My Bone Stock '00 GT Beats a 1996 C4 Vette!

xilix

Too Stock
Established Member
I was at a light, with the Vette behind me. The Grand Sport Paint job was what cought my eye. On the green I pull off slowly, throw it in second and make the left turn, taking the right lane. He takes the left lane AND the hit, in first gear. I nailed it, walked about 2-3 cars and was stuck there like glue all the way to about 5200rpm in 3rd. He was speed shifting too. Not only that but I was a passenger heavy! I was so friggen STOLKED. Could my GT have mods I don't know about? Because I totally thought I would get walked all day long by these cars. There wasn't a hint of him starting to reel me in at all. Maybe it was just a tired old vette with high miles? Either way I'm still pretty happy about it.

Here is a link to the street we were on.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=e...9793,-72.624469&spn=0.0113,0.027401&z=16&om=1

KduncSS

Ille qui nos omnes servab
Established Member
Hmmm....Im not sure what the outcome SHOULD be, but you won so feel proud LOL. If Im not mistaken LT1 Vettes run mid to low 13s stock, so your car isnt as fast down teh 1320, but on the street it doesnt matter. Are you sure it was an LT1 model(u said Grand Sport, but that can be aftermarket)? The outcome would make much more sense if it was an L98 equipped C4. You can hardly tell the difference in body styles. A coworker had a exhaust/intake 6speed 89 Vette, and it would outrun our other coworkers intake/exhaust auto 01 GT 9 times out of 10. This was all racing from a stop ofcourse, from a roll I think the GT would have pulled him a little.

Last edited:

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
A LT1 '92-96 C4 and a 99-04 GT 5 speed are a good match. My Dad has a '92 LT1 6 speed Vette that I used to drive sometimes for fun, and a friends Dad had a new '02 GT 5 speed, both cars stock except for a drop in K&N filter. We used to race a lot and the outcome was always determined by who drove better. If you raced a real Grand Sport though (which has the LT4), he should've beat you fairly easily. Most GS's dyno around 290-300 stock and weigh around 3300-3400 lbs.

Tunnelvision

Established Member
As I recall, those Gran Sports had a 330 horse LT4, some 3.4? gears and a are a little lighter than your car....good driving / kill!

C6 Vette

Established Member
The best a new edge can muster in stock form is a 13.8 Tops!! Any LT1 C4 should put one on a 99-04 GT...The Grand Sport is either the LT4/LT5...I can't recall which...But a Grand Sport would demolish you..Did you notice if the rims were Black? The Grand Sports were Blue with white striping over the top with Black rims...

LS1Mike

F-body whore
Established Member
I had a bone stock 1991 M6 TPI vette that ran consistent 13.80's at 102.xx mph. Changes are you raced a TPI vette.
The LT1 vettes run low to mid 13's easily.
Good kill none the less!

Last edited:

xilix

Too Stock
Established Member
C6 Vette said:
The best a new edge can muster in stock form is a 13.8 Tops!! Any LT1 C4 should put one on a 99-04 GT...The Grand Sport is either the LT4/LT5...I can't recall which...But a Grand Sport would demolish you..Did you notice if the rims were Black? The Grand Sports were Blue with white striping over the top with Black rims...

It was exactly like this one, black wheels and everything..

http://www.stencilsandstripes.com/Corvette Grandsport.JPG

Maybe it was a clone, who knows. If it was, it was done right. Right after the race, he pulled into one of those dealerships on the map. I pulled into the gas station to get gas. As I was filling up, I saw him drive past not more than maybe 1 minute later. Maybe he was embarassed or something. I dunno why, I love vettes and love to race whether I win or lose.

A few weeks ago I got my ass WAXED by an Evo and still gave him the thumbs up. It's all fun, win or lose. All I know is that I feel a little better about my car now, even if it was just an LT1. He got the hit, solo, in first gear, and I could swear I didn't hear him lift for the shifts. I was in second gear at 2500rpm and a passenger heavy. I have to start bringing my camcorder with me when I go for rides.

Edit: Over at procharger.com you can see an 02 GT snag a 13.67 with just a catback exhaust. Though, it was a shit-hot driver.

Last edited:

C6 Vette

Established Member
xilix said:
It was exactly like this one, black wheels and everything..

http://www.stencilsandstripes.com/Corvette Grandsport.JPG

Maybe it was a clone, who knows. If it was, it was done right. Right after the race, he pulled into one of those dealerships on the map. I pulled into the gas station to get gas. As I was filling up, I saw him drive past not more than maybe 1 minute later. Maybe he was embarassed or something. I dunno why, I love vettes and love to race whether I win or lose.

A few weeks ago I got my ass WAXED by an Evo and still gave him the thumbs up. It's all fun, win or lose. All I know is that I feel a little better about my car now, even if it was just an LT1. He got the hit, solo, in first gear, and I could swear I didn't hear him lift for the shifts. I was in second gear at 2500rpm and a passenger heavy. I have to start bringing my camcorder with me when I go for rides.

Edit: Over at procharger.com you can see an 02 GT snag a 13.67 with just a catback exhaust. Though, it was a shit-hot driver.

Something must of happened to that Grand Sport to not put a beating on you.You mentioned he was on his shifts,so the other alternatives are a poor running Vette,or a cloned GS..Not taking anything away from your kill,but with the performance disparity between the two cars in question,it's puzzling.....Anything can happen in a street race,and kudos on your part for a great kill!!!

xilix

Too Stock
Established Member
That's the only thing I can think of. If it was a real GS, I could see it walking away granny shifting, let alone bangin'em hard. I hope I see him again so I can ask him whats up with his ride.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
.... my 95 Auto Camaro LT1 ran 14.1 stock... the C4s were a bit quicker so I would have expected a different outcome here but it didnt happen... regardless good kill.

Tunedprt91

Established Member
Blue03Cobra said:
That would be the L98. Damn, vette guys, learn your engine codes...:p
I think he was just giving his input saying a lt1 should be faster than his. I had a 91 also but I dont type out l98 everytime I said something about it. Check my name:D

xilix

Too Stock
Established Member
Thanks guys. In the past 4 weeks or so I've beaten: another GT (same year, vert..), a BMW 528i, an older M3, a newer Maxima, an MK3 Turbo Supra (that was an AWESOME race!! I just got him by half a car at the top of 3rd gear) and my girlfriend in her Grand Am.

She's always messin' around with me on the road. She said that when she gets her next car I better watch out. But by that time I'll probably have my next car, which is going to be the Fox Body project I want to do for my best friend who just passed away. I can gaurantee.. she won't be catching me in that thing.

Users who are viewing this thread