My car ate a 13mm deepwell socket!

n0xlf

Established Member
Or so it seems...There I was, trying to tighten the PITA nut on the back lower side of the plenum and my 1/4 drive 13mm deepwell shot to the back and disappeared...

Near as I can tell, it probably went to the center and down, and I would think that it is lodged on the the top of the transmission somewhere (anyone have any pics of the top of our tranny?)...

Anyway, I spent hours trying to get this thing back...Even jacked up the car and felt around everywhere I could reach, but nothing...

I hate having tools floating around! Wouldn't mind my 13mm socket back either...

I'm going to bring home a fiber optic scope from work tomorrow and see where that gets me...

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
Heh- when I was putting my shifter on I "lost" a small open ended wrench in between the tranny tunnel. After a couple days I went back in there and dug it out

3GROC

Established Member
my old Camaro SS ate about 4 sockets when I did my header install a few years ago

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
did you try turning it upside down dude? :lol1: Just joking...sorry to hear that bro!

71stang99

Established Member
At least its not an aircraft :beer:

Seriously just hit a few speed bumps and listen for the clink, then youll know the sockets out :rolling:

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
An extendable magnet might help. I dropped the radiator nut/clamp and couldn't see or feel it. I stuck a magnet down to where I though it was and wiggled it around and Dah Tah! [remember Kelly Bundy?] there it was.

[Kelly Bundy used to say Dah Tah! instead of Tah Dah!]...Little known Married with children fact of the day.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Originally posted by flyn high again
[Kelly Bundy used to say Dah Tah! instead of Tah Dah!]...Little known Married with children fact of the day.
The things you can learn on this site. :beer:

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Race it down the driveway, foward and reverse, slamming on the brakes.
Worked on my truck. :)

Shane's93LX

Established Member
Somehow, a 5/8 Stanley wrench ended up between the bottom of my lower intake and the lifter valley once.. that could've been bad!

n0xlf

Established Member
And what really tops this off is that I spent a ton of time under the car, which really wasn't supported all that well...In my obsessiveness, I somehow justified the locating of my $1.99 socket over my life...

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
It actually fell on a rag, and rolled off and is sitting against the wall in your garage/shop. I was convinced I was going to have to pull the transmission in mine, until I looked over and it was stuck in a seam in the concrete:bash:

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
I've dropped a bolt INTO THE CAT before. I needed a magnet to get it out. And the bolt wasn't all that small.

n0xlf

Established Member
Ha! Found it! Thank god for the fiber scope, or I never would have got it...There is a hole between the engine and the tranny that is further to the front of the car than where you can see...It was about the perfect size for this socket too...

Probably damaged more stuff in the process than if I would have just left it, but at least I won't have to wonder about any mysterious metallic rattling sounds from under the hood...

Users who are viewing this thread