for onward movement to final destination. The owners of those vehicles have all been notified of the projected ETA. Though not yet confirmed by our four party inspection process, the remaining 220 vehicles are expected to be a total loss. IAL makes this assessment based on the POVs already discharged plus the location of the 95 vehicles still on the vessel.

So now I wait for the claims department to contact me. They say they will pay clean nada retail,but my questions is what about mods? Have of some my receipts but not all. I just put a $600 driveshaft on It a month before shipping.

You would hope that they would let you have access to your car to gather your "personal items".

99arboC

Established Member
I didn't have anything in the car.
Also there is probably just a charred shell left.

Last pic I took right before dropping it off to be shipped
2187D161-FA5A-46F7-B29C-69EC4AB9F3E7_zpsxdgx0txg.jpg

99arboC

Established Member
Got the confirmation earlier this week the car is a total loss worked out a deal with shipping companies insurance today so just waiting on paperwork and payment. Moving on to something else.

Users who are viewing this thread