My camshaft timing

MAZZ MAN

Established Member
well here it gos, i have a 01 cobra with 03 heads and cams and it is vorteched. i have rebuilt my short block and have degreed my cams and the split i have is 110 intake and 113 exhaust. does this seem ok to you guys. i see a lot of conflicting info on this what do you guys think.

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
The stock LSA is 114, so you're a little tighter than that at 111.5(+1.5). That's usually good for NA, not so much boosted. You're not off my much though, so I would file your keys a little to get the alignment you need. As for whether you want your final alignment advanced a couple degrees, that's up to you.

MAZZ MAN

Established Member
any one else have any info for me . i would really appreciate it. the 110 113 split was the closest i was able to get it with it being even on both banks. i also read that a smaller lobe center will help cool the exhaust valves. idk so much info out there , any thing would help. thanks

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
There's so much to learn on cam timing it's hard to condense. In general overlap is more conducive to high RPM/NA builds as it helps scavenging. For forced induction you don't want as much overlap, because then you're more prone to waste the incoming boosted charge right out the exhaust.

Just pulling up a generic Comp supercharged cam for the 4.6 DOHC, they list it as a 116 LSA (pretty wide, vs. your tight 111.5). But that's also longer duration. In short, I would stick to 114/114, maybe advance or retard a few degrees depending on your goal. It shouldn't be hard to do a little filing to get your intakes to 114.

Users who are viewing this thread